The Trump Presidency | Biden Inaugurated

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/10/business/media/10silver.html

"Mr. Silver had predicted the popular vote within one percentage point, predicted 49 of 50 states’ results correctly, and predicted all of the resolved Senate races correctly...."
:lol: That's just a journalist using the wrong vocabulary. If you ever listen to Silver, he's always really clear he's not making a prediction. It's like his mantra.

His probabilistic models from previous elections are still online if you don't believe me and want to check them out.

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
Given that Donald "I know the tax code better than anyone" Trump doesn't know what a blind trust is I think it's quite obvious he'll have his kids running it and to hell with the conflicts.
Oh I agree completely, but as I said in my last post, Donald Jr thinks that's ok too, but it's completely not, and I think it could actually lead to serious trouble for him. Could that lead to him being impeached?

Conrad

Silver has in the past been known to actually pick states (49/50 and 50/50 in the past two cycles), so there was an expectation that despite his more recent probabilistic model, that he would get it right as he did in the past.
Ok, I am aware of that but this years race was characterized by a lot of uncertainty due to undecideds and high third party support so they were bound to do worse. Also, again doing worse or getting it wrong does not mean that it's not real science or even inherently flawed nor does getting it right mean that the history professors method is anything other than pseudoscience. I can make a one question model which would have accurately predicted this race while also characterising every president ever, though it would give a 50:50 prediction for all previous race. Is the candidate a man?

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Oh I agree completely, but as I said in my last post, Donald Jr thinks that's ok too, but it's completely not, and I think it could actually lead to serious trouble for him. Could that lead to him being impeached?
Well I'd say hopefully, but then Pence

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Ok, I am aware of that but this years race was characterized by a lot of uncertainty due to undecideds and high third party support so they were bound to do worse. Also, again doing worse or getting it wrong does not mean that it's not real science or even inherently flawed nor does getting it right mean that the history professors method is anything other than pseudoscience. I can make a one question model which would have accurately predicted this race while also characterising every president ever, though it would give a 50:50 prediction for all previous race. Is the candidate a man?
The biggest problem with Silver and his contemporaries is that in the U.S., ever four years more and more people vote early and there is a way to approximate how many people voted for each party, and deductively, the candidate of a party. None of the models are able to factor that sort of thing despite the fact that up to 40% of Americans vote before the actual voting day. This can severely mess with the accuracy of a probabilistic model. And that's before we even get to things like voters who are shy or not willing to express their true intentions for fear of being ostracized etc. Silver and his pals have a lot of work to do before the next cycle.

langster

Scout
Its not illegal but clearly a conflict of interest. At least that is what was discussed on a program.
Thanks mate, I completely understand the blind trust side, just not so much the legalities or laws/rules of taking office as President and conflicts of interest and what can be done about it if the rules are ignored or breached?

MTF

:lol: That's just a journalist using the wrong vocabulary. If you ever listen to Silver, he's always really clear he's not making a prediction. It's like his mantra.

His probabilistic models from previous elections are still online if you don't believe me and want to check them out.
Not actually going into the models because on the move, but theoretically the best he can claim is that the median of his state estimates were right. And I'll venture the journalist just means that his medians fell on the right side of Blue/Red, not that they even hit the final tally.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
Thanks mate, I completely understand the blind trust side, just not so much the legalities or laws/rules of taking office as President and conflicts of interest and what can be done about it if the rules are ignored or breached?
He has got a huge headache with his complex business interests.

But I am concerned about people going gungho about impeaching Trump. Pence is 1,000 times worse.

langster

Scout
Well I'd say hopefully, but then Pence
Yeah, I hear you mate. No different to us here in the UK to be fair. Ending up with that witch May when we didn't vote for her. Feck me, what a state the world is in. only 2 years ago we had a coalition government with the Lib Dems doing a decent job of reigning the Conservatives in, we were in the EU and the USA had the greatest President of my lifetime. It was all looking so promising. :(

I would expect to see more stories like this as the press regain their mojo after being smacked down following the election results.
Me too, but what can actually be done about it though?

MTF

The biggest problem with Silver and his contemporaries is that in the U.S., ever four years more and more people vote early and there is a way to approximate how many people voted for each party, and deductively, the candidate of a party. None of the models are able to factor that sort of thing despite the fact that up to 40% of Americans vote before the actual voting day. This can severely mess with the accuracy of a probabilistic model. And that's before we even get to things like voters who are shy or not willing to express their true intentions for fear of being ostracized etc. Silver and his pals have a lot of work to do before the next cycle.
I don't see how he could possibly do so without access to the actual early votes.

MikeUpNorth

The polls should factor in early voting directly in the questioning of voters. They should also try to tease out shy or hard to contact voters. These are what polls are there to do. Silver isn't a pollster.

You do realise that sometimes (quite often actually), the underdog does win. That doesn't mean they were actually the favourite all along.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I have a full appreciation for stats, probabilities, and simulations. My overarching point is that literally every probabilistic model got it wrong, and were shown up by a qualitative punt from some random history professor.
What do you mean by a probabilistic model getting it wrong?

langster

Scout
He has got a huge headache with his complex business interests.

But I am concerned about people going gungho about impeaching Trump. Pence is 1,000 times worse.
I agree mate. :( Just have to suck it up and take it and hope you guys vote well in 2 years time. Hope that the Supreme Court doesn't lose anymore judges in that time either, and then hope that the Dems get their shit together and a decent candidate is put forward in 4 years time, all the while hoping the Supreme Leader doesn't cause WWIII in the meantime. :lol:

Red Dreams

Here in Minnesota for the first time we now have a Republican Senate and House. But Dayton is still Governor until 2018 thankfully.
I voted straight Democrat down ballot. But it shows a lot of people did not bother to vote or if they voted for Trump, they voted Republican.

MikeUpNorth

They were probably wrong.
How can you possibly know that though? Do you think any model which didn't show Trump as the favourite has to have been wrong? That just doesn't make any sense, at all.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
The polls should factor in early voting directly in the questioning of voters. They should also try to tease out shy or hard to contact voters. These are what polls are there to do. Silver isn't a pollster.

You do realise that sometimes (quite often actually), the underdog does win. That doesn't mean they were actually the favourite all along.
Nope. They track that sort of thing by actually counting ballots requested and turned in for each respective party. Very few polls go after people who have already voted. Its generally a random sample of anyone deemed a registered or likely voter.

Silva

In one of the podcasts 538 did in the run up to the election they said that early voters get put in the likely voter category in the final probabilities. So it's not like they're completely ignoring them.

MikeUpNorth

Nope. They track that sort of thing by actually counting ballots requested and turned in for each respective party. Very few polls go after people who have already voted. Its generally a random sample of anyone deemed a registered or likely voter.
Once early voting is open, most polls ask "Have you already voted, and if so who for?" as one of the first questions.

The early voting returns in themselves are not strong predictors of the outcome: http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/dont-read-too-much-into-early-voting/

Red Dreams

I agree mate. :( Just have to suck it up and take it and hope you guys vote well in 2 years time. Hope that the Supreme Court doesn't lose anymore judges in that time either, and then hope that the Dems get their shit together and a decent candidate is put forward in 4 years time, all the while hoping the Supreme Leader doesn't cause WWIII in the meantime. :lol:
At the national level, the Dems gained seats in both house and Senate. I suspect Trump who is also from NY may actually work better with Schumer. The GOP only has a razor thin margin. Surely they will fillibuster a crazy SC nominee. But it sounds like he has removed his original list of judges.

Uncertain times.

I am concerned but I think we will come out of all this alright.

Conrad

Early voting is a bit of an incomplete picture as far as I know. What gets released varies state by state with Nevada being really the only one that releases raw data of who has how many votes. I think your second point is more where the problem lies, as the early voting picture is very incomplete and didn't help the people who looked at it this year, with the difficulty of predicting what demographic is going to surge in what state and who you are not reaching with your polling. Though those are not really Silver's problems to fix.

Effectively it's a chaotic system, you can't always get it right.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I don't see how he could possibly do so without access to the actual early votes.
There has to be a way. If you followed Jon Ralston's twitter activity in Nevada, he was able to count/approximate the amount of turnout for each county during the early voting drives in the Clark County. That allowed him to approximate a significantly higher Latino turnout and thus deductively make a pretty accurate call that Hillary would be successful.

http://www.ktnv.com/news/ralston/the-nevada-early-voting-blog

MikeUpNorth

In one of the podcasts 538 did in the run up to the election they said that early voters get put in the likely voter category in the final probabilities. So it's not like they're completely ignoring them.
Yep, they're factored in to most polls.

Red Dreams

I heard this on MSNBC a couple of days before the elections. They said in early voting Hillary already was well ahead in Florida and was certain to win the state.

I wonder if all this optimism for her actually made people not turn up at the polls. And in turn made the Trump voters be even more determined to vote for their guy.

langster

Scout
At the national level, the Dems gained seats in both house and Senate. I suspect Trump who is also from NY may actually work better with Schumer. The GOP only has a razor thin margin. Surely they will fillibuster a crazy SC nominee. But it sounds like he has removed his original list of judges.

Uncertain times.

I am concerned but I think we will come out of all this alright.
I am liking your optimism mate. Seriously. I hope so, I worry more on a Global scale though, and my biggest worry at the moment is definitely the Climate Change issue and the Paris Agreement.

Red Dreams

I am liking your optimism mate. Seriously. I hope so, I worry more on a Global scale though, and my biggest worry at the moment is definitely the Climate Change issue and the Paris Agreement.
Our government can protect itself from its own Commander in Chief. Everyone is aware he has no experience. The business world certainly does not want a meltdown.

EDIT: The Climate change agreement is the biggest loser most likely.

Last edited:

Raoul

Admin
Staff
So in summary - if you run a probabilistic election web site and you can't incorporate probabilities of how 40% of the population voted early, then your probabilities are probably wrong.

MikeUpNorth

So in summary - if you run a probabilistic election web site and you can't incorporate probabilities of how 40% of the population voted early, then your probabilities are probably wrong.
You're just ignoring everything people are telling you now.

Early voters are included in polling samples. Reported early voting returns themselves are not a strong predictor of the outcome. The early voting was reported to look very good for Clinton across multiple states - this was not an indication that she would go on to win them. For example, all the media was saying Clinton was on track to win because of early voting in Florida: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/florida-early-vote-2016_us_58200106e4b0e80b02cae01c

It was bollocks.

Conrad

No. Early voting data is incomplete and only gives you part of the picture (http://www.realclearpolitics.com/ar...voting_a_poor_predictor_of_final_results.html) so there is no real reason poll based models should bend over backwards to shoehorn it in. Plenty of people did look at it this year and came to the conclusion Clinton had it in the bag. It's incomplete nature means you might as well be reading tea leaves, you'll just see what you want to. Also, your preferred model from the history professor does not include early voting nor any other data.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
No. Early voting data is incomplete and only gives you part of the picture (http://www.realclearpolitics.com/ar...voting_a_poor_predictor_of_final_results.html) so there is no real reason poll based models should bend over backwards to shoehorn it in. Plenty of people did look at it this year and came to the conclusion Clinton had it in the bag. It's incomplete nature means you might as well be reading tea leaves, you'll just see what you want to. Also, your preferred model from the history professor does not include early voting nor any other data.
Part of the picture is critical when constructing the picture. If for example Silver would've been able to incorporate the data Ralston researched in Nevada, the probabilities of a NV win would've soared. Ditto for other states.

MikeUpNorth

Part of the picture is critical when constructing the picture. If for example Silver would've been able to incorporate the data Ralston researched in Nevada, the probabilities of a NV win would've soared. Ditto for other states.
And it would have been wrong for the odds of a Clinton win in Nevada to soar given that in the end she only won the state by 2%. It was marginal, and could have swung on election day.

538 had a Clinton win in Nevada at about 60%. That seems about right - she was a marginal favourite.

Conrad

http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2016-election-forecast/nevada/ http://www.nytimes.com/elections/results/nevada

They already got Nevada "right" with the percentages predicted being pretty bang on. Look at the article, early voter data might tell you that early voter turnout is up for democrats but then you're in the position of trying to guess whether that is because, as you said, early voting is now more popular or if it signifies an actual increase THEN you have to guess whether this will be significant compared to election day turnout or if it will be replicated on election day. Basically it's not worth it.

Wouldn't necessarily improve their model. It's non-inclusion definitely doesn't make their model unscientific. Which also doesn't matter when it comes to judging the history professor's model completely unscientific.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
And it would have been wrong for the odds of a Clinton win in Nevada to soar given that in the end she only won the state by 2%. It was marginal, and could have swung on election day.

538 had a Clinton win in Nevada at about 60%. That seems about right - she was a marginal favourite.
Nevada's a little different as a heavy majority of people there vote early, and registration rates are predictive of results historically. Colorado is similar, though to a lesser extent. If 538 had been showing Trump as favourite there on election day then there would be cause to argue, as there was strong evidence that wasn't the case. But in the end, as they showed her narrowly up (which wasn't the case on the RCP average), as you say, you can't really pick fault.

On the whole polling shebangle, it's really hard to overstate how big a miss the upper midwest was. I don't think she ever trailed a poll in Wisconsin and it didn't look particularly close. "Shy Trump" isn't that good an explainer, either, as their Senate polling was also way off there and in Pennsylvania.

MikeUpNorth

Nevada's a little different as a heavy majority of people there vote early, and registration rates are predictive of results historically. Colorado is similar, though to a lesser extent. If 538 had been showing Trump as favourite there on election day then there would be cause to argue, as there was strong evidence that wasn't the case. But in the end, as they showed her narrowly up (which wasn't the case on the RCP average), as you say, you can't really pick fault.
I get what you're saying, but it really was close in Nevada. Put it this way, if just 1 in 75 voters had switched from Clinton to Trump, she would have lost. You can't go much beyond 60/40 odds in a situation like that I think, even if a big chunk are voting early.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
I get what you're saying, but it really was close in Nevada. Put it this way, if just 1 in 75 voters had switched from Clinton to Trump, she would have lost. You can't go much beyond 60/40 odds in a situation like that I think, even if a big chunk are voting early.
I agree, I think Ralston mentioned that Trump would have to win election day by 10 points or something which was unheard of, but as we saw elsewhere, unheard of was happening quite a lot in rural areas. She was up in the EV by similar levels as Obama '12 but the final result was 4% closer, higher than the national swing, so something along those lines must've happened.

Coverage of the next elections, both in the UK and the US, is going to be fairly odd with regards to forecasting what'll happen. Both conventional wisdom and data have taken a big hit.

Cal?

CR7 fan
you missed my point. You were saying if not for the EC more people will vote. All I am saying is lots of people simply do not vote.
I don't see how it can be argued. Of cos plenty of people don't vote anyway, but the EC is still a big factor why many people don't vote.

Status
Not open for further replies.