Television 3 Body Problem

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
The Netflix-backed adaptation of Liu Cixin's acclaimed sci-fi novel trilogy under the umbrella title The 3 Body Problem already has quite the pedigree. Game Of Thrones veterans David Benioff and DB Weiss are producing and overseeing the show alongside Rian Johnson. Now it's building a stacked cast, with Benedict Wong, Shang-Chi's Tsai Chin, John Bradley and Liam Cunningham among them.

And, as the way of these giant casting announcements, that's just a small sampling – the show will also include Jovan Adepo, Eiza Gonzalez, Jess Hong, Marlo Kelly, Alex Sharp, Sea Shimooka, Zine Tseng and Saamer Usmani.

Alexander Woo developed the series alongside the GOT duo, and he'll be the head writer. The show is described as "inspired" by the books, which means there will be some leeway in the story. But the tomes' overarching tale follows what happens when humanity discovers that we are not alone in the universe. The first book chronicles Ye Wenjie, who, following her father’s death at the hands of the Red Guards during the Cultural Revolution, attempts to help aliens invade Earth, while different factions on Earth plan different ways of welcoming the extra-terrestrials.
https://www.empireonline.com/tv/new...e-cast-for-netflix-3-body-problem-adaptation/

Hyped.

Wing Attack Plan R

I'm incredibly sceptical but I'll definitely be tuning in.

It's a trilogy and you should, it's phenomenal.
Did you read all three? I read the first novel in the trilogy, then made it about 140 pages into book two before I gave up.

Just saw the creators behind the series, and I'm not hopeful. The first two (Benioff, Weiss) will never live down what they did to GoT, and Rian Johnson went from wunderkind to wankmeister. I was a big fan up to and including Looper, but since he got involved with the Star Wars universe I can't stand his work.

Tarrou

I read the 3 body problem years ago but had no idea it was part of a trilogy

its gonna take me like 6 months to read another two :lol:

MileStolar

I'm currently reading book #2 the dark forest, so far the books alternate between incredible and a bit meh, but it's really worth reading, many times I stop reading and start thinking about a certain idea or a concept, it can be philosophical at times and that's why I like it.

Where it struggles is that sometimes stories are bit bleak and shallow, and some things just happen too conveniently.

If you take it for what it is, great ideas, concepts and food for thought it's a great read.

Amarsdd

Does it being a translation hamper its readability in any way? I've seen a couple of videos about it and quite like the concept but just haven't gotten around to reading it due to it possibly not being a smooth read.

atkar83

I'll never watch anything D&D do after what they did to GoT. A show like that comes once in a lifetime, and they decided a show 60 episodes in with a story about 50% done can be neatly wrapped up and finished in 13 more episodes because they were bored with it I guess.

And I hated 'The Last Jedi' too, so this is a hard no from me dawg

Wing Attack Plan R

Does it being a translation hamper its readability in any way? I've seen a couple of videos about it and quite like the concept but just haven't gotten around to reading it due to it possibly not being a smooth read.
In the set given to me, books 1 and 3 were translated by one person, and book 2 by another. Book 2’s style was stilted and drier, reminded me of reading sci-fi from the 60s. Book 1 had a much better readability.

A commenter noted that the plot was thin and things were too convenient, and I’d have to agree. The American characters in book 2 were ridiculous, which made me wonder if it was a translation problem or a creative error. I can’t remember the specifics but it read very fake, like Cixin Liu had never met any Americans. It was as if the guy was named Jack Steel and had rippling abs and a twinkle in his eye. Couldn’t stand it.

Fridge chutney

I loved the trilogy. It made me think so much.

I will not be watching the series though. Pretty sure it was that pair who ruined Game of Thrones.

Jev

What's with the Rian Johnson bashing? He's made consistently great movies and The Last Jedi wasn't even bad. He made some bold choices, Abrams just didn't have the guts to see them through.

I've never gotten around to reading The Three Body Problem but I've heard and read a lot about it and am intrigued enough to probably give this one a shot.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Hated the first book, and reckon it'll be a perfect fit within the current landscape of plot clunking, Powerpoint tv. It'll feed the audience because all they want now is to hungrily feast on heavy exposition and woah! moments because they have no feelings or soul. You'll love it.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
I'll never watch anything D&D do after what they did to GoT. A show like that comes once in a lifetime, and they decided a show 60 episodes in with a story about 50% done can be neatly wrapped up and finished in 13 more episodes because they were bored with it I guess.

And I hated 'The Last Jedi' too, so this is a hard no from me dawg
This is basically my view on it. These clowns should never have been able to work in TV again after the way they ended GoT.

Revan

Assumptionman
I read the 3 body problem years ago but had no idea it was part of a trilogy

its gonna take me like 6 months to read another two :lol:
Just don't. The second book goes into some weird imaginary romance tangent, and it is so bad (or the translation was so bad), that I had to give up at around half of it.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Did you read all three? I read the first novel in the trilogy, then made it about 140 pages into book two before I gave up.
Yeah. I remembering enjoying the overarching story of the 2nd book more than the others, but the change in translator was noticeable (Ken Liu translated 1 and 3, Joel Martinsen #2).

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Is the three body problem a reference to the phsyics of not being able to solve the trajectory of three masses in space?

Unam333

Hated the first book, and reckon it'll be a perfect fit within the current landscape of plot clunking, Powerpoint tv. It'll feed the audience because all they want now is to hungrily feast on heavy exposition and woah! moments because they have no feelings or soul. You'll love it.
I'll give the first book a try. The plot sounds interesting, yet bizarre at the same time.
If it's as weird as the Wandering Earth movie (same author) then it's not my cup of tea.

Wing Attack Plan R

Just don't. The second book goes into some weird imaginary romance tangent, and it is so bad (or the translation was so bad), that I had to give up at around half of it.
Agree. I'm glad they're making/have made a series about this, because part of me was still curious as to how it all worked out, but not curious enough to wade through another 1,500 pages of this. If I can get the answer in a couple hours of TV, perfect.