The United Flu? - What diabolical illnesses ravage us but lets City off the hook?

Grande

Couldn’t find a thread, but it’s been mentioned a lot: It seems like, apart from injuries, that United have had a lot of absences through illness this season, much mote than other teams from what I can see through rapid googling.

Wan-Bissaka, Shaw, Reguilon, Rashford, Martial, Lindelöf, Varane, Højlund, Eriksen and Diallo have all missed matches this season specified as illness, not injury. And that’s just from the top of my head. This strines me as unusual, apart from the period when Covid was new. Is this true? Or is it just own club negativity bias (OCNB). Or Ten Hag being more specific than other coaches on reasons for absence? (Don’t think so).

If it is true, then why? Lax quarantine praxis? STD-s ravaging a metrosexual squad more tight knit than ever? Bouts of virae local to Greater Manchester Area? Why aren’t City stricken then?

What say ye, Forum Physicians, Medical Muppets, Sickness Speculants, Absence Analytics and Queasiness Quacks?

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
I think our players are struggling to be mentally focused and motivated. It’s amazing how psychological factors can affect one’s physiology.

Red Royal

Just thought Eric (incorrectly) uses the term illness to cover a range of issues including minor injuries.
That said, if they are really illnesses like colds and flu we need to consider getting Beechams as our next sponsor.

Skills

Snitch
Rashford had norovirus, and then somehow was in the squad for the Liverpool game. Missed 1 midweek game.

Nickelodeon

Seems like any player can be unavailable for any game for us. We had a good, defensive performance against Liverpool, so Varane suddenly became ill against West Ham. We had a good, attacking performance vs Villa, Hojlund suddenly became ill. I know every team is going through injury crises and absences but these mysterious illnesses are extremely annoying.

Fingeredmouse

It's because we're cursed. This is the plague. I assume the locust infestation of Carrington is imminent.

Grande

I think our players are struggling to be mentally focused and motivated. It’s amazing how psychological factors can affect one’s physiology.
No doubt this is possible, it happens at every workplace. I have always had this thought that sometimes with footballers, if they feel down, unconfident or unhappy with the manager or other players, they’ll have ‘small niggles’ that sometimes even ‘won’t seem to go away’. But not illness in the same way?

Grande

Seems like any player can be unavailable for any game for us. We had a good, defensive performance against Liverpool, so Varane suddenly became ill against West Ham. We had a good, attacking performance vs Villa, Hojlund suddenly became ill. I know every team is going through injury crises and absences but these mysterious illnesses are extremely annoying.
It’s starting to drive me nuts. Now finally I was looking to see if Diallo could build on a decent cameo and get some game time vs a League one team before everyone else is back, but … no luck! Or is it maybe not a coincidence?

Lentwood

Rashford had norovirus, and then somehow was in the squad for the Liverpool game. Missed 1 midweek game.
That's believable though. I had it last Wednesday, was physically sick for 12hrs straight and then basically recovered and it was just a case of rehydrating and refueling.

KevinJoh

It is possible, but it is not possible to be the only team in the league with so many "ill" players. Can't remember that City had one, and they are living in the same city, or that any other team had ill players. It is possible that they are making some minor discipline problems and that TH is covering that with "ill" phrase. Once it happened with Rashford I think when he did not play after going to some party and he said he was ill, although he probably was not.

klayton88

If we were a Brazilian team we'd be called Fluminense...

...I'll get mi coat

Tyrion

I also support Ireland and I remember when we had about a dozen more players down with COVID than anyone else. Fun times. I'm starting to think my support is a factor.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
It must be all that undercooked food they serve at our facilities...

Redivy

One of the United journalists mentioned that Ten Hag refers to minor injuries as “illness”, seems like he uses it as blanket term for sickness, strains and the like.

TheRedHearted

I also support Ireland and I remember when we had about a dozen more players down with COVID than anyone else. Fun times. I'm starting to think my support is a factor.
I mean you are the bastard son of Aerys Targeryan. Not much luck comes your way

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Just thought Eric (incorrectly) uses the term illness to cover a range of issues including minor injuries.
That said, if they are really illnesses like colds and flu we need to consider getting Beechams as our next sponsor.
This, this is clearly what he does.

Von Mistelroum

To be fair, the magic pills will get City and Liverpool through most seasons. If you're playing in pain, but you're high as a kite it's probably not as bad.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
I doubt that. At least with some of them, he emphasized that it was illness and not injury.
He generally just says they’re ill. Been doing it all season. I think he does it because it shuts down the conversation, awkward for a journalist to ask what illness they have.

Jev

I once heard that some illnesses can be contagious. If true, it might make sense that once an illness gets into a dressing room, it increases the likelihood of it spreading to other players.

SER19

Agree. It's cultural. There's no way there aren't PL players playing in more motivated set ups with similar ailments. Obviously I have no inside track here and concede that people get legitimately ill, but our situation is ridiculous. If you're in a thriving team with loads of competition, enjoying football, you won't miss a game unless its absolutely essential. I know even ferguson had some of these concerns about saha/hargreaves for example. And that was in a top level United set up.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
It's what most of my coworkers say when they want day off. It's either flu or stomach problems, easy day off.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
My lower league club once explained a player's sudden absence as having a "cold".

Weeks and weeks later they actually revealed he was suspended.
On trial for murder. :nervous:

neon_badger

If it is a case of Ten Hag using illness as a blanket term for other things which he might be within his rights to do, is it fair on the fans? particularly those paying money for season tickets, I get the idea behind keeping the media and opposition managers in the dark but is it fair to keep the supporters in the dark.