The Top 10 Worst Transfers This Season [Premier League]

H10

Huseyin 10
So I was looking in to some of the worst transfers this season and thought I'd make a short video of my top 10:

Who would be in your top 10 worst transfers? Who would you replace from my list?

Let me know your thoughts!

Welbeckham

Players older than 18, too early to judge likes of Fabio Silva and Amad Diallo. Based on performances this season compared with transfer fees and expectations:

10. Adam Lallana
Came in with high expectations. Has done absolutely nothing.

9. Anthony Knockaert
15m£ for a 29-year-old and then he left on loan.

8. Hakim Ziyech
Has struggled to get going. Yet to answer the hype.

7. Nathan Ake
Very expensive benchwarmer so far.

6. Willian
Free for sure, but with his big wages, very underwhelming signing.

5. Thiago
3 wins and 6 losses out of 12 matches.

4. Timo Werner
Hugely disappointing signing so far.

3. Donny Van de Beek
Seems like a total waste of money so far.

2. Rhian Brewster
Another incredible deal from Liverpool to get big money for a decent Championship striker.

1. Kai Havertz
Bad first season. Might come good in the future.

Few other mentions:
Michy Batshuayi
Karlan Grant
Diego Llorente

And these haven’t really lived up to expectations or the price tag either:
Thomas Partey
Matty Doherty
Alex Telles
Aaron Ramsdale

EDIT: Totally forgot about Gareth Bale.

Last edited:

SAFMUTD

Top 10 is a long long list but here's my top 5.

5-. Nathan Ake- 45M for a defender that can't get a sniff into the team, he's 4th at City's CB's pecking order at best.

4-. Brewster - still baffles me how Liverpool was able to get 26M for him.

3-. Bale - eventhough is only a loan his 600K a week wages with Spurs paying half on them is a bad bad business for the poor performances.

2-. Van de Beek - 40M for a player that isn't even first choice sub.

1-. Havertz - doesn't look anything close to value for the 80M Chelsea paid for him, might still come good though.

Last edited:

H10

Huseyin 10
Top 10 is a long long list but here's may top 5.

5-. Nathan Alexander- 45M for a defender that can't get a sniff into the team, he's 4th at City's CB's pecking order at best.

3-. Bale - eventhough is only a loan his 600K a week wages with Spurs paying half on them is a bad bad business for the poor performances.

1-. Havertz - doesn't look anything close to value for the 80M Chelsea paid for him, might still come good though.
Ake was on my original list, but felt as he was injured for a while, I'd give him the benefit of the doubt, but yes very much so 4th choice now!

I put Bale as well...and ironically he scored twice and got an assist today :)

H10

Huseyin 10
Players older than 18, too early to judge likes of Fabio Silva and Amad Diallo. Based on performances this season compared with transfer fees and expectations:

10. Adam Lallana
Came in with high expectations. Has done absolutely nothing.

9. Anthony Knockaert
15m£ for a 29-year-old and then he left on loan.

8. Hakim Ziyech
Has struggled to get going. Yet to answer the hype.

7. Nathan Ake
Very expensive benchwarmer so far.

6. Willian
Free for sure, but with his big wages, very underwhelming signing.

5. Thiago
3 wins and 6 losses out of 12 matches.

4. Timo Werner
Hugely disappointing signing so far.

3. Donny Van de Beek
Seems like a total waste of money so far.

2. Rhian Brewster
Another incredible deal from Liverpool to get big money for a decent Championship striker.

1. Kai Havertz
Bad first season. Might come good in the future.

Few other mentions:
Michy Batshuayi
Karlan Grant
Diego Llorente

And these haven’t really lived up to expectations or the price tag either:
Thomas Partey
Matty Doherty
Alex Telles
Aaron Ramsdale

EDIT: Totally forgot about Gareth Bale.
Didn't realise Knockaert cost 15m...and was then loaned out. That's a very bad deal for sure!

Pep's Suit

Ake's always injured for whatever reason but I'd love to know how he does alongside Dias or in a back 3.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
1. Havertz (I'm actually still pretty sure that he'll come out good)
2. Ake (I'm genuinely not even sure if he had played this season at all)
3. Donny (weren't we supposed to have a plan for him?)
4. Thiago (looks really bad so far, which I have not expected, hopefully he won't get his shit together)
5. Bale (if today was a false dawn, of course)
6. Werner (again, I'm pretty sure that he'll come out good if he'll be played centrally; Tuchels seems like a better fit for him)
7. Brewster (haven't expected much, but zero goals!)
8. Willian (meh)

I'm not really sure about the rest. Knockaert seems like a good shout.

H10

Huseyin 10
Surprised not to see Ramsdale mentioned, considering he's only kept 1 clean sheet and cost 18m.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Surprised not to see Ramsdale mentioned, considering he's only kept 1 clean sheet and cost 18m.
Yeah, given how Sheff Utd were last season, both him and Brewster deserve to be pretty near the top of any list.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Spending 26m on a striker who doesn't score is up there. Especially when you're bottom of the table

dbs235

Spending 26m on a striker who doesn't score is up there. Especially when you're bottom of the table
Weird because he was a top youth prosepct and scored plenty last season at Swansea.

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
Werner is surely not going to do anything of substance this time around, maybe he'll go off and come back to star. Over 1000 minutes without a league goal is hard to overcome.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
Brewster takes it for me. Most of the big clubs can absorb the cost of a bad buy or two, but for Sheffield United to splurge that much and probably end up getting relegated it really is terrible business.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
1. Ramsdale
2. Brewster

Two massive transfers for the club and they couldn’t have gotten them much worse. Brewster could well come good in the championship but horrendous business that has relegated the club..

3. Havertz

Massive money for very little output and no initial impact.

4. Thiago

He was meant to be the evolution in their play and take them to the next level and it has backfired pretty spectacularly.

5. Donny VdB

Brought in with no plan and no real desire to play him. A complete misstep when you consider that money could have been used at CF or RW.

6. Ake

Pure greed.

7. Willian

Baffling low level, seems like he doesn’t even want to try.

8. Bale

Insane wage, needs to do much more

9. Ivanovic

Desperation central at West Brom

10. Lewis

Newcastle needed to squeeze every penny that Ashley gave them, and he hasn’t done even nearly enough.

Skills

Snitch
It's brewster by absolute miles. 30m well spent is the difference between Sheffield Utd surving another season the PL rather than bouncing down the championship.

It's an awful, awful signing for a club who were in for a massive fight this season.

Bale Bale Bale

Supports
Spurs
Ziyech has two goals in all comps this season and cost 35m+, I doubt he's on minimum wage either.

Patchbeard

The Knockaert one isn't really correct. Fulham had him on loan last season with the option to buy when loan was due to end in July, which due to covid was still last season and they took up that option. He then played in all their playoff games as they got promoted. Not a great signing for longevity...but you could argue they got their money's worth with the promotion!

Welbeckham

The Knockaert one isn't really correct. Fulham had him on loan last season with the option to buy when loan was due to end in July, which due to covid was still last season and they took up that option. He then played in all their playoff games as they got promoted. Not a great signing for longevity...but you could argue they got their money's worth with the promotion!
I think you’re referencing my list. I thought that seemed weird, so thanks for the correction.

H10

Huseyin 10
If there was time for Brewster to score, it would be in this game against Liverpool...and after he was submitted as a worst transfer in this thread.

Robertd0803

Ake's always injured for whatever reason but I'd love to know how he does alongside Dias or in a back 3.
Given how good Dias has been this season any of us could probably play next to him and look half decent.

Zen

I doubt Spurs are paying much of Bale's wages, like, seriously small amount, Real love to get rid of dead weight as cheap as possible while withholding true figures... if you are putting him on your list, you should be doing it on the basis of basically costing jack shit. Because if Real have agreed to allow it to be reported at 40%(250k possibly).... it's probably less than half that, they've gained from not having his distraction, and well, he's done okay-ish if you ignore his reputation(which i know is hard to do) for Spurs.

I'd say take your pick from the Chelsea bigs or Thiago really.... they've gone backwards, United/City haven't so I'm putting them over vdB and/or Ake. Though all but vdB and Ake would likely recoup good money... maybe vdB too, so in that sense, Ake or Brewster?

Charlie Foley

Top 10 is a long long list but here's may top 5.

5-. Nathan Alexander- 45M for a defender that can't get a sniff into the team, he's 4th at City's CB's pecking order at best.

Who is Nathan Alexander?

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
I mean it has to be Havertz, he cost Ronaldo money. The others are bad but not that bad

cjj

Supports
Spurs
I doubt Spurs are paying much of Bale's wages, like, seriously small amount, Real love to get rid of dead weight as cheap as possible while withholding true figures... if you are putting him on your list, you should be doing it on the basis of basically costing jack shit. Because if Real have agreed to allow it to be reported at 40%(250k possibly).... it's probably less than half that, they've gained from not having his distraction, and well, he's done okay-ish if you ignore his reputation(which i know is hard to do) for Spurs.
Levy factor also added in. They're probably, secretly, paying us. Somehow.

nuanced

loves geopolitical narrative
Rodrigo and Semedo - Haven't provided the expected return for the amount invested in them and their past reputation. Leeds and Wolves would've been better served if they went for some other players in their stead.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
1. Harvetz (80m for average player)
2. VDB (40m for 5th choice and benchwarmer)
3. Brewster (30m for 0 goals)
4. Ake (40m for 4th choice and bench warmer)
5. Werner (50m, scored much less than expected)

ariveded

Brewster is interesting. He is a young English player, so at least half of the 26M can be recouped. Yet, his one bad season is a key reason for the club to "relegate".

Unless he is on big wages, Sheff Utd should stick with him, even in Championship...

Tallis

Seems incredibly harsh to call most of these guys as “worst transfers” especially as some of them are adapting to a new country / league and in the first season of their careers at this level. Maybe underwhelming transfers may be more appropriate.

Tottenhamguy

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Liverpool sure do have a knack of selling there 'deadwood' players if you like to call it for good prices, off the top of my head.

Brewster
Ibe
Solanke

Eternitiy

Van de Beek has been one of the worst signings for the money that I can ever remember. Those responsible should be held accountable.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Brewster and Ramsdale by a mile. Especially when you consider that Sheff United don't have the money to throw around like United or Chelsea, they put all their eggs into two broken baskets.

simplyared

Too early to judge the Chelsea signings. Ask me the question when Tuchel has been given enough time to work with them. Timo Werner already showing his worth.
To be fair I'd go along with the OP and say VDB and Thiago. Can't see either of them making any form of impact. Disappointments both of them!