The Sunk Cost Fallacy

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
People demonstrate "a greater tendency to continue an endeavor once an investment in money, effort, or time has been made." This is the sunk cost fallacy, and such behavior may be described as "throwing good money after bad",[20][15] while refusing to succumb to what may be described as "cutting one's losses".

First I would like to admit that I have been very little critical of the management at Man Utd during the past few years. For a long period I found it hard to believe that they could be as useless as the media made them look. I always felt they made a few poor decisions (hiring Mourinho and OGS for instance), but tried to see it from their point of view. My rational was something like this:

A) Glazer wants return on investment, and consequently would not accept money being pissed away,
B) Hence, they would hire someone competent. Based on my knowledge and experience I would expect someone from Goldman Sachs (Woodward, Judge and Arnold, I think) to be both competent and intelligent.
C) Considering the management spend (hopefully) 50 hours a week on these questions, with more information than supports and pundits, I would expect them not to make silly mistakes.

In hindsight, looking at the annual reports and compating the money with spent with our results, it appears I have been very naive.

The sunk cost fallacy is a rather easy concept that most people understand and I would never question if the management of a big company keeps repeating a "sunk cost fallacy". But in the case of Man Utd, knowing what we do, it is really hard not to.

Refusing to let Romero go to Everton is quite a good example. According to reports Everton made an offer off £2 mill in loan fee in addition to covering his salary. We rejected the offer and as a result, Romero stayed for a year costing us £100 000 a week. In total, Man Utd lost £7 mill on that decision.

This appears to be the case again with Martial where we, according to reports, are refusing to budge, insisting that Sevilla cover his salary and pay a loan fee. And it is probably the case with many more players on our books. Why do we do it?

A) In some cases we hope that the players desire to play football will make them give up part of their salary,
B) Want to avoid reputation of being a pushover in negotiations,

I think we have seen examples of both in the past. If I am not mistaken, both Sanchez and Rooney agreed to take a wage cut to leave with the prospect of playing more football. The club might even also argue that their «never split the difference»-approach made Leeds pay up for Daniel James in the end. However, I think they would find it difficult to justify their approach overall.

It is almost as if you wonder if our management is afraid to make previous errors (paying our players to much) transparent to the owner. Covering the salary of a player we have lent out, or letting players go for free due to their high salary, would expose previous errors.

A huge consequence of failing to let players go is a squad with players sulking. It makes us less attractive to our young players, the negative publicity hurt the brand, but first and foremost it makes it very difficult to build a successful team. How can anyone expect us to build a winning mentality when we have several players in the squad who have their minds elsewhere? Probably unhappy about their current situation. Are they likely to raise the bard in training? Ensure that their is a competitive environment in the squad? Or are they likely to be a bit careless? Lacking focus? And that their mindset spread to other players in the squad?

In short, becoming more effective with transfers should be priority number one for the new CEO. Rule number one, dont makes silly mistakes when handing out contracts. Rule number two, if you do, take the cost and gid rid fast.

led_scholes

I would argue that the Romero handling cost us much more indirectly. The guy was OK being the 2nd gk for league and 1st gk for cups. When Ole dropped him for Sevilla (showing how awful Ole's man management was), Romero probably became upset.We knew that for next year Henderson would be back and he would need to play. We decided to keep Henderson to evaluate him. Thus, Romero became our 3rd gk.

In the summer of 2020 the club had a choice to make: keep both De Gea and Henderson to compete for a year and send Romero on loan (or sell him), Or sell either DE Gea or Henderson. In the first scenario, Romero would have some playing time, while a club could cover his wages, and we could have a whole year for our staff to decide which one we prefer to keep: DDG or Henderson. In the second, we just cash on Henderson while his value is high, and keep Romero as our 2nd gk.

But no. Our incompetent people decide to keep both DDG and Henderson,while REFUSING to sell Romero who we COULD NOT EVEN REGISTER. Fast forward 12 months, our staff haven't still decided who they prefer (DDG or Hendo- like seriously how useless they are if after a whole year, they still don't know), we lost money on Romero, and now we can't loan Henderson because we have no backup and his value is going down.

That's 7 million lost on Romero, and 10-15 lost on Henderson. The guys are unique in failure.

Crashoutcassius

The reverse applies in a more cases - people wanting to sell Maguire or AWB cos of their price tag. If we got Maguire for ten million he would be lauded. These people don't understand that the money is only relevant in some factor of how much you might recoup. Or they understand it but don't want to put that thinking onto practice, prefer to get upset about what is nearly fictional money at this stage

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
The Glazers and Ed are feckwits, agreed. Only point I disagree with is that Goldman Sachs makes competence likely/guaranteed. The only thing it renders likely is that they're inadequate people on a personal level IMO. A Goldman recruiter even told me once they deliberately target kids who are bullied / loners at school as they're easier to trap into needing the big Goldman salary to show off how successful they are to their peers.

DaveinToronto

And the De Gea/Henderson saga will continue to deteriorate, due to previous disastrous decision making by OGS/The board.