The 'Squeaky Bum Time' thread

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I'd say we are now officially in the 'squeaky bum time' of the season. Others call it 'the business end' of the season.

No matter how you define it, we are here. Its game time.

Some opinions below from those in the know about what its like for those involved in this situation from their won personal experiences.

But what do they know?! However old you are, if you are a RedCafe poster, you will know as a fan that we have been in this position pretty much every year since 1991.

IMO, SAFs experience of this situation, a situation that is now permeated into the most deeply personal parts of the clubs DNA gives us a huge advantage.

SAF knows the stresses, can anticipate how his players will be feeling before every game and knows the right buzz words and motivational techniques to ensure that our squad remains relaxed yet deeply focussed on to task in hand.

Should we win No 20 this year, for me its SAFs greatest ever PL win, given the resources we have had, the two massive early season losses of Vidic and Fletcher and a side clearly is mass transition.

To be able to remain the best in the land, with all our internal issues, and then against a Manchester City who bought the very best money could buy, .... well as I said, IMO, that will be one of his most magnificent achievements at our club.

SAF just gets better as every year passes. I pray that he lives till 90 (at least) and his mental faculties and physical fitness enable him to get out of bed and make it into Carrington every day til the day he sadly dies. God how I will miss him when he eventually will have to leave. :(

Please share your opinions on how it will play out.

Pressure builds for Premier League title run-in

By Alistair Magowan
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17394696

Experience is what counts when it comes to the top-flight title run-in.

That was the verdict of Alan Hansen, Gary Pallister and Lee Dixon, a trio of former players with 15 First Division and Premier League medals between them.

So when last season's champions Manchester United overtook rivals Manchester City last weekend, it looked like a telling blow. Not only was City's defeat by Swansea the fourth in their last eight away games, but it handed United a one-point advantage, extended to four points on Sunday, with a more favourable list of games to come.

Not that any matches will be straightforward, but the benefits appear to be stacked in United's favour save for, perhaps, a stronger City squad and a potential title decider at the Etihad Stadium on 30 April.

Alan Hansen

"If City don't improve their away form, that game is irrelevant," said former Liverpool defender pundit Hansen, who won eight titles. "The defeats at Chelsea and Sunderland weren't that bad, because they didn't play badly, but the ones at Everton and especially Swansea were poor.

"There wasn't a lot of spirit in the team. I know captain Vincent Kompany was missing but there wasn't a lot of leadership and that has to come from the manager [Roberto Mancini]. United boss Sir Alex Ferguson would never have accepted a performance like the one at Swansea."

Mancini, of course, is not without title-winning experience. As the former Inter coach, he guided his team to three Serie A titles in a row before joining City.

Then there is the playing staff. The 22 Premier League medals of Ryan Giggs and Paul Scholes almost match City's combined total of 23 titles. Mancini's squad contains 10 champions, while United have 19 - comprising 76 championships in all.

Nevertheless, even for the likes of Giggs and Scholes there had to be a first time.

Gary Pallister

Alongside Giggs, former defender Gary Pallister was part of the Manchester United team in 1993 that won its first top-flight title for 26 years. The previous season they had been pipped by Leeds in a nail-biting finale when Pallister says they were "hung out to dry" by playing four games in eight days.

"We knew we were good enough to win it even if people said we bottled it," Pallister said. "So we just took that confidence into the following season. We also brought [former Leeds forward] Eric Cantona into the fold which gave us a different dimension."

So do Mancini's side need to go close once before they can win it?
"I wouldn't say so," Pallister added. "There is a build-up of momentum, of players believing that you are good enough. We did that over a period of time from when I came into the club in 1989 with Paul Ince, Danny Wallace, Neil Webb and Mike Phelan all arriving too.

"We started putting the pieces together and the manager had a blueprint which he laid down and worked from. Eventually we got stronger, more confident in each other and became more of a team."

Although Mancini has built his side with huge resources over the past three seasons, the Italian coach has already said that winning the FA Cup last term was an important step in creating a winning mentality among his squad. The returning Carlos Tevez could also give City a timely boost akin to Cantona's arrival.

Lee Dixon

One pointer could be the way Blackburn held off Manchester United's challenge in 1995 to win their first and only Premier League title.

And in 1989, not only did Arsenal win the title in the most dramatic fashion by beating Liverpool in the last game of the season by the two clear goals they needed, they did so having surrendered a 15-point lead.

The Gunners slipped to a three-point deficit going into the final game of the season but that was the helping hand they needed; the pressure was off because they had blown two chances to win the league in their previous two home games against Derby and Wimbledon.

So even though losing to Swansea has given United the upper hand, City may yet acquire the space they need to re-focus by becoming the hunter rather than the hunted.

"We didn't cope particularly well with the pressure," said Dixon, one of the key players in Arsenal's 1989 title-winning side. "We were quite a young side. Nigel Winterburn, myself, Steve Bould, it was all new to us playing at that level so David O'Leary shouldered quite a lot of the responsibility.
"We had to beat the great Liverpool by two clear goals, so it was like 'we're not going to do it, are we?'

"With them thinking they weren't going to lose, and us thinking we had perhaps lost our chance, we went into the game quite relaxed and that helped."

City have not challenged for the title since they were runners-up in 1977, and are aiming to win it for the first time since 1968.

For now, it is advantage United and although most indications point towards Ferguson's team retaining their title, Mancini is not the sort of character to give up without a fight.

"We cannot cry, now is the time to be strong," Mancini said. "We have 10 games and it is in our hands."

Irwinwastheking

Gimpier than Alex and Feeky
We are in a very strong pole position now and are very likely to win the League. Our collective experience is vital and will be a key component.

Jaap

Anything but a City win v Chelsea would be gold - I still think that we need a four-point cushion before the big one on April 30th.

redevil2

I'd say we are now officially in the 'squeaky bum time' of the season. Others call it 'the business end' of the season. No matter how you define it, we are here. Its game time.

Some opinions below from those in the know about what its like for those involved in this situation from their won personal experiences.

But what do they know?! However old you are, if you are a RedCafe poster, you will know as a fan that we have been in this position pretty much every year since 1991.

IMO, SAFs experience of this situation, a situation that is now permeated into the most deeply personal parts of the clubs DNA gives us a huge advantage.
SAF knows the stresses, can anticipate how his players will be feeling before every game and knows the right buzz words and motivational techniques to ensure that our squad remains relaxed yet deeply focussed on to task in hand.

Should we win No 20 this year, for me its SAFs greatest ever PL win, given the resources we have had, the two massive early season losses of Vidic and Fletcher and a side clearly is mass transition.

To be able to remain the best in that land with all those internal issues and against a Manchester City team who bought the very best money could buy, that is .... well as I said, his most magnificent achievement at our club.

SAF just gets better as every year passes. I pray that he lives till 90 (at least) and his mental faculties and physical fitness enable him to get out of bed and make it into Carrington every day til the day he sadly dies. God how I will miss him when he eventually will have to leave. :(

Please share your opinions on how it will play out.
To be honest, its my sincere wish that SAF would outlive most of us, so we do not need to go through the agony of who might be able to fill his shoes. If he becomes too old to travel to the ground, may he just Skype in to remotely control and manage the team! :)

Irwinwastheking

Anything but a City win v Chelsea would be gold - I still think that we need a four-point cushion before the big one on April 30th.
agree. If we are 4 points ahead of them when we meet them, we have it.

I think we may be further ahead actually.
They won't beat Arsenal at the Emirates either. City have 4 games against really tough opposition to play. We have one. Granted we cold drop points against anyone, but I just don't see it with our League form how it is and the squad getting stronger.

Guy Incognito

I always felt as long as United were within touching distance of City in January and February after those nasty fixtures, the title was there to be won. It's no good playing your best stuff at the start of the season and fading away, it's really what you do come the end. So full credit goes to the players and management staff.

If City do win the title, then we may look at the derby being the key for them. While I can see them beating Chelsea on Wednesday, I think they'll struggle away to Stoke and to Arsenal. If City don't win the title, I can't see Mancini staying. Expect them to hire someone else, splash more cash on the team until they win the league.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Its great that our horrendous injury problems of December/January are now a distant memory. We have an almsot complete squad of players to pick bespoke teams to play vs our various next opponents.

Without the distraction of the Europa cup (lets be honest, it was a needless distraction), with the PL as our sole focus, and with SAF at the helm with a fit squad that gives him choices, we could not asl to be in a better position.

Winning this year would be wonderful as it would give a small sliver of a taste of what victory means at Manchester United to our latest young additions like Young, Welbeck, Jones, DdG, Smalling as well as further cemet the emotional bond with the other young players like the Da Silva's, Evans, Hernandez et al.

Its as critical as our winning of the Carling Cup in 2005. The start of a new era. And we have the ace in the pack that is SAF

Irwinwastheking

I always felt as long as United were within touching distance of City in January and February after those nasty fixtures, the title was there to be won. It's no good playing your best stuff at the start of the season and fading away, it's really what you do come the end. So full credit goes to the players and management staff.

If City do win the title, then we may look at the derby being the key for them. While I can see them beating Chelsea on Wednesday, I think they'll struggle away to Stoke and to Arsenal. If City don't win the title, I can't see Mancini staying. Expect them to hire someone else, splash more cash on the team until they win the league.
If they keep doing that then it will become more and more likely that they won't win it. I see their best hope of winning it being sticking with Mancini and buying a few decent centre half's in the summer. I love it if they don't win this year and then Mancini leaves cos he really is a decent manager who will if allowed build a superb and league winning team.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Barring a disaster, I think we'll win the league.

I've been saying that since we beat Spurs the other week.
of all posters i know here, you are always realistic without not being supportive.

so its a very objective view you put forward. i feel confident given that!

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Always felt that if we're within 3-5 points of City going into the new year, that our chances would be favorable to win the league. Our experience and their schedule will be the deciding factors.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Always felt that if we're within 3-5 points of City going into the new year, that our chances would be favorable to win the league. Our experience and their schedule will be the deciding factors.
If we do it, and it remains a big IF, where does it rank for you in SAFs achievements with us?

Do you agree our 'squeaky bum time' experience is key?

Raoul

Admin
Staff
If we do it, and it remains a big IF, where does it rank for you in SAFs achievements with us?

Do you agree our 'squeaky bum time' experience is key?
If we finish with something like 95 points without the availability of Vidic for most of the season, it will go down as one of his three best years. Unfortunately, it will be blemished by our poor showing in Europe.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Dunno about comparing Tevez to Cantona though.
Well I can sort of see Pallister's point. Tevez could provide the added knowhow and firepower in the away games that they have lacked so far and win games like Cantona did in 96...or he could fail miserably due to being out of the game for a while who knows.

Guy Incognito

If they keep doing that then it will become more and more likely that they won't win it. I see their best hope of winning it being sticking with Mancini and buying a few decent centre half's in the summer. I love it if they don't win this year and then Mancini leaves cos he really is a decent manager who will if allowed build a superb and league winning team.
If they get Mourinho for instance, he could be able to construct a side capable of peaking in his second season, i.e. win the league by January or February. What fun is that? Sooner or later with the amount of money they are spending, they will win one of the bigger trophies. But if they do sack Mancini, I wonder what impact that could have for FFP.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
Is that game only a couple of days after the FA cup tie?
City will be fresh which isn't good for us. Torres scored however! :lol:

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Well I can sort of see Pallister's point. Tevez could provide the added knowhow and firepower in the away games that they have lacked so far and win games like Cantona did in 96...or he could fail miserably due to being out of the game for a while who knows.
Tevez is the king of all Judus.

I cant see him having the motivation to do what Cantona did for us in 1992/3.

He will get a transfer to a quality club in the summer come no matter how he performs in the next 8 games for shitty. Yes, when playing he is a consummate and all consumed professional, but we all discovered long ago that he is nothing more than just a 'chicken chaser' (a la Rocky film no 1) who can also score goals.

If I were City, Id be wary and sparing in how I used him. Its not as though they lack quality fire power upfront with Ballotelli, Dzecko, Silva, Nasri et al.

Its Shitty's recent loss of Kompany and the general loss of confidence of there back 4 that has caused them to slump. And that is not so easy to turn around. All teams know they can sneak a goal and then hold out for points. They dont possess the play til the 93rd minute into 'Fergie Time' that our club has inbuilt into every players hard drive.

Thats our key advantage. EG Macheda's stunning last minute winner from a few years back!. That late in a game of stalemate, I jus dont see many shitty players with that level of determination and self belief. Not even Teveth.

Guy Incognito

Tevez is the king of all Judus.

I cant see him having the motivation to do what Cantona did for us in 1992/3.

He will get a transfer to a quality club in the summer come no matter how he performs in the next 8 games for shitty. Yes, when playing he is a consummate and all consumed professional, but we all discovered long ago that he is nothing more than just a 'chicken chaser' (a la Rocky film no 1) who can also score goals.

If I were City, Id be wary and sparing in how I used him. Its not as though they lack quality fire power upfront with Ballotelli, Dzecko, Silva, Nasri et al.

Its Shitty's recent loss of Kompany and the general loss of confidence of there back 4 that has caused them to slump. And that is not so easy to turn around. All teams know they can sneak a goal and then hold out for points. They dont possess the play til the 93rd minute into 'Fergie Time' that our club has inbuilt into every players hard drive.

Thats our key advantage. EG Macheda's stunning last minute winner from a few years back!. That late in a game of stalemate, I jus dont see many shitty players with that level of determination and self belief. Not even Teveth.
I agree that Tevez won't have the impact that most are expecting of him. If anything it could be the complete opposite. He did score some late, late goals in 2007-08, Tottenham and Blackburn away but I highly doubt he'll do the same this season.

Irwinwastheking

If they get Mourinho for instance, he could be able to construct a side capable of peaking in his second season, i.e. win the league by January or February. What fun is that? Sooner or later with the amount of money they are spending, they will win one of the bigger trophies. But if they do sack Mancini, I wonder what impact that could have for FFP.
I can't see Mourinho going there TBH. I know it's just my opinion but I think he'd rather hold out for what will be the biggest job in world football, replacing Fergie. (I don't want mourinho BTW). Mancini is a top manager who given time and money should dominate this league for a season or two so they would be better of keeping him.

I dunno about the FFF relating to managers. I assume that it all comes under the same banner as players transfers and wages though.

brad-dyrak

If anyone wants to explain just what "squeaky bum time means" I'd be all ears. I get the idea, but what's it to do with bums being squeaky? Squeak as in the noise, or squeaky clean? "Squeezy bum time" would make more sense surely. You know, tense. Like at the doctor's.

Anyway, yeah. Very close. Likely just the 1 point with the extra game, but aside from the City game, I like our fixtures. Might even make up the goal diff.

Gonna be a great finish. The bum is all a'squeak at the thought of it.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
It's a Jamaican limbo term. At this point in a limbo match, the players have removed their clothes so they can bend better from the hips and knees, as well as getting closer to the floor without touching it. The arses of those players get closer and closer to the floor to get under the limbo stick, and with professional limboers it is the arse rubbing on the floor causing a squeak, and not knocking the limbo stick that often decides the victor.

Sir Alex picked up the Jamaican phrase whilst watching the 1998 World Cup. Jamaica where drawn into a group with Argentina, Croatia and crucially, Japan. Japan was seen as the week link and their only real hope of qualifying from the group was to get a draw with Croatia (the 1st game), and beat Japan (the 3rd and final group game).

In the crucial first match, Croatia raced to an early 1-0 lead through Stanic, and where expected to rout lowly Jamaica. They had chance after chance and hit the wood work twice, yet somehow Jamaica kept them out. Then, on the stroke of half time, English born Robbie Earle got through and headed one home cueing massive celebrations from the Jamaican fans. If they could hold onto the draw the group would likely go down to goal difference if they could beat Japan and everyone knew that Jamicans where the masters of Squeaky Bum Time. It wasn't to be however as a much improved Croatia came out in the second half, eventually winning the game 3-1.

A dejected Jamaica then played Argentina losing by 5 goals to nill, and as expected Croatia beat Japan, but only by a single goal, sending Jamaica out of the tournament with a game to go. What hurt more, the defeat to Croatia or that Croatia barely beat Japan was a difficult question.

With the final game approaching, and their exit certain, a renewed celebration passed through the fans. Yes they where leaving in the Group Stage, but no one has expected them to get to the tournament at all, and they where going to complete the job the set out to do. Against Japan, with the largest crowd not involving a South American or European team, Jamaica entertained Japan to 2-1 thrashing, as the fans sung chants of famous Limbo Stars, and Jamaica left with their dignity intact, as well as beating the 2002 hosts early.

Sir Alex later met several of the stars, and although he won't say so publicly, the love the players showed for the game encourages him to allow his players to celebrate their own goals however they wished. He then let slip the phrase in an interview about the 2003 title race and the rest, as they say, is history.

*Whilst the average group game at France 98 was around 34,000 fans, which include some 80,000 games involving Brazil and France, Jamaica vs Japan brought nearly 40,000 fans, the largest crowd not involving a major nation.

Edit - The games if anyone wants to see it.

Croatia
Japan

brad-dyrak

It's a Jamaican limbo term. At this point in a limbo match, the players have removed their clothes so the can bend better from the hips and knees, as well as getting closer to the floor without touching it. The arses of those players get closer and closer to the floor to get under the limbo stick, and with professional limboers it is the arse rubbing on the floor causing a squeak, and not knocking the limbo stick that often decides the victor.
:lol: Brilliant, though I've decided not to believe a word of it. Superb write up, and you spin a great tale, though you're surely having a laugh. A coincidence you "pulling my leg" as it were, as it happens to be an actual limbo term from the short lived phenomenon of 'cooperative' limbo whereby one teammate could help the other pass under the bar, sometimes by literally 'pulling their legs'.

Northstand

Its great that our horrendous injury problems of December/January are now a distant memory. We have an almsot complete squad of players to pick bespoke teams to play vs our various next opponents.
It makes me smile that the absence of Vidic, Fletcher, Nani, Anderson, Lindegaard and Owen still permits us to refer to "an almost complete squad of players". In this scenario, Mr Mancini would be bemoaning City's horrendous luck and sending out the message he needs reinforcements pronto.

anver

Shart stop
Squeaky Bum Time: When the arse starts squeaking due to the excitement and anxiety. In other words the excitement and anxiety is such that squeaky farts galore. Squeak. Squeak.

I am sure SAF would be letting off some Scottish squeaks. More like the wind from bagpipes.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Think its in the bag. In fact I can see us being in quite a comfortable position before the City game. I am rarely wrong and have a great record when it comes to predictions.

Congrats all.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
Think its in the bag. In fact I can see us being in quite a comfortable position before the City game. I am rarely wrong and have a great record when it comes to predictions.

Congrats all.
You should make a thread declaring the PL piss easy/a joke while you're at it.

Donut

The game tomorrow is hugely important. If City can win it, they'll be feeling confident again. If they don't I could see them crumble.

Interval

Level
Its not going to be as easy as people are saying it will be. Both teams will drop points against lower sides. Hopefully we don't drop one too many. We certainly don't have it in the bag.

People who think we'll win all games bar City are making a mockery of the term squeaky bum time.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
I'm confident at this stage, it's by no means in the bag, but with the experience in the squad should help us retain it. Will be one of the best ones yet.

Commadus

Both United and City will be dropping points when you least expect. Will the match at Eastlands be the title decider? It will be billed as such but I suspect it won't have that much significance in the title race.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I'd agree that we're heading into that sqeaky bum time now, but what's very positive is that everything seems to be clicking for us in the league at the perfect time. We're in good form; City haven't been in the best of form to say the least. We've got a simple looking run of fixtures; they have some tricky games coming up. It's all falling into place, hopefully.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Vieira walked straight into that response. When you talk about desperation after your team has brought back a player who you said would never play again, what do you expect the opposition manager to come up with? They should focus to winning on the pitch, because they're not going to win off it.