Status
Not open for further replies.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
No.

I'm not suggesting that the NYT and other liberal outlets haven't, in carefully measured tones, more in sorrow than in anger, sometimes diverged from Obama and his administration. But comparing his treatment with his conservative predecessors, the difference speaks for itself.

The media is often unable to restrain itself from suggesting that a Republican occupant of the White House is actually evil.
The media is on record saying that there is a difference between McCain in 2008 or Romney in 2012 taking the White House, and Trump in 2016. Their treatment of Trump is not based on party, not when a record number of media publications in red states broke with tradition and did not endorse the Republican candidate.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
It wouldn't surprise me at all if he turns out to be a good president.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
The DNC will have learned nothing if they appoint Keith Ellison.

He is in the Nation of Islam for god's sake.

:lol:
Well no, he's not.

And what do you mean "learned nothing"? That they need to bash muslims more?

Garethw

That would shock the shit out of me... between him and the clowns he surrounds himself with, America is in for a rough ride.
It's obviously not the result that any of us wanted, but I honestly don't think he'll be any where near as bad as is being speculated.

ravi2

It's obviously not the result that any of us wanted, but I honestly don't think he'll be any where near as bad as is being speculated.

His proposals & policies do little or nothing for the typical American not to mention he never really wanted the job
Personally I think he will have to do a lot to be as bad as Bush II but anything is possible.

His cabinet will be made up of Gingrich, Palin, Christie, Carson, Pence and Ted Cruz. I'm not sure he could have picked worse if he tried.

Fingeredmouse

Why not? What will reign him in? The Republican party rebelling against him in Congress? The moderate, well meaning and restrained individuals he's appointing around him?

Garethw

Why not? What will reign him in? The Republican party rebelling against him in Congress? The moderate, well meaning and restrained individuals he's appointing around him?
I just think that most of the pre election talk was brovado. Bullshit like building a $40 billion wall between the US and Mexico was just that, bullshit.

Fingeredmouse

I just think that most of the pre election talk was brovado. Bullshit like building a $40 billion wall between the US and Mexico was just that, bullshit.
Yes, I agree. I'm not sure he meant very much of anything he said...in fact, ever in his life. However, he has now surrounded himself with a terrifying group of ideologues who will not hesitate to implement far more practically possible dreadful policies, with only the hope of a Republican controlled congress blocking legislation to mitigate them.

Ubik

He swore in on the Koran and there is substantial evidence he was a member of the NOI.

Dems will be crushed with him as DNC leader.

There is no place for advocates of Sharia Law in America.
Where has he called for the implementation of Sharia?

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He swore in on the Koran and there is substantial evidence he was a member of the NOI.

Dems will be crushed with him as DNC leader.

There is no place for advocates of Sharia Law in America.
Is it wrong to do that in the 'land of the free'?

Also, please tell where he has advocated introducing Sharia Law in America.

Revan

Assumptionman
Is it wrong to do that in the 'land of the free'?

Also, please tell where he has advocated introducing Sharia Law in America.
Of course is not wrong, but US is still a very Christian country, with a lot of people there hating Islam.

In an ideal world, this would have been okay, but in our world, I see Democrats making suicide if they appoint him as their leader, or he wins the next Democrat primaries. We saw the propaganda against Obama who wasn't even Muslim, now you can only imagine what will happen to someone who converted to Islam.

Ubik

Of course is not wrong, but US is still a very Christian country, with a lot of people there hating Islam.

In an ideal world, this would have been okay, but in our world, I see Democrats making suicide if they appoint him as their leader, or he wins the next Democrat primaries. We saw the propaganda against Obama who wasn't even Muslim, now you can only imagine what will happen to someone who converted to Islam.
This is for chief of the DNC, which is basically an organisational and fundraising role, he's not going to be a candidate for President. If him being a muslim can be an impediment to that then we may as well give up.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
This is for chief of the DNC, which is basically an organisational and fundraising role, he's not going to be a candidate for President. If him being a muslim can be an impediment to that then we may as well give up.
I am almost there.

MTF

Even if we assume that the most extreme proposals were just bluffs, it still leaves you with someone who doesn't seem a good choice for the job. The same way Obama isn't currently a good pick for CEO of a large company.

I do believe that intelligence translates (although I don't believe Trump is intelligent), but time and application is necessary to gain actual expertise. Trump has little to none of those in actual governing.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Well no, he's not.

And what do you mean "learned nothing"? That they need to bash muslims more?
TBH I think this is enough to doom him as a nationwide candidate, as DNC chair it would take the ful might of the right-wing spin macine to make his past a liability for Dems: and it looks like they're already underway (there's this and a crudely modified audio too)

Ellison’s 2006 run for his seat was plunged into controversy after the conservative PowerLineBlog.com found he had once identified with Farrakhan’s Nation of Islam and in 1998 was referring to himself as Keith X Ellison and Keith Ellison-Muhammed.

The Washington Post reported that Ellison had defended Farrakhan against accusations of anti-Semitism in 1989 and in 1990 had called affirmative action a "sneaky" form of compensation for slavery, calling instead for reparations.

When the controversy erupted in 2006, Ellison acknowledged he had worked with the group, but only for 18 months to help organize Farrakhan's 1995 Million Man March. He distanced himself from both Farrakhan and the Nation of Islam, and said he hadn’t scruitinized the group's anti-Semitic positions appropriately.

"They were and are anti-Semitic, and I should have come to that conclusion earlier than I did," he said.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
You've got to love the right and their consistent belief in religious freedom.

At the time, Virginia Congressman Virgil Goode (R), who endorsed Trump in 2015, wrote a letter to his constituents claiming that “if American citizens don’t wake up and adopt the Virgil Goode position on immigration there will likely be many more Muslims elected to office and demanding the use of the Quran.” (Goode endorsed Trump for President in Breitbart last year).

Ellison ultimately used a Quran owned by Thomas Jefferson. President Obama cited his swearing in an example of America’s religious tolerance in a 2009 speech in Cairo.

When the controversy first erupted in 2006, Ellison denied that he was ever a member of the Nation of Islam. He clarified that, while he had never joined the group, he had organized a Minnesota delegation to the 1995 Million Man March, at which the Nation’s leader Farrakhan spoke.

Ellison also apologized at the time for some positive articles he had written as a student in the late 1980s about Farrakhan, saying he hadn’t “adequately scrutinized the positions” of the movement’s leaders. He said then that he believed “they were and are anti-Semitic.”

Ubik

TBH I think this is enough to doom him as a nationwide candidate, as DNC chair it would take the ful might of the right-wing spin macine to make his past a liability for Dems: and it looks like they're already underway (there's this and a crudely modified audio too)
They're certainly trying, but if the mainstream Dems treat it with the contempt it deserves then you'd like to think it won't gain a foothold.

Then again, would like to think a lot of things that have been proven inaccurate as of late...

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
You've got to love the right and their consistent belief in religious freedom.
One of the knuckle draggers at a Drumpf rally spoke about the importance of religious freedom, but he followed that up by making it clear that Islam isn't a proper religion.

Status
Not open for further replies.