The Trump Presidency | Biden Inaugurated

Status
Not open for further replies.

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout

So once again he changes the narrative (with outright lies) feigning outrage in yet another attempt to pretend he and the GOP were never against witnesses, but we shouldn't have them because it won't matter anyway.

Come on John, punch back!

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Never seen anything like this in my life.
A normal person would keep quiet to hide the fact that it's hurting him.
Maybe it's more than just whining? Convincing his cult following to get their propaganda from elsewhere could be a credible threat to Fox News?

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Maybe it's more than just whining? Convincing his cult following to get their propaganda from elsewhere could be a credible threat to Fox News?
He did this a while back, and then Fox were super nice to him in their coverage. He gets it.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea

Come on John, punch back!
Nah, need him to not punch back. As soon as it turns into a twitter fight, it’s exacty what Trump wants. His followers will group up neatly behind him, and the GOP senators will have a united front for not hearing the testimony (or ignoring it). Bolton needs to stay quiet until he’s put on the stand so it keeps conservatives divided.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
What Trump talks like behind closed doors

Also - Take her out 42:35

Catching up to this now. Absolutely insane that the President of the USA can ever be in a room with a recording device present.

Kind of breaks down this concept of the secret service and the intelligence services as a whole being anywhere near the KGB/FSB.

Some random person of some standing but of no real consequence decided to record the supposed leader of the free world for almost an hour and not a single person noticed.

If an iPhone managed to record without challenge, I’m fairly confident that more subtle recording techniques are employed by more aggressive characters.

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
Nah, need him to not punch back. As soon as it turns into a twitter fight, it’s exacty what Trump wants. His followers will group up neatly behind him, and the GOP senators will have a united front for not hearing the testimony (or ignoring it). Bolton needs to stay quiet until he’s put on the stand so it keeps conservatives divided.
By punching back I meant with hard evidence, not some petty Twitter squabble. He's already dropped another bomb today regarding Rudy G. The trouble is it all leaking drip by drip as it has just means it's being ignored or overshadowed by something else Trump says or does. It will be something that is distasteful, rude, not Presidential, crass or just shocking, but enough to divert the attention from things that are illegal, unconstitutional and that truly matter.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
By punching back I meant with hard evidence, not some petty Twitter squabble. He's already dropped another bomb today regarding Rudy G. The trouble is it all leaking drip by drip as it has just means it's being ignored or overshadowed by something else Trump says or does. It will be something that is distasteful, rude, not Presidential, crass or just shocking, but enough to divert the attention from things that are illegal, unconstitutional and that truly matter.
I don’t mind the drip drip approach so much. If it all came out at once Trump would bury it quickly. This way it keeps Bolton on the front pages and Trump on the defense.

The Firestarter

"What about that warning from Varun? Okay? Snowflakes can't handle opinions. Not many people know that."
"And now they go to this guy house in Brit...land. And they start throwing rockets you know. I tell you what, they won't come to my house!" (crowd cheers)

Fergies Gum

This cant be true. Trump & his cronies keep telling us how the economy is in excellent shape.

madhed

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-51320848#share-tools

No witnesses allowed at a trial ? No 'Bombshell evidence allowed' ? Sounds legit. Bravo to this sham of an administration for shining an ever present light on the lack of clarity allowed in the judiciary system just as long as money and power are involved. You are EVERYTHING that is wrong with politics and law. Jog the feck on

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Welcome to acquittal day! Reminder: uninstall twitter, turn phone on airplane mode and get outside for a bit.

The Firestarter

Will the imperial coronation commence after the vote or next week? Lindsay with the coveted role of the leg stand.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Welcome to acquittal day! Reminder: uninstall twitter, turn phone on airplane mode and get outside for a bit.
Nah, been preparing for this day for years now. It might as well be a Tuesday, replete with an ill-advised drunken slump-buster with the ex.

Revan

Assumptionman
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-51320848#share-tools

No witnesses allowed at a trial ? No 'Bombshell evidence allowed' ? Sounds legit. Bravo to this sham of an administration for shining an ever present light on the lack of clarity allowed in the judiciary system just as long as money and power are involved. You are EVERYTHING that is wrong with politics and law. Jog the feck on
I don't get it. If Romney, Murkowski and Collins vote for witnesses, then it is in the hands of Roberts to decide if he allows witnesses or not. As Chief Justice, I see that decision going in only one way.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I don't get it. If Romney, Murkowski and Collins vote for witnesses, then it is in the hands of Roberts to decide if he allows witnesses or not. As Chief Justice, I see that decision going in only one way.
Do you believe that all three of Romney, Murkowski and Collins will vote for witnesses?

They are all going to ask all the right questions, raise their concerns and then vote as McConnell tells them to vote, deciding that "ultimately they believe Trump was acting in the interest of the nation and it's time to move on and do their real work as Senators".

Revan

Assumptionman
Do you believe that all three of Romney, Murkowski and Collins will vote for witnesses?

They are all going to ask all the right questions, raise their concerns and then vote as McConnell tells them to vote, deciding that "ultimately they believe Trump was acting in the interest of the nation and it's time to move on and do their real work as Senators".
Murkowski yes, Collins likely (otherwise she is fecked in the next elections), Romney who knows, he is essentially the new Jeff Flake who only talks but doesn't vote.

Have Mancin and Sinema said anything yet?

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel

According to all the mainstream websites, apparently Romney is being seen as a lone Republican who could vote to convict Trump. I think he's a definite yes on voting for witnesses.

kidbob

So I'm slightly out of the loop on this so far. The vote today is for acquittal or on the witness issue?

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
So I'm slightly out of the loop on this so far. The vote today is for acquittal or on the witness issue?
Could be both, if they vote for witnesses, the trial will be prolonged. If they otherwise vote for no witnesses, there could be some minor arguments but it practically means they already have everything they need to deliver judgements on the case and they can vote for acquittal/conviction.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I honestly think Murdoch is the biggest villain in the western world. Done untold damage.

kidbob

@Wednesday at Stoke thanks! @Grinner agreed unfortunately! Anything I've read about the process has been unbelievable but weirdly believable in Trump's America. I shudder to think what he'll do once it's been decided by the GOP that there should be no oversight of his actions.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
@Wednesday at Stoke thanks! @Grinner agreed unfortunately! Anything I've read about the process has been unbelievable but weirdly believable in Trump's America. I shudder to think what he'll do once it's been decided by the GOP that there should be no oversight of his actions.
He’s exhausted much of his functional capacity to feck things up via executive orders, and pulled back from new ‘boots on the ground’ wars in the Middle East.

The real worry is the inertia behind what his cronies have/can set in place regarding the environment and judiciary branch.

kidbob

He’s exhausted much of his functional capacity to feck things up via executive orders, and pulled back from new ‘boots on the ground’ wars in the Middle East.

The real worry is the inertia behind what his cronies have/can set in place regarding the environment and judiciary branch.
I hear you on that. The judiciary could have a long lasting effect on you guys and it directly affects the environment issue too. Honestly it seems like the only way to stop this is to vote him out. However his reign has really highlighted the morals of all the GOP and they won't all be voted out.

Revan

Assumptionman
I have that. I also have a lot in direct stocks.
Good for you. I don’t feel ready to put money directly in stocks (mostly cause it looks to me like easy money, and well, it never is). But more importantly, if 98% of active traders (who are professionals) don’t beat the market, I feel that I don’t have too much hope on doing so.

Fergies Gum

The consensus seems to be that Roberts will not intervene if it is a 50-50 split.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
The consensus seems to be that Roberts will not intervene if it is a 50-50 split.
Which is impossible, whatever choice he makes he will be intervening.

He's the deciding vote in impeachment trials as the Vice President is automatically recused.

If it's 50/50 and he "declines" then it remains at an impasse.

If his position is that he "declines to interfere with the Senate Majority Leader's plans" for the trial then he is casting his vote in favour of no witnesses.
If his position is that having witnesses and evidence is the usual protocol for a trial and he's "declining to break from that process" then he's casting his vote in favour of witnesses.

I think what the consensus is around him "intervening" is that if the Impeachment Managers stepped outside the voting protocol and asked Roberts personally to subpoena witnesses and evidence for the trial then he is unlikely to intervene and I think there's a good chance that we will get to find this out because they are likely to vote evidence and witnesses down at which point the House Managers have absolutely nothing to lose by asking him to maintain respect in the courts and constitution and hold a legitimate trial.

I think the key thing which may help the Democrats is that McConnell is holding a vote to do something outside of precedent. The automatic position for any trial is for witnesses and evidence to be submitted, so if it's a split vote then it would make the most sense for Roberts to say that there wasn't enough votes for witnesses and evidence to be dismissed and therefore the trial must go ahead in the same way as every other trial in the US.

Status
Not open for further replies.