The Trump Presidency | Biden Inaugurated

Status
Not open for further replies.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Rush was from 1988, Newt wasn't influential until early Clinton era 92-94 and the Contract BS with Frank Luntz as his spin doctor. Without Rush you wouldn't have had a Newt. Sure Hannity is a bit replaceable but he's been the Fox mouthpiece of the last 20 years.

Its the media precursors that matter for Trump that changed the Overton window IMO not the legislators like Newt who didn't shift the window but rather rode the window via Luntz.

InfiniteBoredom

Newt brought in the legitimation of that kind of scorched earth politics onto the national stage. You can of course argue that when Rush happened it was only a matter of time until a politician seized on that movement for his own gain, but imo both the theorists and the practitioners are equally culpable for the current mess.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
I was reading up on the history of the conflict in Syria.
Obama fecked up here too, didn't he? Trump isn't the sole reason why Russia and Iran have a greater say in that region today.

Billy Blaggs

Flacco of the Blaggs tribe
I take the piss and laugh at myself and you all laugh at the persona that is Billy Blaggs.

In real life I'm a very serious person that hates this awful racist neo Nazi agenda.

How can anyone vote for this cnut. Unless you are really hateful to the utmost degree don't you have it inside of you to think there's people out there. With kids.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
This Turkey business sure distracted the world from impeachment. Would it be cynical of me to think Trump did it just for that?

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Obama fecked up here too, didn't he? Trump isn't the sole reason why Russia and Iran have a greater say in that region today.
I’d agree, Obama admin bears much greater responsibility there.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
This Turkey business sure distracted the world from impeachment. Would it be cynical of me to think Trump did it just for that?
He's not that smart. This isn't some chess game he is playing, he is impulsive. Probably forgot the US still had troops in Syria before Erdogan called him.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
'He has always been there for us...except when he hid in the bushes.'

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Trumpism won't end with Trump.
I think it'll depend how his reign of terror actually ends. If his tax returns reveal he's actually not very rich, and has been crooked as shit, and the Ukraine thing continues to crack open and leads to his impeachment there's a chance that a lot of his base turn on him. He's wildly unpredictable and can't take criticism of any kind, so there's a high likelihood of him lashing out at everyone around him, and there's only so much of that you can do before even the biggest cult followers start realizing that maybe their glorious leader is actually crazy as hell.

I'm sure there will be a hardcore who stick by him no matter what, but I think it'll be much smaller than it is now, and certainly won't be driving politics if he's kicked out.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
Obama's foreign policy was a disaster. He talked a lot of game in his Cairo speech but that was all for show when looking back on it.
I wouldn’t put anything past his administration so no it’s not too cynical.

Florida Man

I think it'll depend how his reign of terror actually ends. If his tax returns reveal he's actually not very rich, and has been crooked as shit, and the Ukraine thing continues to crack open and leads to his impeachment there's a chance that a lot of his base turn on him. He's wildly unpredictable and can't take criticism of any kind, so there's a high likelihood of him lashing out at everyone around him, and there's only so much of that you can do before even the biggest cult followers start realizing that maybe their glorious leader is actually crazy as hell.

I'm sure there will be a hardcore who stick by him no matter what, but I think it'll be much smaller than it is now, and certainly won't be driving politics if he's kicked out.
You could be right about the cult of Trump himself. But I’m referring to the idea of his attitude toward the country and the world. People who follow him say he says what we’re all thinking. Building walls, being arrogant to other countries, making America white, Christian fundamentalism, banning Muslims, banning brown immigrants, and influencing right wing militias to overtake a democratic government goes far beyond Trump. He happened to be in the right place at the right time to fast track this thinking into the open view.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
You could be right about the cult of Trump himself. But I’m referring to the idea of his attitude toward the country and the world. People who follow him say he says what we’re all thinking. Building walls, being arrogant to other countries, making America white, Christian fundamentalism, banning Muslims, banning brown immigrants, and influencing right wing militias to overtake a democratic government goes far beyond Trump. He happened to be in the right place at the right time to fast track this thinking into the open view.
Yes but those kinds of views usually don't hold up for long once the real world consequences become severe. They were all screaming about tariffs and trade balances until the tariffs started to serious feck over the farmers, not its much more muted. They love the pull out the troops stuff right up until the TV is full of dead kids, and genocide is on the cards. All these things they say they want come with stiff price tags, and if history is anything to go by, people aren't generally willing to pay those prices for long. Especially when many of them are inherently contradictory to their other beliefs.

SteveJ

Scout
Scary question: if Trump, as stated, doesn't want foreign conflicts or for America to act as the world's police, what is he going to use the expensively-assembled army for? Crushing internal dissent?

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Scary question: if Trump, as stated, doesn't want foreign conflicts or for America to act as the world's police, what is he going to use the expensively-assembled army for? Crushing internal dissent?
Parades?

Seriously though, deterrent.

Cait Sith

Trump is right, US military has no business being in other countries thousands of miles afar. Weird how the left can't agree with that just because it's Trump.

Of course Trump doesn't do it for peace and anti military reasons. If that was the case he would start to dismantle the 1000 military bases the US has stationend all over the world. But in this particular instance he is correct, US soldiers have no business being in Syria.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Trump is right, US military has no business being in other countries thousands of miles afar. Weird how the left can't agree with that just because it's Trump.

Of course Trump doesn't do it for peace and anti military reasons. If that was the case he would start to dismantle the 1000 military bases the US has stationend all over the world. But in this particular instance he is correct, US soldiers have no business being in Syria.
What business do they have being in Saudi Arabia then? He rushed more troops to Saudi Arabia than he recalled out of Syria.

Cait Sith

What business do they have being in Saudi Arabia then? He rushed more troops to Saudi Arabia than he recalled out of Syria.
No business either but Saudis have oil so they own us (the West).

There was more outrage in Western media about the bombed Saudi oil production facilities than there was about war in Yemen. The beheaded journalist is also forgotten by now.

Unfortunately that's the world we live in.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
No business either but Saudis have oil so they own us (the West).

There was more outrage in Western media about the bombed Saudi oil production facilities than there was about war in Yemen. The beheaded journalist is also forgotten by now.

Unfortunately that's the world we live in.
Sure but that doesn't slide with your dig at democrats not doing the right thing just because it was Trump. Trump has no problem sending kids to hostile territory if the other end was helping him or his extended family rake in some cash. The US and other NATO forces in Syria were not even involved in direct combat, they were training SDF and effectively acting as a deterrent against Turkish aggression while the SDF kept up their end of the bargain.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
The oil excuse is also mere bull shit at this point as the US itself is sitting on tons of its own reserves. The Saudi relationship doesn't offer anything worth national interest except for the weapons they buy for their own ill conceived war. They just happen to line up the pockets of enough influential people to do their bidding in the west.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge

You can break contract by virtue of having enough muscle (goons, armies, or lawyers) but good luck finding the next dumb guy that believes you

Americans are burning bridges all over the world right now. They wont feel it in the near future but i think trump will be a catalyst of something bigger later on. As in a major changes in geopolitical for the future.

Their influence is getting weaker enough that countries has started to slowly not listening to the big brother anymore albeit behind their back.

Russia is gaining grounds and then Chinese is gaining even more on economic front.

Even if you have a good president in 2020 these divide he's sown isnt going to heal magically. Americans will be split between the right and the left.

Maybe trump is just one of the people that destiny allows to exist.

Amarsdd

Hope you know that those 1000 US military are being moved to Iraq and not being brought back.

Drifter

American

He so wants to be that fly on the wall. It's eating at him. And if he does not know them ,theirs nothing to worry about.

Florida Man

Yep it’s weird how imperialist military policies become a mainstream favorite again under the guise of “helping oppressed people”.

SteveJ

Scout
Mr Transparency...who won't even let us know who visits the White House.

Status
Not open for further replies.