The Trivela XI

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Personally I find trivela (as in hitting the ball with an outside of the foot) one of the most wonderful things about football. Watching Dunga made me realise just how often he used it — I knew that he passed/shoot with an outside of the foot from time to time but didn't realise the extent of it. So I thought about compiling an all-time XI of players that were known for it — with a preference to frequent users over an overall talent though. I'm sure that there are some wonderful players that I've forgotten though, so who would be your favourites?

Éder — Puskás— Quaresma
van Hanegem
Modrić
Dunga

R. Carlos — Beckenbauer — CB — Nelinho
GK​

The certainties for me are in bold, but I would be quite happy to receive your suggestions even on those positions.

Other options: Cruyff, Cubillas, Best, Bale, Pogba?

Some obligatory videos :drool:

Enigma_87

You know who
This reminds me of the following "honest" comparison:

:D

Otherwise Cristiano, Nani have used it often from memories.

Occasionally I've seen Lamps and Scholes used it as well as Dani Alves from the side.

harms

Staff
This reminds me of the following "honest" comparison:

:D

Otherwise Cristiano, Nani have used it often from memories.

Occasionally I've seen Lamps and Scholes used it as well as Dani Alves from the side.
:lol:

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Harry Maguire according to some article in the Athletic the other day which I didn't read :lol:

In fairness it is noticeable how often he controls and passes the ball with the outside of his right foot.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football

The fact RVP missed this still annoys me
RVP really did improve his right foot significantly, right as he was about to hit his prime. He looks so uncomfortable with his right foot prior to that.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Hard to improve upon that team. I don't think either replace those in the starting XI, but are Veron or Carlos Alberto worth a shout for their wondrous outside-of-the-boot passes for Solskjaer and Jairzinho respectively?

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Was gonna mentioned Scholes and Nani, but someone said it already. That Nani's pass against Bayern's CL game was superb.

I remember Quarasema scored a good trivela's goal in last Euro.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Didi seemed to use the outside of his foot a fair bit.

Berbatov had a tendency for that too if I remember correctly.

harms

Staff
I didn't know what these were called but I loved hitting passes like that, too!
It’s Portuguese, but I always found that irritating that you have to type 5 words (including pass/goal) to describe it in English.

Didi seemed to use the outside of his foot a fair bit.
That’s a very good shout! In Russian we even call trivelas “Swedes” (шведа/шведка) — apparently after the 1958 World Cup where Didi used it a lot.

harms

Staff
Any ideas on cage second center back & a keeper? I realize that the latter is probably an impossible task.

I’d have to check, but I have a hunch that Koeman & Chumpitaz and perhaps Figueroa may qualify.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan

When Özil came up in the FF, I looked up a few RM highlight comps on youtube. Was astonished how often he used the outside of his boot, didn't remember that. About a third of the assists in this compilation are done this way. The trivela cross at 1:23 is perfection.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Any ideas on cage second center back & a keeper? I realize that the latter is probably an impossible task.

I’d have to check, but I have a hunch that Koeman & Chumpitaz and perhaps Figueroa may qualify.
Alex would be my shout at centre-back. Scored a few free-kicks in the traditional Brazilian style of power and outside-of-the-boot swerve.

harms

Staff

When Özil came up in the FF, I looked up a few RM highlight comps on youtube. Was astonished how often he used the outside of his boot, didn't remember that. About a third of the assists in this compilation are done this way. The trivela cross at 1:23 is perfection.
What a magical player. It's insane that he had spent 7 seasons at Arsenal compared to 4 at Madrid, he'd always be associated with Real for me; Guti-esque but with better mentality.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
What a magical player. It's insane that he had spent 7 seasons at Arsenal compared to 4 at Madrid, he'd always be associated with Real for me; Guti-esque but with better mentality.
Yeah, he had a bit of a weird career. But really fantastic up until the 2014 WC win, from Ruhrgebiet talent to world class player in step with the likes of Ronaldo and Benzema. The combination of technical genius and consistent, enormous end product was something else. 15/16 season a last reminder of that.

Trumpeter Whydah

Supports
Full Members
Who needs two CBs in a trivela squad?

I recall how amazed I was watching a young Tomáš Rosický treat the ball. A master of low trivela passes. I'd have him in my XI.