The Sun: Marcus Rashford and Jesse Lingard handed a lifeline as Ten Hag is prepared to offer a chance

Blood Mage

Hopefully he's seen enough after pre-season. The last thing we need is for Lingard to get a new contract and Ten Hag to decide halfway through the season that he doesn't need him.

Chairman Steve

If Custis isn’t putting his name on it, then it‘s a worthless story for sure.

And even if Custis did put his name on it, the story is highly dubious.

Trex

Lingard suit ETH football though, clever movement, good at link up play, good at pressing so it makes sense.

TuzlaUnited

If that Michu guy from Swansea played for us we would still waiting for his return to form.
We move so slow from bad players it is unbelievable.

Gonçalo Motta

Rashford I can see why the manager would give him another chance but what's up with all new managers giving Lingard a place in the squad.

I just don't get what they see in him

Maticmaker

Ralf has prepared the ground for a clear out, no doubt a dossier or report of some kind sits on the managers desk right now with Ralf's suggestions. However a new manager has to give everyone (who want's it) a chance, to show what they can do. and to show they are willing to do what he wants them to do!

This summer those leaving will be those who want to go and those who's contracts are up and the club does not want to resign. Others will return and those players, like Rashford and Lingard who have struggled, but have always claimed to have an affinity with the club will be given a 'window of opportunity' by ETH to show they can be useful.

No doubt there may be one or two players who will try to 'dig-in' as long as possible, even when they know they cannot perform how the new manager wants them to do. This will be the first test for ETH in how he deals with this kind of situation, and you can be sure the 'world and his wife' will be watching!

The conventional wisdom would suggest it will take a few seasons and a few 'transfer windows' just to get things moving, anyone thinking everything can be put right immediately are simply fooling themselves.

Last edited:

stw2022

With Lingard it’s important, I think, to remember just how recently fans stopped calling him a ‘young lad who’ll come good if given time’

I know it’s said - largely - sarcastically. But we’re really not that far removed from some fans genuinely expressing that view. When it comes to young prospects evidently not living up to their potential so many of us stay in rabid denial for the longest time. You could have made the call Lingard wasn’t up to what we needed four or five years ago

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Lingard was absolutely balling for West Ham. Perhaps Ten Hag can get the same performance out of him

stw2022

Lingard was absolutely balling for West Ham. Perhaps Ten Hag can get the same performance out of him
Different level though. There’s nothing wrong with a player finding their level. Not that we’re great guns ourselves mind

DevilRed

Rashford I understand because he's still under contract.

But fecking jesse? That clown needs to feck off finally. We've waited YEARS for him to leave.

Let Elanga, Mejibri, Shoretire, Gnarcho etc. get a chance ffs.

r0663664

Worships Man City
I believe Rashford will stay at least for another year. If his performance improve on the field then he can extend his stay. I still don't know why Rashford lost of confidence is so bad, he can't even do a simple thing right. Lingard should leave, he has no fulfill his potential and it is time for him to leave. Lingard has never established himself so many years at Utd. He should have been sold when there are takers. I am glad there is a total restructure happening. Players like Martial, Lingard, Jones, Mata should have been sold 2-3 years ago. Something is wrong with this club. We kept players who continue to under perform and rewarding them with new contract.

Idxomer

Seeing a lot of posters talking about Lingard's qualities and usefulness these past few days.

My question is How much is he paying you?

Xanther

I don't believe Utd have had the required conditions for players to flourish, since Quieroz left. As a result, I'm willing to see how the 2 of them do under ten Hag. For a time Rashford himself looked incredible, Lingard for West Ham looked like a different guy. Let's wait it out

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Some random journalist (not even sure if there is one) made up a story and people think it's PR, leaked stories, no wonder these journalists are not ashamed to publish these stories :lol:

Jibbs

ETH digging his own grave before even arriving, if it’s true. These cnuts need to be shown the door first thing.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Some random journalist (not even sure if there is one) made up a story and people think it's PR, leaked stories, no wonder these journalists are not ashamed to publish these stories :lol:
Richard Moriarty sounds like the mild-mannered brother of the Sherlock Holmes villain.

stevoc

Rashford - give him a season to see if Ten Hag can do anything with him.

Jesse - get fecked.

Thankfully this is nonsense.

stevoc

“United is his club and he’s never wanted to leave for a fee as he's been planning for a while to run his contract down.”

100% simply not true.
They cut that quote off

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Lingard will want game time assurances and Ten hag will say he will be 3rd choice #10 pretty much so he'll leave.

Rashford apparently has trained well with Rangnick too. I think it's something else impacting him more than just who the manager is. Needs to find his motivation and inspiration back though as he hasn't looked happy on a football pitch in a long time.

klayton88

I don't want to live in a world where we have to 'convince' Jesse Lingard to stay,

Anustart89

Imagine being Jesse Lingard. Turning out shit year after year, leaking stuff to the media, sitting on your arse for a ridiculously high salary relative to your footballing ability and then leaking that you need to be persuaded by the new manager to stay.

I wonder how he manages to walk around every day with a head the size of a blimp.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Imagine being Jesse Lingard. Turning out shit year after year, leaking stuff to the media, sitting on your arse for a ridiculously high salary relative to your footballing ability and then leaking that you need to be persuaded by the new manager to stay.

I wonder how he manages to walk around every day with a head the size of a blimp.
….& you know this how?

Football fans would be fantastic script writers with the shite they come up with