The West Ham/Liverpool model of recruitment

MalaysianRed7

Having just watched that brilliant game being played out, in which West Ham thankfully came out on top, I think this is the perfect time to start this thread.

Fabianski, Cresswell, Bowen, Benrahma, Antonio, Van Dijk, Robertson, Henderson, Mane, Jota. All 10 of these players, 5 from either side who started the game, were either one of the best players in the Championship or a mid table/relegation battling PL team. Obviously, all 10 have been nothing short of excellent for West Ham and Liverpool, playing massive roles in their club’s successes over the past few seasons. Liverpool have obviously become PL winners* and CL winners, while West Ham stayed up and have established themselves as a top 6 team.

I don’t understand why more teams don’t follow this model. It’s my favourite type of recruitment, as it’s cost efficient, easy to scout and players already know the league, rather than blowing millions of pounds on established/flavour of the month players. The likes of Maguire, Grealish and Lukaku might never come good (Maguire certainly won’t), and will never be as value for money even if they do. 3 of these guys cost less than the 10 listed above, unbelievably.

Using us as an example, why couldn’t we have brought in one of Bissouma/Neves in the summer. Both are PL proven, not too expensive and far better than McFred.

Skills

Snitch
Neves wouldn't have been too expensive? Weren't Wolves meant to be asking around £60-70m for him?

Sviken

They have a system, that's why these players look good. At United we have a manager that thinks football is a simple game.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Never thought I'd see the day that people on here are envious of West Ham.

MalaysianRed7

Neves wouldn't have been too expensive? Weren't Wolves meant to be asking around £60-70m for him?
Never, if I remember correctly it was around the £40m ballpark. You never know with Bissouma as we never enquired, but he would have cost around that figure as well.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Never, if I remember correctly it was around the £40m ballpark. You never know with Bissouma as we never enquired, but he would have cost around that figure as well.
As neither player moved their price is unknown so it's moot either way.

J2J

Maybe a decade ago you could throw £15/£20m at a player and grab them from a relegation/mid-table team. But nowadays it feels like you have to throw £60m+ to acquire someone of the same standard. I’m sure Neves & Bissouma would cost £100m+ for both.

You could probably buy a first XI player from a team like Ajax, Monaco, Lyon, Dortmund etc for a similar price.

Reactions: Invictus

M Bison

Supports
York City
They have a system, that's why these players look good. At United we have a manager that thinks football is a simple game.
exactly, the personnel comes secondary, tactics/strategy/style comes first. We’d make any player in world football look poor at the moment.

Spaghetti

Mom's
Having just watched that brilliant game being played out, in which West Ham thankfully came out on top, I think this is the perfect time to start this thread.

Fabianski, Cresswell, Bowen, Benrahma, Antonio, Van Dijk, Robertson, Henderson, Mane, Jota. All 10 of these players, 5 from either side who started the game, were either one of the best players in the Championship or a mid table/relegation battling PL team. Obviously, all 10 have been nothing short of excellent for West Ham and Liverpool, playing massive roles in their club’s successes over the past few seasons. Liverpool have obviously become PL winners* and CL winners, while West Ham stayed up and have established themselves as a top 6 team.

I don’t understand why more teams don’t follow this model. It’s my favourite type of recruitment, as it’s cost efficient, easy to scout and players already know the league, rather than blowing millions of pounds on established/flavour of the month players. The likes of Maguire, Grealish and Lukaku might never come good (Maguire certainly won’t), and will never be as value for money even if they do. 3 of these guys cost less than the 10 listed above, unbelievably.

Using us as an example, why couldn’t we have brought in one of Bissouma/Neves in the summer. Both are PL proven, not too expensive and far better than McFred.
Wan Bissaka, Shaw, Maguire, James, Sancho, Van de Beek. That’s the exact type of recruitment. We just don’t know what to do with players when they get here.

MalaysianRed7

Wan Bissaka, Shaw, Maguire, James, Sancho, Van de Beek. That’s the exact type of recruitment. We just don’t know what to do with players when they get here.
Only the first two fit the bill. Maguire was a flavour of the month signing because for some reason he considered Maguire to be such a massive upgrade on Smalling. Sancho is a superstar from overseas that any football fan can spot, VdB is another player from overseas and James was far from one of the best Championship players. 4 goals, 9 assists and we paid £15m for him. God help us.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"

How much did VVD cost?

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Robertson was an odd one, went for 8m without competition, and he nailed on to become one of the best LBs in the league.
Glad to see Fabianski doing well.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Our signings usually work out because we have Klopp to coach and motivate them. A good manager can push a player towards that step up to the next level. Other managers can’t.

You can adopt a strategy like we have but it makes no difference if you don’t have the manager to take them to the next level.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
When Manchester United ask for a player, it's usually double the price. Same as City, because we have the money and clubs know if we want the player we will pay for them, it's generally our transfer strategy for years.

Redfrog

When you are watching it from your tv or iPad, it’s a simple game :wenger:

Redfrog

Our signings usually work out because we have Klopp to coach and motivate them. A good manager can push a player towards that step up to the next level. Other managers can’t.

You can adopt a strategy like we have but it makes no difference if you don’t have the manager to take them to the next level.
Exactly this, I miss SAF.