The Telegraph: The Secrets of Uniteds Summer Rebuild

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
This isn't necessarily directed at you so bear with me but this is where people start making deductions that arent even in the tweet. Tweet says his power widened and people jump on it as having no or minimal say before january. Prior to january he had the power to decide on Rangnick, ETH and by his own words maybe even considerable influence to decide on Ole's departure. That is already a monumental power scale. It's only the 3 biggest influences of our season. His sphere of influence had already long been widening. People need to stop trying to reduce Murtough's part to a binary sum of zero to paint a picture he had no part of the goings on before his power became absolute.

Apparently Woodward just hired a guy he didn't get along with to be his DoF so he could have someone to bully. I don't doubt Wooward had the final say but It's deducing power conflicts from nothing when his own words point to considerable involvement in football decisions this season before january.

He was a part of our season, so while he doesn't even have to take blame for all of it he definitely doesn't need to be spared from all of it. Only Arnold has a claim to such a clean slate because he had nothing to do with the football side in any assigned capacity. To be honest I'm actually half shocked people haven't already tried to push his tenure back to may 2022 to run away from accountability from that terrible Bruno contract renewal.
Isn't it linked to the things he mentions wanting to delegate to the incoming members of staff, like the women's team and junior teams. Hence the idea that bringing in a football director and women's team manager will free up 2/3s of his week.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Couldn't this restructuring have happened when he first got into "power"? Doing it right before a very important period like the transfer window (the whole world knows this squad is naff) seems a little stupid to me.

He could have fired the scouts as soon as he took charge, made all the changes behind the scenes that were now currently doing so we could have given the new people time to adjust to their roles.

After a decade of being fed shit by United/Woodward, it's hard to swallow anything they try to feed now, as far as I'm concerned they need to prove their words with results before I get all giddy, again, these past ten years have shortened the rope they have now with many.

Abraxas

If the Express story is true (it's the Express so I hope it's their usual utter drivel), then we've got problems. You can't buy two half-decent players for £120m and those three players named won't exactly make anyone rich

DAILY EXPRESS

Erik ten Hag will have £120m to spend on Manchester United's squad this summer but could increase that by offloading the likes of Anthony Martial, Eric Bailly and Aaron Wan-Bissaka.
What were you expecting really? It's about what could be reasonably expected with reduced revenues next season.

phelans shorts

Couldn't this restructuring have happened when he first got into "power"? Doing it right before a very important period like the transfer window (the whole world knows this squad is naff) seems a little stupid to me.

He could have fired the scouts as soon as he took charge, made all the changes behind the scenes that were now currently doing so we could have given the new people time to adjust to their roles.

After a decade of being fed shit by United/Woodward, it's hard to swallow anything they try to feed now, as far as I'm concerned they need to prove their words with results before I get all giddy, again, these past ten years have shortened the rope they have now with many.
Arnold came into power in March. Them leaving in April/early May is a very rapid turn around. You don’t walk in day one and sack X amount of people without actual concrete plans.

Besides, even if he did do so his first day in charge, the exact same complaint would still be there as they’d need to set up a whole new scouting department and 4 months isn’t enough. Nobody is saying this new leadership is sure fire success, but at this point all we can do is be optimistic about the changes we actually see taking place because otherwise what’s the fecking point.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Arnold came into power in March. Them leaving in April/early May is a very rapid turn around. You don’t walk in day one and sack X amount of people without actual concrete plans.

Besides, even if he did do so his first day in charge, the exact same complaint would still be there as they’d need to set up a whole new scouting department and 4 months isn’t enough. Nobody is saying this new leadership is sure fire success, but at this point all we can do is be optimistic about the changes we actually see taking place because otherwise what’s the fecking point.
He was appointed March 2021, yes Woodward left in February, but that doesn't mean Murtough wasn't doing anything for a year, he was also credited with getting in Ralf in November 2021.

You can't just randomly say he only officially started at a certain time so it fits your perspective.

phelans shorts

He was appointed March 2021, yes Woodward left in February, but that doesn't mean Murtough wasn't doing anything for a year, he was also credited with getting in Ralf in November 2021.

You can't just randomly say he only officially started at a certain time so it fits your perspective.
I literally named Arnold, the boss. Not one single mention of Murtough in my post.

Revaulx

Thats just fkn hilarious spin. We want to hire best in class and we have got a good consultancy to do interviews. Well no sht. Isnt that what all top clubs do? He doesnt want to look back and regret things he hasnt done. Again no sht. He wants a deputy to help him out.

I mean its not exactly cutting edge here is it? What's next - we want really good footballs for training with. We will get the best and we have hired an expert to go and source good footballs. Im not against all of these changes but to try and pretend we are fancy all of a sudden is hilarious
Are we?

Remaining sceptical is something I’m fully on board with, but this is just inventing stuff. All the club has done is acknowledge (finally!) that we’ve fallen miles behind and need to really push the boat out to get back ahead.

Revaulx

Indeed. The “change” that’s actually the key one is his taking over; far more than Murtough or even ETH. And it’s clear that he actually wants to have a go at managing the organisation rather than putting his arms round everything while not having a clue. Locating himself at OT rather than in a Mayfair office has been the biggest cultural reset yet.

His next job is to get the Glazers fully on board. Persuading them that everything Darling Ed did needs an axe taking to it can’t be easy, but at least so far it appears that he has their backing.

UpWithRivers

Are we?

Remaining sceptical is something I’m fully on board with, but this is just inventing stuff. All the club has done is acknowledge (finally!) that we’ve fallen miles behind and need to really push the boat out to get back ahead.
All the club has done is basic standard processes. If you get a new CEO he is going to change things. There is nothing cutting edge he is doing. Its like writing a big article about how Ten Haag is revolutionizing Man Utd by appointing his own staff and changing tactics and training. All good dont get me wrong but its nothing to start bragging about. Im not negative or positive about it because so far its just standard procedural stuff. The only thing different was Rangnick as a consultant and that just means DOF that all the other clubs have. If they dont want Rangnick ok but then hire an actual DOF and then Ill start seeing real change

Revaulx

All the club has done is basic standard processes. If you get a new CEO he is going to change things. There is nothing cutting edge he is doing. Its like writing a big article about how Ten Haag is revolutionizing Man Utd by appointing his own staff and changing tactics and training. All good dont get me wrong but its nothing to start bragging about. Im not negative or positive about it because so far its just standard procedural stuff. The only thing different was Rangnick as a consultant and that just means DOF that all the other clubs have. If they dont want Rangnick ok but then hire an actual DOF and then Ill start seeing real change
Arnold has only been in post for two months. If we are still in the same place at the end of July I’ll start to get worried. Don’t forget he needs to have the Glazers on board; they have been used to believing that everything their boy Woodward did over the last few years was beyond reproach. Pointing out to them that this might not have actually been the case is not a job I’d want to take on!

arthurka

Korn Ferry? Is it just me or is this another disaster waiting to happen? What do they know about football?
To be fair most traits that top leaders have aren't necessarily connected to one field. So they will be able to connect to a new field and make the environment top notch.
I will give Arnold and Murtough the benefit of a doubt, this ship has been stranded by the last regime so it's tough to get it back afloat as the rot has set in as there club was apparently rudderless for years on end. The new appointed DOF looks very promising. Let's see where this goes.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
What were you expecting really? It's about what could be reasonably expected with reduced revenues next season.
Hmmm, let me see. what was I expecting?

Maybe the fecking biggest club in the world to realise that if we slip any further behind (and just look at what City are doing: champions, but have bought two and are planning at least two more signings; and Chelsea's new owners promising to go big in the transfer market), then it will take even longer (if ever) to get back to where we should be.

Maybe given all the geniuses who are supposedly in charge to have realised months ago (if not years) that we were falling behind and to put processes in place to counteract this.

Oh, and we've been out the CL before but still brought in top players.

What I do not expect (well, I do but don't accept) is more mouth and trousers and very little action

Abraxas

Maybe the fecking biggest club in the world to realise that if we slip any further behind (and just look at what City are doing: champions, but have bought two and are planning at least two more signings; and Chelsea's new owners promising to go big in the transfer market), then it will take even longer (if ever) to get back to where we should be.

Maybe given all the geniuses who are supposedly in charge to have realised months ago (if not years) that we were falling behind and to put processes in place to counteract this.

What I do not expect (well, I do but don't accept) is more mouth and trousers and very little action
Yes, and 120 million is not an insignificant outlay. We know the situation with the ownership, the finances and the lack of CL football so perhaps your expectations were in cuckoo land to begin with. We are not rebuilding in one summer and we are never going to be spending a FM like "warchest", it will rely on a number of windows. That is the simple reality of our situation that you must have misjudged.

It's nothing to do with a lack of action, the action has barely got going. You are being overly presumptuous and impatient instead of letting things play out before judgment.

Jurgen Plopp

Didn't we have all this spin 6 months ago with Rangnick? Haven't we had this spin for 10 years? Its hard to apportion blame or credit when its confusing how United is run and who has what power or who makes which decisions. However, a simple observation is that Darren Fletcher is still part of this team around Ten Hag and his input has been much more visible. He joined Ollie as his assistant who was then sacked months later, and he was hands on with the players and Rangnick over the last 6mths. He also has very little experience or coaching/DOF achievements to brag of. Obviously, Ollie and Rangnick are at fault, but Fletchers work so far doesn't scream "best in class" at me, simply the reverse.
(Note: he also must have a great insight as to which players were out of order being so close to training and the first team. So that knowledge hasn't been lost with the departure of Rangnick).

So, because the one i know most about has only been involved in failure at United it doesnt fill me with confidence of the quality of the others appointed by a board that has continuously failed.

These are the same people that appointed Rangnick, with all the possitive spin in the fiirst place. At the same time they allowed serial winner Conte to go to Spurs and predictably he got them Champions league football. Many people warned United about this at the time. To get top 4 we now have to beat one of Pep, Klopp,Tuchel or Conte and these same people and the board knowingly allowed this to happen, just 6 months ago.

Spurs are being dragged into being a competent club by Conte, and hopefully United will allow Ten Hag to do this for us, but like so many others, my initial joy at his appointment is being quickly replaced with the usual concerns.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Yes, and 120 million is not an insignificant outlay. We know the situation with the ownership, the finances and the lack of CL football so perhaps your expectations were in cuckoo land to begin with. We are not rebuilding in one summer and we are never going to be spending a FM like "warchest", it will rely on a number of windows. That is the simple reality of our situation that you must have misjudged.

It's nothing to do with a lack of action, the action has barely got going. You are being overly presumptuous and impatient instead of letting things play out before judgment.
I think I've seen what 5-6 years of waiting brought, thank you...

Abraxas

I think I've seen what 5-6 years of waiting brought, thank you...
What's your alternative? Moaning constantly? If nothing had changed it would be understandable as it is I'm surprised you're not depressing yourself. Changes are being made.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
What's your alternative? Moaning constantly? If nothing had changed it would be understandable as it is I'm surprised you're not depressing yourself. Changes are being made.
yes, I keep hearing about the changes. I also heard that Ole knew the DNA of the club and his plan was working... as I said, I am hoping that this is just not another lot of suits talking. But hey, you are allowed to believe the PR spin, that's your right

sparx99

yes, I keep hearing about the changes. I also heard that Ole knew the DNA of the club and his plan was working... as I said, I am hoping that this is just not another lot of suits talking. But hey, you are allowed to believe the PR spin, that's your right
Surely we reset the clock and try to be optimistic? New structure, new CEO, new manager, big squad changes just by the players leaving, new coaching staff as well.

By all means if we sign nobody and pre-season is a mess and we lose our first game in August then moan all you like. The new regime hasn’t even begun.

Abraxas

I don't believe or disbelieve it. I let the evidence come in because what is the actual alternative? To descend into perpetual cynicism and negativity, it seems. That doesn't seem a particularly enjoyable state.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
You have to be kidding by this constant drivel of PR Spin right? How the feck is it a spin when there are actual, literal appointments taking place at United and senior staff has been replaced.

I mean it might turn out to be a failure, but there's actual restructuring taking place which hasn't been seen at United for a long time.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
You have to be kidding by this constant drivel of PR Spin right? How the feck is it a spin when there are actual, literal appointments taking place at United and senior staff has been replaced.

I mean it might turn out to be a failure, but there's actual restructuring taking place which hasn't been seen at United for a long time.
the spin I'm talking about is all he new suits. As I said, I reserve my conclusion until they actual do something in the transfer market... so far we have bought no one compared with City and other clubs including Villa

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I don't believe or disbelieve it. I let the evidence come in because what is the actual alternative? To descend into perpetual cynicism and negativity, it seems. That doesn't seem a particularly enjoyable state.
thanks, Dr Freud

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Surely we reset the clock and try to be optimistic? New structure, new CEO, new manager, big squad changes just by the players leaving, new coaching staff as well.

By all means if we sign nobody and pre-season is a mess and we lose our first game in August then moan all you like. The new regime hasn’t even begun.
I think you'll find I questioned rather than moaned. Let's see some action rather than just words and arrivals of new "suits"

Rocknrolla69er

Alot of negative Nancy's about. Especially towards Ragnick. I'd say Ragnick has done his job whereas he was mainly brought in to identify the toxic players with bad personality and attitude problems.

We've seen a few shown the door already especially Pogba and Lingaard, with Martial and AWB also identified as surplus to requirements.

That was the start of the culture change at the club, so I don't think it's all doom and gloom regarding Ragnicks period with us.

I like the sounds and information coming out, and most of it is big change in the areas we've been ridiculously incompetent in.

Already we've scrapped plans to sign 4 players based on research done Into their lifestyles/personality/attitudes, just imagine if we d of done this 9 years ago eh. Yet because the transfer window has been open 2 days and were being very diligent in the type of player signed people are having meltdowns...........

Rocknrolla69er

Well, that can't be right.
Ralf R called out some poor decisions and also pointed out specific issues with the dressing room (problem players like Lingard and Martial)....and he lost his job as a consultant.
IMO, nothing has changed. The aim is top 4 and to attain this, we shall spend big, buy big names to sell shirts, pay huge wages and if things go wrong on the pitch, the manager will be fired.
The player attitudes this past season were the worst we have seen in decades and before any player got shipped out, the manager got fired from his new consultant position. Player power remains and I fully expect to see a new manager in approximately 3 years.
I can't believe how negative I have become, but that's how I see things now.
Maybe look at it like, someone floated the idea of Ragnick as a consultant, but somebody also had the idea later it wasn't an effective idea so mind's were changed, ties in with the challenging decisions concept.

I don't get why it's being used as a stick to beat the club. With new personnel added maybe they decided he wasn't then needed.

Or they could of just carried on paying him needlessly. Situations change and evolve.

Grande

Thread summary so far:

Arnoldmurtaugh (answering press questions for news): Todays news is that we’ve brought FA’s Head of Elite Performance Andy O’Boyle in to assist Murtaugh, Who will now be able to increase his activity in getting in new players identified by recruitment and Ten Hag after he came here last week for the first time.

Mitchmouse: I’m disappointed! I expected you to realise we’ve fallen behind!

Arnoldmurtaugh: We indeed have fallen behind and need to change!

Mitchmouse: That’s just talk! I expected you to put processes in place!

Arnoldmurtaugh: Yes, let’s get a new manager and coaching team, and get rid of half the former staff and restructure recruitment so the new manager and different recruitment team can identify new players to replace the exodus we’re getting rid of! Good idea!

Mitchmouse: That’s just PR spin! I expected our owners promising to go big in the market! I want us to be linked to new players in The Sun!

Arnoldmurt: Umm … like Ed did when he said we can buy anyone and increased Utd tax by 200%? We’re not sure … and we’re being linked with De Jong, Darwin, Timber in the papers, but we can’t see how paper talk is going to bring players in? …

Mitchmouse: I expected three new players worth £200m signed and presented by the 1st of June! I am not critical, I am just asking questions!

Arnmurt: Oh, dear, you really have no idea what you want, do you, or how these things work? It must make for a depressing outlook.

Mitch: Thank you, Dr Freud!

(Is this how it’s done?)

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Thread summary so far:

Arnoldmurtaugh (answering press questions for news): Todays news is that we’ve brought FA’s Head of Elite Performance Andy O’Boyle in to assist Murtaugh, Who will now be able to increase his activity in getting in new players identified by recruitment and Ten Hag after he came here last week for the first time.

Mitchmouse: I’m disappointed! I expected you to realise we’ve fallen behind!

Arnoldmurtaugh: We indeed have fallen behind and need to change!

Mitchmouse: That’s just talk! I expected you to put processes in place!

Arnoldmurtaugh: Yes, let’s get a new manager and coaching team, and get rid of half the former staff and restructure recruitment so the new manager and different recruitment team can identify new players to replace the exodus we’re getting rid of! Good idea!

Mitchmouse: That’s just PR spin! I expected our owners promising to go big in the market! I want us to be linked to new players in The Sun!

Arnoldmurt: Umm … like Ed did when he said we can buy anyone and increased Utd tax by 200%? We’re not sure … and we’re being linked with De Jong, Darwin, Timber in the papers, but we can’t see how paper talk is going to bring players in? …

Mitchmouse: I expected three new players worth £200m signed and presented by the 1st of June! I am not critical, I am just asking questions!

Arnmurt: Oh, dear, you really have no idea what you want, do you, or how these things work? It must make for a depressing outlook.

Mitch: Thank you, Dr Freud!

(Is this how it’s done?)
Come back to me when we've bought our targets. And maybe stick to the facts unless of course you're aiming to become a Tory MP. half of the b/s up there is made up.

Oh... and maybe spell John Murtough's name right if you want to appear even a little bit clever

Grande

Come back to me when we've bought our targets. And maybe stick to the facts unless of course you're aiming to become a Tory MP. half of the b/s up there is made up.

Oh... and maybe spell John Murtough's name right if you want to appear even a little bit clever
This is a work of fiction. Any resemblance to people in the world of faction is mostly coincidental or at least somewhat.

Cast:
Arnoldmurtaugh appears as Richard Arnold/John Murtough
Michmouse appears as mitchmouse
Grande appears as A Little Less Than A Little Bit Clever.

Rottentomatoes: 1.7 / 10

‘Oh, well. I had chuckle’ - Grande, internett consumer