The Trump Presidency | Biden Inaugurated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
Just think how the fecker will behave if wins a second term, emboldened by another win and not having to care about getting re-elected.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
They're both like settees with coconuts on top.

Oldyella

i feel confident he will lose the election. If he wins, any tiny bit of hope for that country is gone.
They will break every rule they can to win a 2and term, and his base would support him no matter what, I dont think it's clear cut he will lose.

GiddyUp

I hope you are right I really do but I can't help but think he is going to win again. I sincerely hope I'm wrong.
He has every chance because this is Biden we are talking about. But in all honesty, any functioning adult that votes for Trump this time round is a dick.

edcunited1878

They will break every rule they can to win a 2and term, and his base would support him no matter what, I dont think it's clear cut he will lose.
There are many local, state, and federal officials up for election as well. This always gets drowned out. These positions are just as important when looking for change.

Suv666

These riots will probably hurt Biden's ratings. Most people dont want violence and Trumps "I'll crush the protestors" stance will strike a chord with many moderates as well. It'll be a different issue if the army rolls in though.
Cant the states deny military deployment in their territory?

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
These riots will probably hurt Biden's ratings. Most people dont want violence and Trumps "I'll crush the protestors" stance will strike a chord with many moderates as well. It'll be a different issue if the army rolls in though.
Cant the states deny military deployment in their territory?
Believe they have to request it, which is why he keeps tweeting "call in the national guard". He's a glorified influencer.

American posters, please correct me but the US armed forces are not allowed to operate domestically, hence the use of the National Guard...is that right?

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Believe they have to request it, which is why he keeps tweeting "call in the national guard". He's a glorified influencer.

American posters, please correct me but the US armed forces are not allowed to operate domestically, hence the use of the National Guard...is that right?
There is precedent for legally invoking the Insurrection Act to activate the military without state governor approval, notably when the desegregation of schools was enforced.

State governors should in some cases activate their National Guard to aid law enforcement, as that would be preferable to Donnie taking credit for ‘winning’ the protests. He doesn’t need any more power.

Edit: https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/01/politics/insurrection-act-trump-protesters/index.html

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea

It turns out the use of the military on US soil isn’t nearly as difficult as it’s made out to be, the wording of the act that allows it is really vague. There is however a SCOTUS precedent which said that power should lie with congress not the executive (which seems to now be being ignored).

Strangely with the National Guard it turns out there’s three different ways it can be activated. A governor can do it themselves but then the state pays the costs, the Federal government can do it but then they pay all the costs, or the governor can request the Federal government activate it for them, in which case the Feds pay the bills but the governor controls them. It’s all very odd really. I’m kind of amazed the US allows the executive to activate individual National Guards at all.

SteveJ

Scout
I still find it hard to believe that this disgraceful, fascistic thing actually happened:

'Christian leaders were teargassed along with protesters and journalists. Some were shot with rubber bullets and punched. Trump walked & gave the thumbs up, set to triumphal music.'

SteveJ

Scout
*through gritted teeth*

"Smile...whaddra hell d'ya frink I'm paying ya for?"
"Fruck you, Donguld."

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
It turns out the use of the military on US soil isn’t nearly as difficult as it’s made out to be, the wording of the act that allows it is really vague. There is however a SCOTUS precedent which said that power should lie with congress not the executive (which seems to now be being ignored).

Strangely with the National Guard it turns out there’s three different ways it can be activated. A governor can do it themselves but then the state pays the costs, the Federal government can do it but then they pay all the costs, or the governor can request the Federal government activate it for them, in which case the Feds pay the bills but the governor controls them. It’s all very odd really. I’m kind of amazed the US allows the executive to activate individual National Guards at all.
Cheers. Feds footing the bill explains why he's not taking any action, then.

SteveJ

Scout
"Smile, or you'll go back in the box."
"But I'm busy pulling the nylon that makes you smile..."

JMack1234

Not one face mask amongst the group. Very little social distancing. You’d think at least one person would have a little bit of common sense
Common sense sadly isn't very common.

Look at the protest in London, hardly any social distancing happening there.

Red Stone

that giant fecking flag behind pelosi as well, the upper echelons of the democratic party are outrageously out of touch
Yeah, I'm starting to understand why most people aren't arsed with voting over there when those are the two options.

SteveJ

Scout
"Take those ridiculous glasses off."
"I can't - that's my skin."
"Oh. Sorry, Don."

SirAF

Ageist
Yeah, I'm starting to understand why most people aren't arsed with voting over there when those are the two options.
That's not an excuse in November when Trump is on the ballot for a second term. Give him another four years and there might not be much left to salvage.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
That's not an excuse in November when Trump is on the ballot for a second term. Give him another four years and there might not be much left to salvage.
Second term Trump would be the real "Trump with no leash" term. Misappropriation of funds for the wall and a big Trump statue, zero oversight for anything, all his family in high ranking advisory positions, voter suppression, car boot sales on the White House lawn, a Trump Tower in DC that's an inch taller than the Washington Monument. And that's the least scary shit. There would be a war with Mexico and giant mechs in Tijuana, insider trading that makes his family billions in government contracts and a complete shutdown of any dissenting voices online with what would ultimately be a police state. And that's only the mid-level scary shit.

SteveJ

Scout
Second term Trump would be the real "Trump with no leash" term. Misappropriation of funds for the wall and a big Trump statue, zero oversight for anything, all his family in high ranking advisory positions, voter suppression, car boot sales on the White House lawn, a Trump Tower in DC that's an inch taller than the Washington Monument. And that's the least scary shit. There would be a war with Mexico and giant mechs in Tijuana, insider trading that makes his family billions in government contracts and a complete shutdown of any dissenting voices online with what would ultimately be a police state. And that's only the mid-level scary shit.
So no change then?

Status
Not open for further replies.