The worst set-piece defending I have seen in a long time

lysglimt

Scout
I have to go back to yesterdays game between Brentford and Arsenal, because I am still shocked at how poorly Arsenal were defending their own goal. Chambers was awful when rather than giving a corner away, he cleared the ball straight to Brentford. And then allowed Canos to get a shot in.

Then we have the situation where Ben White decided not to move his legs while Mbeumo was given a free run at goal.

But - the second goal........(and yes I think Jansson illegal blocked Leno - but that is beside the point here)

I am trying to recall the last time I saw a team make so many errors on a defensive set-piece. If you freeze the picture when the Brentford-players throws the ball, you can see 3 Brentford-players inside the 5 yard box and one just outside. There are 6 Arsenal-players around these players, but not one of them are really close to the Brentford-players. And most shocking - Pontus Jansson is left completely alone with the goalkeeper - the nearest Arsenal-players is more than a meter away. Christian Norgaard who scores the goal is on the edge of the area with one Arsenal-player fairly close to him. I think it's Saka - and he is maybe 2 meters closer to his own goal than Norgaard.

When the ball is thrown - 2 Arsenal-players misses the first header. Pontus Jansson is still left alone with Leno on the goalline preventing him from taking the ball - no Arsenal-players makes the slightest attempt to shield their goalkeeper. Saka tracks Norgaards run until he approaches the 5-yard box - Norgaard continues, and Saka decides to stop his run allowing the Dane a free header at goal.

So to summarize
1 - they miss the ball at the near post - with both players misjudging the ball.
2 - they allow Jansson to block Leno without anyone trying to remove him.
3 - they allow Norgaard a free run at goal.