The toxic players

OL29

Have you seen how fat Rojo is!? If that isn't a poor attitude then I don't know what is. Something has happened with Valencia, he had a massive falling out with Mourinho didn't he?
:lol: yeah I can definitely agree with Rojo being unprofessional. Now I think back, him sitting on the bench laughing as we were getting embarrassed by Everton, I think, was particularly annoying. The whole Valencia thing is strange to me, I remember rumours of him falling out with Jose but I don’t get why he was still completely ignored by Ole, especially as Ashley Young was hardly pulling up any trees with his performances.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Have you seen how fat Rojo is!? If that isn't a poor attitude then I don't know what is. Something has happened with Valencia, he had a massive falling out with Mourinho didn't he?
I'm speculating but I wouldn't be surprised if Valencia's alleged feud with Mourinho went far enough that the club decided to privately sanction him until the end of the season.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Rojo was also pictured smoking as well while he's been with us, which is about as unprofessional as it gets really.

Oyibo

I dont believe for one minute that Rashford and Lingard are Toxic.

Martial, Sanchez, Pogba.. Yes

Lukaku, not sure toxic, but he wants out.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Bit of a disingenuous comment really as you're guessing a bit. The guy never specified why he wanted a large number gone so we don't know. And he also made it sound like Martial is on thin ice but it's literally going to be one last chance for him, along with a couple of others.
Fair enough, he didn't mention potential toxicity at all - so, yes, the exact reason(s) for wanting them gone could be numerous, including that he considers them "toxic" or something similar.

Nevertheless, if we choose to treat the guy as legit, I think we can conclude that Ole doesn't consider either Pogba or Martial as toxic. He doesn't want to get rid of either of those.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
@Vato @giorno @carvajal can probably she'd better light. Though you're right, it was stupid of me to split the camp in terms of nationality.
Yes, Pepe demanded more respect for Iker https://www.marca.com/2013/05/04/futbol/equipos/real_madrid/1367698320.html and days later Mourinho attacked Pepe in the press conference, saying that Pepe´s problem was Varane.
It was not a matter of nationality, rather to share the same agent (Di Maria did not position himself too much), but at the end even Cristiano couldn´t bear it.
The great allies of Mourinho were Xabi Alonso and Arbeloa, who considered that even if you did not like the coach, you had to go to death with him, without intoxicating leaking to the press.

I heard players from Pripyat used to be very toxic.
:lol:

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
confirmed FM player all about the dynamics :lol:

Seriously though. People wilfully assume horrible stuff about players because of press and pundit speculation.

For example if you hear a Mitten talk about Pogba the person. As compared to Pogba as the media, punditry and angry fans know him. They is a universe large discrepancy.

acnumber9

I’m not sure if I hate the use of the phrase toxic more or it’s misuse.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers

Seriously though. People wilfully assume horrible stuff about players because of press and pundit speculation.

For example if you hear a Mitten talk about Pogba the person. As compared to Pogba as the media, punditry and angry fans know him. They is a universe large discrepancy.
My big issue with Pogba is him talking about Madrid on international breaks. I think he is a fantastic if not inconsistent player but as I have said before I have never once felt like this guy plays for my club. To me it feels like he is on loan or a guest player, De Gea kind of had that feeling about him too but at least he renewed once before.

I also wish he was a leader on the pitch but I suppose thats too much to ask.

JPRouve

Scout
Being lazy or weak not being toxic. Anything harmful could be considered toxic and I would put laziness right at the top of that.
That's a little confusing, then surely you don't really see scenarios where it's misused because your definition includes pretty much everything? Personally I would only call someone(s) toxic if they actively have a negative influence on the entire team which from where I stand is very difficult to say and why I won't use it much.

acnumber9

That's a little confusing, then surely you don't really see scenarios where it's misused because your definition includes pretty much everything? Personally I would only call someone(s) toxic if they actively have a negative influence on the entire team which from where I stand is very difficult to say and why I won't use it much.
What I should’ve said was in comparison to the other definitions being used. Anything harmful can be considered toxic in this context if it does actually impact others.

JPRouve

Scout
My big issue with Pogba is him talking about Madrid on international breaks. I think he is a fantastic if not inconsistent player but as I have said before I have never once felt like this guy plays for my club. To me it feels like he is on loan or a guest player, De Gea kind of had that feeling about him too but at least he renewed once before.

I also wish he was a leader on the pitch but I suppose thats too much to ask.
If that's your issue then you should target french media and their obsession with Zidane, they brought Madrid up for pretty much every relevant french player since he went back.

Smores

People seriously think we don't have any toxic attitudes in the dressing room? I think our dressing room mentality reflects itself out on the pitch and there's no way things are okay.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
If that's your issue then you should target french media and their obsession with Zidane, they brought Madrid up for pretty much every relevant french player since he went back.
He has been talking about Madrid since he got here, also when Zidane wasnt coach.

Can you honestly tell me the dude screams I want to stay at United forever to you?

I guess it could also relate to who his agent is and how he left us the first time I suppose.

Revaulx

Presumably to be toxic you have to possess the power to influence others. If it’s true that everyone hates Sanchez, then he’s not going to to doing that. Rather, the rest of the squad will be united against him.

JPRouve

Scout
He has been talking about Madrid since he got here, also when Zidane wasnt coach.

Can you honestly tell me the dude screams I want to stay at United forever to you?

I guess it could also relate to who his agent is and how he left us the first time I suppose.
When has he talked about Real Madrid?

Born2Lose

It's easy to blame Pogba and Lingard, but the truth is our senior players are a bunch of spineless neverwas players who cannot command any respect from the younger ones.

It then all falls on Pogba, because who else has any charisma or spine? Smalling, Young, Jones, Static Matic ...

I thought Joe Hart spoke well a few weeks ago about how influential Kompany is in the dressing room even though he doesn't play that much.

JPRouve

Scout
Could be any of them we can guess all we want but the club knows who they are and needs addressing first thing.
The problem is that the players that are the most likely to be complacent or even defeated are the ones that have ended with new contracts, the likes of Rojo, Young, Lingard, Jones, Smalling, Shaw and even Martial, I'm forgetting some of them. These players have been at the club during the worst periods and they all seem to just going with the motion and it's in my opinion the worst thing, when losing becomes an habit.

Last edited:

SaintMuppet

I think ‘toxic’ is a word used in pubs and on forums and picked up on by the media.

It’s far more likely that wage differential, lifestyle choices cause some natural divisions.

Mostly it’s about attitude, ability and performance on field. We all know the players who throw their hands up in the air, don’t run and don’t track back. These are the guys i would be pointing my finger at.

Erebus

To me toxic means actively working to destroy and undermine the club and I just don't see that. I see some out of their depth, I see some lazy, I see some who clearly want out - but I don't see toxic.

hobbers

I don't think we have many properly toxic players, other than perhaps Sanchez.

What we do have are plenty of apathetic and spineless players, and not much intelligence about the squad.

Will Singh

The problem is that the players that are the most likely to be complacent or even defeated are the ones that have ended new contracts, the likes of Rojo, Young, Lingard, Jones, Smalling, Shaw and even Martial, I'm forgetting some of them. These players have been at the club during the worst periods and they all seem to just going with the motion and it's in my opinion the worst thing, when losing becomes an habit.
The thing with habits is that it will run through a whole club like wild fire, look at us as fans we've become so used to the crap we've been through that a top 4 finish would be considered an achievement next season.

The problem we've got is by the looks of the players being linked we are going for young unknown players which btw I'm happy with, but the dressing room like you say they've become used to losing that will rub off on the new players.

Paul_Scholes18

Don't think the players are toxic. Probably a lack of drive and winning mentality around. They don't push each other enough or even themselfes.

Also most of them are not happy with things right now. Some want out and other might just turn lazy from it.

Red00012

Sanchez is toxic because of his wages

Lingard is toxic because he’s JLingz

Phil Jones is toxic because he’s always injured.

Rojo is toxic because he’s useless

Lukaku is toxic because he should be playing another sport.

We have a few different grouping of players with different problems, when added together creates a toxic mess.

1. The players who think they're better than United; De Gea and Pogba. Rather than act like leaders they're downing tools and acting like brats over their contracts.

2. The players who were here under Fergie: jones, Smalling and young. The act entitled to be at the club while their performances are terrible. I think they believe because Fergie signed them they get to stay forever.

3. A whole bunch of younger players who think they've made it because they play for United. They have no role models in the squad, no guidance from top pros.

The entire set up is shambolic. Stinks of a lack of planning at senior levels in the club.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
Completely agree.
Martial has the worst attitude of any Manchester United player I've ever seen. He literally downs tools and shrugs his shoulders.

Pogba believes his own hype.
This. May have all the talent in the world but he's just so soft. Difficult to find a word really. Yet people seem to be happy selling Lukaku (not cotroversial in itself) and let Martial lead the line... At least the fat man gave us that PSG game. We can't build the team around this lad, I'm sorry. I don't even know if he'll pull his finger out one day.

Jibbs

Pogba, Lukaku, Sanchez, Martial, Rashford and now De Gea too.

Web of Bissaka

Okay.. "Toxic" is being defined and used differently in every posts so far.

:lol: Confusing at first.
For me, zero.

Our players, most of 'em are more like the lazy, the over-sensitive and the wimpy players who have questionable attitude and lack of drive/ambition.
Generally, all of 'em are too friendly to each other... which can be a problem.
eg. if their team mates are doing shit, if you're too nice or best buds, you're likely won't say it to their faces, in order for your friendship to be maintained.

Squad lacks now a strong influential character than can counteract those type of personalities.
Either get rid of the usual suspects at least most of them out, or get more new ambitious players to "balance" the team's whole personalities. Do both.
Tch the last best one we've had is Zlatan and recently Herrera also left.. future is soo bright.

Enigma_87

You know who
Why is Lingard considered toxic? :confused: He's just average, but can't fault his effort.

Rashford also isn't someone who I'd call toxic.

Jib

Pogba is toxic because he said that we should attack more especially at home and few months later, some french journalists asked him if he rates Zidane and if he wants to play for Madrid. He just said that he's happy even if Madrid is a dream for every player. Wow what a toxic player :lol:

A very classy answer despite the way Mourinho and the fans abused him.

Why in France and Italy he never had the reputation to be a toxic player ? He shone in Italy while Mata, Herrera, Lingard, Jones, Smalling & Cie were awful with Moyes and Van Gaal but Pogba is toxic :houllier:

In Rainbows

All I see in this thread is that once again the players who were around during the Moyes and LVG era don't get blamed again. Young, Jones, Smalling, and to a certain extent Lingard.