The Trump Presidency | Biden Inaugurated

Status
Not open for further replies.

InfiniteBoredom

This in of itself is fascinating. Gamifying partisanship, removing nuance and vilifying opposition is really what has us where we are. And who did that? In my opinion the politicians are a symptom, not the cause.

The US has allowed itself, through the deification of capitalism, to have policy dictated by companies, not voters. Voters didn't want that tax bill. Didn't want the repeal of the fairness doctrine. Don't want easing of environmental protections, gutting of consumer rights, funding reductions in education or even a damn wall.

The vast, vast majority of Americans really want the same thing: remove barriers to move up in the world. But the barriers are put there by the system and people that most benefit from them.

Fox news could run stories and frame coverage in an effort to help its viewers. But that's not how it can make the most money, and there's no protection for its customers to not be lied to.

America today is a ringing endorsement for not allowing unfettered capitalism, because it's all about greed, and greed doesn't lead to good societal outcomes.

Will anything change? Certainly not with someone like Trump in charge .
What you said is largely true, but I can’t help but note that the division of a country/society into the haves and have-nots ,with opportunists exploiting that to their own benefits, leading to the eventual corrosion and collapse of such societies, is a tale as old as time.

We have more comforts than the plebs of Rome did, but when it comes to rights and the strength of our votes, it’s still the same - zero. The ruling class has just been more discreet about that little inconvenient fact.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt

Great thread here....

It's corruption like this that makes me sick. I've no doubt it went on long before Trump was in power and no doubt will long after, but it completely makes a mockery out of his disgusting immigration and wall rants.
Calling Atiku corrupt is an understatement. And he could be our next president.
I want to cry. :(

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal

Great thread here....

It's corruption like this that makes me sick. I've no doubt it went on long before Trump was in power and no doubt will long after, but it completely makes a mockery out of his disgusting immigration and wall rants.
Man it's good to be the king

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
to summarize. Your view is similar to the 'good people on both sides' spouted by Trump.
Not saying anyone who disagrees with calling Trump out for his gross misdeeds is not welcome to his view. But it needs to be articulated.

You are wrong saying Nancy is simply playing politics. Trump was offered 1.6 billion for border security in the bill that He agreed on before he changed his mind.
He has given no details on what this wall for which he wants 5.6 billion or whatever he wants.
The people and the nation suffering are 100% the fault of Trump and the Republicans.
Finally I found something that I completely agree with Red Dreams. Cheers man

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Boils my piss seeing Conservatives fall over themselves to praise MLK while doing everything they can to stop minorities from voting.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam

Kaos

Boils my piss seeing Conservatives fall over themselves to praise MLK while doing everything they can to stop minorities from voting.
Yep, almost as nauseating as how they never miss an opportunity to wheel out their ‘PaRty oF LiNcOLn’ nonsense while actively looking to undermine the very principles which motivated the man.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Mango Mussolini would have something else to say if it was black lives matter activists surrounding a vet.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
I'm amazed they were allowed into the game dressed in that makeup. How is that not racist and inciting problems?
According to their defenders on Twitter, this is part of a tradition called a “blackout” which is very common at sports events. Not having a clue about this part of American culture, I’ve no idea if this is true:

Also the photo is apparently from 2012, so nothing to do with the kids from the other day.

Billy Blaggs

Flacco of the Blaggs tribe
According to their defenders on Twitter, this is part of a tradition called a “blackout” which is very common at sports events. Not having a clue about this part of American culture, I’ve no idea if this is true:

Also the photo is apparently from 2012, so nothing to do with the kids from the other day.
Blackout games are (as far as I know) when you wear black shirts. Maybe @Carolina Red can shed some light on the face and body painting part.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
Also
It's a blackout game and there's absolutely nothing racist about it. It's not like they have all dressed in black and/or painted their bodies black to disrespect black people, it's just a theme ffs. It's exactly the same as "white parties" where people wear all white clothes, except there's no PC outrage at those things.

I'm all for tolerance and respect but can we please not make precisely everything into a "they did it because they are racists/nazis/homophobes etc"?

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
It's a blackout game and there's absolutely nothing racist about it. It's not like they have all dressed in black and/or painted their bodies black to disrespect black people, it's just a theme ffs. It's exactly the same as "white parties" where people wear all white clothes, except there's no PC outrage at those things.

I'm all for tolerance and respect but can we please not make precisely everything into a "they did it because they are racists/nazis/homophobes etc"?
What about the lad in minstrel facepaint on the right of the photo?

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
It's not the point that it's a few years ago, the point is it is the same school and it shows a tradition of racism. There is nothing wrong with dressing all in black (as long as it's not racially motivated) although I'm not sure how this tradition started or why? But the blackface and full on body paint is clearly a fecking problem!

That's not acceptable nor defensible and it is disgusting.

ChaddyP

Well. Yes there's nothing wrong with a black out game. But then what's with the kid dressed like Jim Crow on the far right (pun intended) of this photograph . Not exactly PC now is it

beedoubleyou

They will grow up to be even worse now they are being enabled, defended and supported by this cnut.

They will grow up to force themselves on women in college then go on to receive lifetime nominations for the supreme court.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
So apparently this is quite common:

But the smile painted on the Covington kids' face seems questionable.

(Edit): this one seems much worse:

America is a weird place.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
What about the lad in minstrel facepaint on the right of the photo?
Well. Yes there's nothing wrong with a black out game. But then what's with the kid dressed like Jim Crow on the far right (pun intended) of this photograph . Not exactly PC now is it
I agree the kid on the right has unfortunately crossed the line.
However I have no problem with the guy on the left of the photo, there's nothing racist with non-black people painting their bodies black for an occasion like that imo. Context matters.

I guess I just miss the time where people could dress up for an event or a party for no other reason than to just dress up for the fun of it, and everyone else would be happy that they dressed up. Obviously there are exceptions for this, but I hope you get my point.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
I guess I just miss the time where people could dress up for an event or a party for no other reason than to just dress up for the fun of it, and everyone else would be happy that they dressed up. Obviously there are exceptions for this, but I hope you get my point.
I can get your point but then...

I agree the kid on the right has unfortunately crossed the line.
... ruins it for everyone.

And the proof so far would lie on the side of there being more students like that at that school.

Status
Not open for further replies.