The Trump Presidency | Biden Inaugurated

Status
Not open for further replies.

ErranMorad

Mattis leaving is very bad news for the world. 'The Mad Dog' was the most rational person in this administration.
Don't know. If on one hand you are withdrawing troops from the middle east because you don't want America be the world police, you cannot now plunge more troops & resources in that same quagmire by starting a war with Iran.

Having said that, it's Trump, so there is very little logic to things.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Is it just me that can't tell the difference between all these rich old white dudes that work for Trump?

I know almost nothing about Mattis, but just by looking at him I simply know he's a cnut.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
It’s obviously moronic to declare victory against ISIS, and abandoning the Kurds like this leaves a bad taste although they’ll have seen it coming hopefully. But I would’ve thought pulling troops out of a Middle Eastern war (and a potential draw-down in Afghanistan) might be received more enthusiastically by the Cafe.

Kaos

It’s obviously moronic to declare victory against ISIS, and abandoning the Kurds like this leaves a bad taste although they’ll have seen it coming hopefully. But I would’ve thought pulling troops out of a Middle Eastern war (and a potential draw-down in Afghanistan) might be received more enthusiastically by the Cafe.
I think it’s great, delighted.

Granted he’s obviously doing this to placate Putin and not because he’s some bonafide non-interventionist like Ron Paul but honestly I couldn’t care less. I’ve been hoping for less US intervention in the region and that’s what’s happening here.

I’m a little sad to see the Kurds being hung out to dry but their status quo was never really sustainable. Hope this means they can cut a deal with the regime to cede some key oilfields in return for some form of semi autonomy and a deterrence of Turkish aggression.

Mind you I’m not as naive as to think Trump will come good on his promise to back out of ME affairs. He is still watertight with the Saudis and Israelis so woudnt put it past him to up the ante against Iran, especially if his domestic affairs become more precarious and he desperately needs that distraction.

Abizzz

You can’t refute it. He’s been a general of the world’s largest military for a long time. Did you expect him to be a saint?
Americans either need to stop using this defense or stop telling the world their military personal are "heros" every 2 seconds all year long.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
You can’t refute it. He’s been a general of the world’s largest military for a long time. Did you expect him to be a saint?
After WW2 we held trials and hung German generals for things like wiping out innocent civilians. Now 70 years later when American generals do it, the response is 'Did you expect him to be a saint?'?

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
Americans either need to stop using this defense or stop telling the world their military personal are "heros" every 2 seconds all year long.
It’s not a defense of him or the system. I’m just calling it how it is. With very few exceptions, which general in history isn’t complicit in murder? Not trying to argue, I’m just saying.

And I too dislike the over insistance on patriotism even having growing up in a miliary family.

Abizzz

It’s not a defense of him or the system. I’m just calling it how it is. With very few exceptions, which general in history isn’t complicit in murder? Not trying to argue, I’m just saying.

And I too dislike the over insistance on patriotism even having growing up in a miliary family.
It came across as defense, sorry if I misunderstood you. I'm aware there's plenty of criticism of this in the States, saying "Americans" was too broad a brush from me, but it's very irritating how this comes up every time the United States are called out over anything, and over the years has become hard to take anyone trotting it out very serious. No one expects saints, i'm no saint, but i'm not a murderer either. We expect them to be held to account, and that's not happening. As a result there's this culture where whatever the Marines do is the definition of good, instead of looking at what they do and judging that.

This forum needs an exception for the abbreviation of United States.

Kaos

Ahh the classic Trump effect where he makes cnuts look like saints. Donny has got some people thinking that Bush was alright, McCain was a class act and Mattis is valiance personified. Next we’re going to be calling Kissinger an all American hero.

Florida Man

It came across as defense, sorry if I misunderstood you. I'm aware there's plenty of criticism of this in the States, saying "Americans" was too broad a brush from me, but it's very irritating how this comes up every time the United States are called out over anything, and over the years has become hard to take anyone trotting it out very serious. No one expects saints, i'm no saint, but i'm not a murderer either. We expect them to be held to account, and that's not happening. As a result there's this culture where whatever the Marines do is the definition of good, instead of looking at what they do and judging that.
Yeah I’m very cynical about how much good they’re objectively doing. But they’re a small part of a bigger political game I think. To the ones who run this show, it’s all about resources and influence. To regular Marines, a lot of them really believe they are defending our freedoms. And maybe to some extent they are, I don’t know. But a part of me can appreciate that they’re willing to die for their country/people even though I don’t think that’s what’s really happening outside their mindset. It’s a weird love/hate feeling.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
German Generals were killing millions of innocent people on purpose. Mattis killed dozens on terrible intuition but not on purpose.
No, I'm not talking about the killing of millions, those held responsible for that were mostly the German high command and government. I'm talking about individual generals being held account for specific massacres. In some cases the number of deaths was actually fairly small, often far less than the number of people killed at Mukaradeeb.

Under international war crime laws, you can't just say 'it wasn't on purpose' if you completely disregard the potential for civilians to be hurt or killed. Not caring enough to do due diligence is not an excuse. In the case of Mukaradeeb, Mattis said he thought about it for all of 30 seconds before giving the command. That is the kind of wild recklessness that deserves serious punishment. Oh and let's not forget he also lied, and said there was no evidence of a wedding in the wreckage, which was later proved completely untrue by video evidence found by the press.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
He hasn't declared victory against ISIS, he's said that they are not America's problem, they are Russia and Iran and other neighbour's problem.

So yeah, basically Trump has said that ISIS aren't a problem and we shouldn't be fighting them.

Florida Man

No, I'm not talking about the killing of millions, those held responsible for that were mostly the German high command and government. I'm talking about individual generals being held account for specific massacres. In some cases the number of deaths was actually fairly small, often far less than the number of people killed at Mukaradeeb.

Under international war crime laws, you can't just say 'it wasn't on purpose' if you completely disregard the potential for civilians to be hurt or killed. Not caring enough to do due diligence is not an excuse. In the case of Mukaradeeb, Mattis said he thought about it for all of 30 seconds before giving the command. That is the kind of wild recklessness that deserves serious punishment. Oh and let's not forget he also lied, and said there was no evidence of a wedding in the wreckage, which was later proved completely untrue by video evidence found by the press.
Hmm interesting. Well I suppose he got his punishment in having to work closely with Trump.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
He hasn't declared victory against ISIS, he's said that they are not America's problem, they are Russia and Iran and other neighbour's problem.

So yeah, basically Trump has said that ISIS aren't a problem and we shouldn't be fighting them.
In the video he says “we have won against ISIS, we’ve beaten them and we’ve beaten them badly and taken back the land...now we’ve won it’s time to come back...we won, and that’s the way we want it...”

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
Can someone explain this to me? Isn't the house the chamber now in control of dems and the one that will refuse funding for the wall?

Don't their approval and giving it to senate means the funding will be approved? Isn't that what Trump wants? So why the shutdown?

I'm sure I misunderstood it, or else that tweet would have more comments, can someone explain to me what is going on with the wall and this shutdown threat thing?

Spark

Can someone explain this to me? Isn't the house the chamber now in control of dems and the one that will refuse funding for the wall?

Don't their approval and giving it to senate means the funding will be approved? Isn't that what Trump wants? So why the shutdown?

I'm sure I misunderstood it, or else that tweet would have more comments, can someone explain to me what is going on with the wall and this shutdown threat thing?
So the Dems take control from 1st Jan - without reading any of the specifics of what the House has currently done, I reckon this is a cynical move to get the wall passed before they're unable to even think of passing similar legislation for at least another two (probably a lot more) years.

MTF

@Abizzz , that's the correct mindset for any military commander. Be active instead of reactive, interrupt the enemy's decision cycle. It's not that he's walking around the city trying to create chaos in people's lives.

Abizzz

@Abizzz , that's the correct mindset for any military commander. Be active instead of reactive, interrupt the enemy's decision cycle. It's not that he's walking around the city trying to create chaos in peoplesp lives.
It's not the creating stress part that's worrying to me. The thought of a military leader overseeing thousands of young people going out to kill and be killed not feeling any stress is disturbing. His decisions are life and death decisions, plenty of people have died because of decisions he took. Not feeling any stress about it is incomprehensible to me. I can only rationalize it through a complete lack of morals.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Are those quotes real? :lol:

He sounds like an 80's action figure.

My god, the world is truly run by absolute tits.

MTF

It's not the creating stress part that's worrying to me. The thought of a military leader overseeing thousands of young people going out to kill and be killed not feeling any stress is disturbing. His decisions are life and death decisions, plenty of people have died because of decisions he took. Not feeling any stress about it is incomprehensible to me. I can only rationalize it through a complete lack of morals.
He was answering a question at the time he was CENTCOM commander, and I think it was about what caused him stress. So the expected replies are something like Iran, Syria, so on and so forth. But he's flipping it around and postulating that his is the most dangerous force in the region and that his adversaries have more to worry about from him than the other way round.

He wasn't at his therapist answering if he ever felt stressed about things in his past or present.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
He was answering a question at the time he was CENTCOM commander, and I think it was about what caused him stress. So the expected replies are something like Iran, Syria, so on and so forth. But he's flipping it around and postulating that his is the most dangerous force in the region and that his adversaries have more to worry about from him than the other way round.

He wasn't at his therapist answering if he ever felt stressed about things in his past or present.
Be that is it may, I'd say something like; First and foremost, you have to realize that we are the strongest force in the region, MAGA, American eagle sign, feck yeah, etc. However, ours is still a very daunting task, since we have to make sure that, while fighting our enemy we have to avoid civilian casualties at all costs. We can't just go around blowing up weddings and say, ah feck it, our bad.

Though I suppose, they can and they did. so yeah, he may be right, feck stress.

Abizzz

He said it again to Wolf Blitzer and to the same effect:
John Dickerson: What keeps you awake at night?
James Mattis: Nothing, I keep other people awake at night.
If I follow your argument though you are saying Iran and Syria have it worse because he is even worse than Iran and Syria? I don't see how that is any better to be honest.

(and that's just from that page @Barca84 linked).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.