Television The Spy (Netflix)

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
New miniseries released just today about the Israeli spy Eli Cohen who infiltrated the Syrian government during the 60s.

It has Sacha Baron Cohen in the lead role, so should be interesting on that basis alone:

Rooney24

Watched most of this over the weekend. Thought it was excellent.

Completely different role for SBC but hes brilliant in it.

wr8_utd

:'(
Surprised that there's not been more updates in this thread. Just finished it and I think it's one of the better shows I've seen this year. Excellent performances all around.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I actually watched this months ago and thought it was great, SBC manages to do well in a serious role.

wr8_utd

:'(
I actually watched this months ago and thought it was great, SBC manages to do well in a serious role.
Yeah it's not exactly a role you'd expect him to do and he's fantastic. He deserves his Golden Globe nomination.

Amir

Why didn't they have the actors speak Hebrew/Arabic/the proper language where they was? Couldn't make it past 10 minutes because of this.
Instead they all spoke english with an accent... It was especially weird for me as some of them are Israeli.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I got past the language/accent thing pretty quickly. The first episode feels really by the book and standard but the show gets really good around the halfway mark. Hard to believe it's a true story at times.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Instead they all spoke english with an accent... It was especially weird for me as some of them are Israeli.
Even a news broadcast in Tell Aviv with a dozen people bunched around it was done in English. Very weird, although now I'm asking myself why I didn't have the same issue when I watched Spielberg's Munich over 10 years ago.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Wasn’t HBO’s Chernobyl done in English, with English actors speaking with English accents?

Old Ma Crow

The accents etc didn’t bother me at all. SBC better than I expected, but I sometimes still expected a burst of “eees nice” or “booyakasha!”. Very engaging to watch.