The Trump Presidency | Biden Inaugurated

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManUtd1999

I hope he is dumped tomorrow but there are things happening which indicate he will do 2 terms.
I was one of the few who said he would win before the election, nothing I am seeing suggests he wont win a second term, even this far from the next elections. US job creation numbers have hit a high within a short space of him being elected and Wall street is excited about the high chance the Fed is going to increase interest rates. The big problem is the US is a highly nationalistic country and Trump will retain votes because it appears he is growing employment numbers and the business community is prospering. The blue collar workers will believe that Trump has delivered on promises and the business community will enjoy the fact their side of things has the appearance of prospering. Trumps line about looking out for Pittsburg and not Paris will resonate with those who voted for him and for those who are easily manipulated by nationalistic/patriotic propaganda.
Its a long way out but if we view things from the eyes of those who voted for them and the undecided in the areas where elections are truely won he is ticking boxes. I cant remember which President said it, think it was Clinton but the phrase " Its the economy stupid" is a frighteningly simple vote winner.
From today's job report:
"Total nonfarm payroll employment increased by 138,000 in May, and the unemployment rate was little changed at 4.3 percent, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reported today. Job gains occurred in health care and mining."

"The change in total nonfarm payroll employment for March was revised down from +79,000 to +50,000, and the change for April was revised down from +211,000 to +174,000. With these revisions, employment gains in March and April combined were 66,000 less than previously reported. Monthly revisions result from additional reports received from businesses and government agencies since the last published estimates and from the recalculation of seasonal factors. Over the past 3 months, job gains have averaged 121,000 per month."

https://www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.nr0.htm

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
From today's job report:
"Total nonfarm payroll employment increased by 138,000 in May, and the unemployment rate was little changed at 4.3 percent, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reported today. Job gains occurred in health care and mining."

"The change in total nonfarm payroll employment for March was revised down from +79,000 to +50,000, and the change for April was revised down from +211,000 to +174,000. With these revisions, employment gains in March and April combined were 66,000 less than previously reported. Monthly revisions result from additional reports received from businesses and government agencies since the last published estimates and from the recalculation of seasonal factors. Over the past 3 months, job gains have averaged 121,000 per month."

https://www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.nr0.htm
Cheers
The main point for me however is what those who voted for him believe and those who were on the fence believe and thats the scary bit. What they are fed and how its interpreted. Right now they will be seeing and using these things as justification. Add in the clever Pittsburgh not Paris line to the nationalistic/patriotic angle and there are things to worry about. The big problem i see is that for all of us who are opposed to him and dislike him we end up looking for and reading information which affirms our beliefs but we dont go looking for information which those who support him look to.
I met him 20 years ago, photographed him for a magazine, I cant believe he made it to become President, i thought he was the biggest feckwit i had ever met.

ManUtd1999

Cheers
The main point for me however is what those who voted for him believe and those who were on the fence believe and thats the scary bit. What they are fed and how its interpreted. Right now they will be seeing and using these things as justification. Add in the clever Pittsburgh not Paris line to the nationalistic/patriotic angle and there are things to worry about. The big problem i see is that for all of us who are opposed to him and dislike him we end up looking for and reading information which affirms our beliefs but we dont go looking for information which those who support him look to.
I met him 20 years ago, photographed him for a magazine, I cant believe he made it to become President, i thought he was the biggest feckwit i had ever met.
I agree about most (or a big part) of his voters. They are unreal.

My point is that so far we haven't seen anything spectacular in the labor market, and today's report is all bad news: 138k vs. 185k or so expected, downward revisions in March and April, a decline in the labor force participation rate, etc. You can't fault Trump yet, but if this continues, he will be in deep troubles. All you need is 2% or so in Wisconsin, Michigan and Pennsylvania to change their minds.

BTW, I found the participation rate numbers interesting. The last 4 months: 63.0%, 63.0%, 62.9%, 62.7%. That indicates no real belief that the job market will boom anytime soon.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
What??? Many moons ago I used to argue with LABob about politics but I didn't know shit then. Granted, I was your typical GOP supporter in those days. I've done nothing but smash the GOP on this forum for the past six or seven years.

Should add I voted for Obama in 2012 and Clinton in 2016, and didn't vote in 2008.
Apaloogies

Stack

I agree about most (or a big part) of his voters. They are unreal.

My point is that so far we haven't seen anything spectacular in the labor market, and today's report is all bad news: 138k vs. 185k or so expected, downward revisions in March and April, a decline in the labor force participation rate, etc. You can't fault Trump yet, but if this continues, he will be in deep troubles. All you need is 2% or so in Wisconsin, Michigan and Pennsylvania to change their minds.

BTW, I found the participation rate numbers interesting. The last 4 months: 63.0%, 63.0%, 62.9%, 62.7%. That indicates no real belief that the job market will boom anytime soon.
Yeah we havent seen anything hugely spectacular but you can imagine the upcoming spin on whats been happening and those who voted for him (btw some of those who voted for him dont truely support him) and the undecided will lap up the spin because it justifies their votes.

Kristjan

Retired Dictator

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Not suprising to me. Been clear that anything coming out relating to Kushner or Bannon was being leaked by them and their allies in the WH.
Can only be good, hopefully they continue sniping at each other from the inside and divide the administration etc.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
No, I don't realize that. Nuclear power has always been the cleanest, safest, least environmentally damaging way to generate electricity. Over 60 years, old plants or new, its record is incomparable.

If a new Dragon hadn't arisen for the Don Quixotes of the left to fight, they'd still be wearing their rusty scraps of unreason and righteousness, happily going into battle against the old, nuclear Windmill.
Mate, you did have Chernobyl and 3 mile island as examples of how it can go catastrophically wrong.
....aaaaaaaand, no response.

Textbook hit and run. Absolutely standard tactics in discussions like this.

The change in opinions on nuclear power isn't political at all. It's a combination of ever-improving technology and a realisation that it is the lesser of two evils. In the absence of the more recent overwhelming evidence of global warming it was entirely reasonable to be cautious about a new technology, with poorly understood long-term consequences.

As we get more and more data on the relative risks to the environment of various approaches to generating energy it stands to reason that opinions may change. That's the way science works. Which has feck all to do with the politics of left vs right.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
....aaaaaaaand, no response.

Textbook hit and run. Absolutely standard tactics in discussions like this.

The change in opinions on nuclear power isn't political at all. It's a combination of ever-improving technology and a realisation that it is the lesser of two evils. In the absence of the more recent overwhelming evidence of global warming it was entirely reasonable to be cautious about a new technology, with poorly understood long-term consequences.

As we get more and more data on the relative risks to the environment of various approaches to generating energy it stands to reason that opinions may change. That's the way science works. Which has feck all to do with the politics of left vs right.
It's not like string of oil disasters put us off from fossil fuels.

Fossil fuels are limited and Green tech is not ready to provide for current far less future requirements. Nuclear energy is the near future, maybe the lesser of the evils...but still the only better alternative to current.

Stack

It's not like string of oil disasters put us off from fossil fuels.

Fossil fuels are limited and Green tech is not ready to provide for current far less future requirements. Nuclear energy is the near future, maybe the lesser of the evils...but still the only better alternative to current.
Not having a go at you, just making a minor point. Green tech is something which encompasses a wide range of options. Its not just the solar/wind/geothermal etc etc options but also insulation/building techniques and even heading towards pedal power etc. Lots of options that combined now have a significant impact on energy supply. There is no single magic power source to solve the problems, its a combination of power sources and energy usage methods that will solve the problems. I think just recently Solar energy became the cheapest energy source available and the Brits only a month ago for the first time had powered their countries without any coal powered electricity being used. I dont see Nuclear energy as being a better alternative to the current when we see the current becoming a combination of many sources.

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout

I'm at work so have little time to read through and check it, but CAN Trump do this? And if he did that's just as bad as admitting guilt, like, you know, if he fired the man at the head of the organisation entrusted with investigating him....

Crossie

Supports
vibrant attacking football
So do I. Should we give him his own thread to celebrate what a badass he is ?
Like in 'Macron, badass I' and 'Macron, badass II' - say no to mega-threads? :wenger:

Raoul

Admin
Staff

I'm at work so have little time to read through and check it, but CAN Trump do this? And if he did that's just as bad as admitting guilt, like, you know, if he fired the man at the head of the organisation entrusted with investigating him....
He could, but in this case - as the article states - he would cause a bigger shitstorm by attempting to squash it than he would be allowing Comey to testify and then trashing Comey on Twitter immediately after.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Not having a go at you, just making a minor point. Green tech is something which encompasses a wide range of options. Its not just the solar/wind/geothermal etc etc options but also insulation/building techniques and even heading towards pedal power etc. Lots of options that combined now have a significant impact on energy supply. There is no single magic power source to solve the problems, its a combination of power sources and energy usage methods that will solve the problems. I think just recently Solar energy became the cheapest energy source available and the Brits only a month ago for the first time had powered their countries without any coal powered electricity being used. I dont see Nuclear energy as being a better alternative to the current when we see the current becoming a combination of many sources.
We're probably derailing this thread, but still it's worth discussing.

For me it's a progression where fossil fuels are the worst, nuclear power somewhere in the middle and renewable energy as the best source of energy. At this point of time, eliminating fossil fuel is of paramount importance since it has the worst impact to the environment.

There's been this stigma around nuclear power driven by weaponization/proliferation and accidents like Chernobyl/Fukushima. People don't realize that Chernobyl happened because the safety features were turned off in a simulation exercise which compounded the design flaws in the reactor. I believe we've come bit far down to make this far more safer. Not just the reactors, but moving to Thorium based sources (rather than Uranium) has made this more efficient generating far lesser nuclear wastes. It still is a powerful tool, provided it is used wisely.

The world is not yet geared for green tech. Most cars are run on fossil fuels. In 3rd world countries machinery and even household generators etc depend on fossil fuels. Many power plants are thermal/coal based. I don't think the world is yet geared up both in production capacity nor supporting infrastructure to eliminate fossil fuels. Nuclear power provides the bridge where we can at least eliminate Thermal power plants and reduce the consumption of fossil fuels drastically. The gradual increase in renewable power technology and usage will bridge the remaining gap.

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
He could, but in this case - as the article states - he would cause a bigger shitstorm by attempting to squash it than he would be allowing Comey to testify and then trashing Comey on Twitter immediately after.
Exactly as I thought, but just wondering the legality of Trump being able to actually do it. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest, I mean, he did fire the man in the first place. The bar is set to a completely different standard when it comes to this idiot. There is no limit to how low he can or will go. Like John Oliver said nearly a year ago... "If you look up there, right up there, way, way way up there, way further than that, you will just be able to see the bottom of the barrel, and we have sunk further than imaginable"

And he said that months ago. We have plumbed unfathomable depths since then.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I think we are beginning to connect the dots now.

The key thing will be this newly reported secret meeting between Trump, Sessions, Kushner, and Kisliak at the Mayflower Hotel.

Another strand that I suspect we'll see more of is whether Farage acted as an intermediary between the Trump campaign, Assange, and Russian Intelligence. We already know that Putin likes to use intermediaries in order to deny involvement and Farage seems to have been at the center of something or the other. Would love to see him get called in to testify.

Status
Not open for further replies.