The Transition From Disney Land

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Maybe not but unless he is convicted, I doubt the club can terminate his contract.

As a player, surely. As a person, doubt it.
They can release him a free rather than cancelling his contract. Then he would do well to find himself a foreign club away from this because it will follow him from ground to ground in England

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Guitly or not. That wage will be freed up and he'll be playing football elsewhere.

Court of popular opinion has already charged him. We are literally Disney Land, public opinion is as precious to the club as money.
Really - you think somebody else is going to sign him - especially if there is pending or actual charges and the possibility of a legal case to come?

Perhaps if hes not charged somebody might take him - but if hes not charged its probably at least as likley he stays with United?

He's under contract till 2025 and as far as I know unless he is found guilty the maximum united can do is fine him 2 weeks wages and suspend him (but keep paying him) - as I say I find it hard to imagine a scenario where he is off the wage bill this summer

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
They can release him a free rather than cancelling his contract. Then he would do well to find himself a foreign club away from this because it will follow him from ground to ground in England
They would have to pay his £19.5m contract up in full (wages till 2025) plus any loyalty bonus he would have been due under the contract I think. - Mason greenwood and his representatives would probably have to agree to it as well.

A club cant simply terminate a contract (without due cause) any more than a player can just walk out half way through a contract

From a PR, and financial perspective I find it unlikely United would do that
1. Loose any potential to have him found not guilty and come back (or potential fee if sold)
2. Potentially pay somebody later convicted a huge sum of money they wouldn't be entitled to
3. Paying out money up front that potentially you would not have been liable to pay

Lynty

Really - you think somebody else is going to sign him - especially if there is pending or actual charges and the possibility of a legal case to come?

Perhaps if hes not charged somebody might take him - but if hes not charged its probably at least as likley he stays with United?

He's under contract till 2025 and as far as I know unless he is found guilty the maximum united can do is fine him 2 weeks wages and suspend him (but keep paying him) - as I say I find it hard to imagine a scenario where he is off the wage bill this summer
Oh I doubt he moves until the court case is settled.

But I'd be suprised if we see him in a United shirt again. For his own sake (mental health wise) it's best he moves on. Rashford gets abused for poor performances despite feeding the nations hungry children. Greenwood has no chance unfortunately.

Mike Smalling

If we could just get rid of Pogba, Matic, Lingard, Mata, Cavani and one of Bailly/Jones this summer, we would have cleared up more than enough for three quality additions.

I’m probably dreaming, but that would be a start.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
1)The right manager

2) Good recruitment

3) Smart and competitive wage structure

4) Limitations on player power

5) Intelligence in dealing with the media

6) Open dialogue and communication lines with fans

7) A large majority of the staff buying in

8) Great scouting and youth system

If we can get to 6 out of 8 we will have transitioned.

LoneStar

Significant wage issues:

De Gea - £375k - Decent shot stopper but poor value at that wage. Won't suit the new managers tactics and we should consider any bids that came in. He only has one more year on that deal and we should not be thinking about renewing it

Varane - £340k - Top class defender when fit. Worth keeping. 4 years left on his deal.

Maguire - £160k - Poor value and a wage we should be looking to clear if at all possible. 4 years left on his deal.

Wan-Bissaka - £90k - Poor value and a wage we should be looking to clear if at all possible. 3 years left on his deal.

Matic - £120k - Was good value a coule of years ago but has fallen as his influence and consistency in the team has dropped. We should be looking to clear this from the wage bill. 1 year left on his contract.

Fred - £120k - Only 1 year left on his deal. Will be one of the first jobs for Ten Hag to decide if he wants to offer a new contract or whether to cash in this summer.

Pogba - £290k - Wage to be freed up this summer.

Mata - £160k - Wage to be freed up this summer.

Lingard - £75k - Wage to be freed up this summer.

Van de Beek - £120k - Poor value thus far. Hopefully the arrival of Ten Hag can kickstart his United career. 4 years left on his deal.

Greenwood - £75k - Wage to be freed up this summer.

Sancho - £350k - Expensive, but a quality young player who will hopefully flourish under Ten Hag.

Rashford - £200k - Appalling value on recent form. Needs a transformation next season or we should be looking to cash in in January. 2 years left on his deal.

Martial - £250k - Even worse value. Impossible to shift unless we release him on a free and heavily subsidise his wages at the new club. 3 years left on his deal.

Ronaldo - £480k - Expensive, but expected for a player of his profile. 1 year left which he will likely see out unless he demands to leave for CL football in the summer.

Cavani - £250k - Wage to be freed up this summer.

~

A solid chunk of the major issues are going to sort themselves out this summer and a few more next. The only real long term problem in terms of a DisneyLand wage that I don't see us being able to shift is Martial.
Wow. I didn’t know Sancho was on 300k! And Mata who’s basically a bench warmer for the last couple of seasons earning 160K….. Speechless….

golden_blunder

Staff
They would have to pay his £19.5m contract up in full (wages till 2025) plus any loyalty bonus he would have been due under the contract I think. - Mason greenwood and his representatives would probably have to agree to it as well.

A club cant simply terminate a contract (without due cause) any more than a player can just walk out half way through a contract

From a PR, and financial perspective I find it unlikely United would do that
1. Loose any potential to have him found not guilty and come back (or potential fee if sold)
2. Potentially pay somebody later convicted a huge sum of money they wouldn't be entitled to
3. Paying out money up front that potentially you would not have been liable to pay
Sorry let me clarify, if he is not charged, or beats it due to lack of evidence etc that lad will still not be able to play in England due to pressures from fans in the street, in grounds around the country, from sponsors etc

you’re probably right regarding the money, hence I think they will just hang on indefinitely whether it takes a year or 2 to see what comes off the case

however I was talking about a free transfer, which a club can do at any stage not canceling his contract

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Getting rid of those players on the wages that you pay will be extremely difficult. They could easily become the new Winston Bogardes.. the lot of them. Certainly Phil Jones has no reason to ever leave, his contract is extended even when he never plays.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Getting rid of those players on the wages that you pay will be extremely difficult. They could easily become the new Winston Bogardes.. the lot of them. Certainly Phil Jones has no reason to ever leave, his contract is extended even when he never plays.
Bring in Winston Bogarde to the backroom staff

Denis79

I refuse to believe Sancho is getting not far off Ronaldo’s wage. He hasn’t achieved anything in his young career, so I’m calling bs
I don't believe those wages either but sadly I wouldn't say they are completely impossible at our club. Seeing Martial at 250K questions their sanity. Wasn't Henderson given 100K without even playing?

georgipep

Sure, but his contract ends in 2027, not 2022. The club can release him then.

golden_blunder

Staff
Sure, but his contract ends in 2027, not 2022. The club can release him then.
My instinct tells me that if he’s not found guilty they will come to an agreement mutually, that he’s allowed to leave for free and find a club away from the pressure pot

georgipep

My instinct tells me that if he’s not found guilty they will come to an agreement mutually, that he’s allowed to leave for free and find a club away from the pressure pot
Not sure if the club will write off a valuable asset (in accounting terms) like him like that, but we'll aee

EtH

It is beginning to feel like the transition is underway.

EtH

Bumping this again as we are in a much better spot than we have been in a long time after the departures this summer never mind the new manager’s apparent ability to get a song out of average footballers. We are improving.

I would also underscore my last comment. Overreacting to every decision or result is extremely daft at this point especially when we are forced to play our second choice team which is still very poor and doesn’t fit ten Hag’s philosophy.