The Trump Presidency | Biden Inaugurated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Good to know

I would wager that at some point over the coming weeks we hear that he tried to do it
This is why it would probably never work. Beyond the fact that Trump is generally (and oddly) squeamish about military action.

The Firestarter

This is why it would probably never work. Beyond the fact that Trump is generally (and oddly) squeamish about military action.

I dont see listed the confirmation step needed from the sec def or any similar party. Otherwise it is mostly as I expected, and the predicament the officers receiving the order have is quite significant. Legally they can't refuse. As the tweet posters notes, they have to break the law.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Who knows who wrote him that speech, but that was powerful. Brilliant delivery as well.

Still, the question remains, did they really need 5 people to die in the U.S. Capitol to finally see what Trump has been doing for the past 6 years or so? (I'm not sure exactly when did he began his campaigning). "Some people from my party won't get into the book" etc.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I dont see listed the confirmation step needed from the sec def or any similar party. Otherwise it is mostly as I expected, and the predicament the officers receiving the order have is quite significant. Legally they can't refuse. As the tweet posters notes, they have to break the law.
The level of competence and attention to detail required is simply too much for Trump. Beyond that, he's still a rational actor concerned with self-preservation after he leaves the WH.

The Firestarter

The level of competence and attention to detail required is simply too much for Trump. Beyond that, he's still a rational actor concerned with self-preservation after he leaves the WH.
He is "rational" until he completely snaps. If you think that is unlikely , fair enough, but in a situation when the losses keep piling up, the idea of him suffering some form of breakdown is not that far fetched imo.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
He is "rational" until he completely snaps. If you think that is unlikely , fair enough, but in a situation when the losses keep piling up, the idea of him suffering some form of breakdown is not that far fetched imo.
He's already snapped once he learned he lost and his response was to deny it, litigate, and create an alternate reality narrative to keep his supporters from abandoning ship. Ultimately, he's incentivized to not do anything that will compound what he's already done, which he thinks he can litigate his way out of after he leaves office. If he were to start a war, he would squander all of that.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Who knows who wrote him that speech, but that was powerful. Brilliant delivery as well.

Still, the question remains, did they really need 5 people to die in the U.S. Capitol to finally see what Trump has been doing for the past 6 years or so? (I'm not sure exactly when did he began his campaigning). "Some people from my party won't get into the book" etc.
Iirc, he has been critical of Trump from the start, before he was even nominated.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona

He strongly always openly and strongly criticized Trump from the beginning

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Iirc, he has been critical of Trump from the start, before he was even nominated.
He strongly always openly and strongly criticized Trump from the beginning
Fair enough — but it was a comment not directly about him, but about the whole Republican establishment. He just happened to make the most inspiring speech.

decorativeed

Indeed it is. It's stunning and always a joy to watch the pros play it, especially in a major like The Open.

To be fair to him, Trump does own some breautiful courses. Doral is gorgeous as is Doonbeg in Ireland.

Hopefully he is forced to sell them. Especially Turnberry where he pissed the locals off and forced some of the oldest resident families out of their homes. The UK documentary about that was brutal. Yet more historical proof of what an utterly despicable cnut he is.
My dad is a golfer and he won a trip to Turnberry for a couple of rounds and overnight stay. I told him to steal as many towels, bathrobes and slippers as possible from the bastards.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Plus he's supposed to be a billionaire who can afford a million a year in travel in his tawdry 727, his own security people etc. I can see some support for this among Republicans in the Senate since a number of them want to run in 24 and would love to see him out of the way.
Im not sure I can see enough to make it 2/3rd though:

Assuming all dems vote against thats 50... they need 17 Republicans to vote with them and i can see a few doing so because the believe trump is a danger ... and perhaps a couple more who like you say wouldnt want him running against them in 2024 but Im not sure I can see the numbers needed

Gut feel there is a vote to impeach in the house but it goes no further

Revan

Assumptionman
Im not sure I can see enough to make it 2/3rd though:

Assuming all dems vote against thats 50... they need 17 Republicans to vote with them and i can see a few doing so because the believe trump is a danger ... and perhaps a couple more who like you say wouldnt want him running against them in 2024 but Im not sure I can see the numbers needed

Gut feel there is a vote to impeach in the house but it goes no further
Yup. I guess Murkowski, Toomey, Romney and Collins would likely vote to remove him. But after that, it is hard to find another 13 GOP senators who would vote for it.

Unless of course, McConnell has decided that Trump now only harms the party. In which case, I think it becomes quite easy, and then Trump gets removed followed by the Senate passing a resolution that he cannot hold an office ever again. But considering that this will happen after Trump is already out of office, it is hard to see how this is going to proceed (and even if it is constitutional on the first place, considering that there is nothing about the removal of an ex-president).

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Yup. I guess Murkowski, Toomey, Romney and Collins would likely vote to remove him. But after that, it is hard to find another 13 GOP senators who would vote for it.

Unless of course, McConnell has decided that Trump now only harms the party. In which case, I think it becomes quite easy, and then Trump gets removed followed by the Senate passing a resolution that he cannot hold an office ever again. But considering that this will happen after Trump is already out of office, it is hard to see how this is going to proceed (and even if it is constitutional on the first place, considering that there is nothing about the removal of an ex-president).
plus Id guess it will come in the middle of Mcconnell being as obstructive as possible ref appointments etc and generally just not wanting to side with the dems on anything

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
But repubs would still have to stand up in the Congress and make the claim for why they won't vote to impeach. That would mean trying to justify what Trump did and I'm not sure how they would do that. They are caught between a rock and a hard place on this one and Pelosi and Schumer are loving it.

nimic

something nice
Scout
But repubs would still have to stand up in the Congress and make the claim for why they won't vote to impeach. That would mean trying to justify what Trump did and I'm not sure how they would do that. They are caught between a rock and a hard place on this one and Pelosi and Schumer are loving it.
Yep, there's no bad outcome for the Democrats as I see it. Either way it'll exacerbate the coming GOP civil war.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
I think they stand up and say its disgusting that at a time when the american people need their representatives coming together and working to defeat coronavirus (or china virus depending how much of a cnut they are) that the democrats are wasting time on this and they are voting to dismiss the charges so they can get on with governing - pretty easy one to bat away, keep the base onside and still not have to tie yourself to a sinking trump

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Why can’t Trump go to the White House no more? Because it’s for Biden.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Took a look at Fox yesterday, and establishment Cons seem to have found their formula: distancing themselves from riots & terrorism, but decrying any meaningful response as a partisan hit job by Dems/MSM/Big Tech. Would surprise me if the GOP mainstream didn't reject impeachment because 'unity and healing' is now needed instead of 'divisiveness', but I'm just guessing.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
If you think that enough Republicans would go along with the Democrats calls for decisive action against Trump then you can’t really have been watching at all over the last 4 years.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Fecking hell I just found out Kevin Sorbo is a Qanon loon. My childhood is fecking ruined.

Feck off 2020, wait I mean, feck.

Infra-red

Fecking hell I just found out Kevin Sorbo is a Qanon loon. My childhood is fecking ruined.

Feck off 2020, wait I mean, feck.
As is Dean Cain, seemingly. Hercules and Superman teaming up to fight for the forces of (right-wing) darkness! We're doomed!

Status
Not open for further replies.