There isn't a rule specifying how big a corner flag can be

Ajr

Probably no longer under surveillance
According to the FA rulebook:
The corner area is defined by a quarter circle with a radius of 1m (1yd) from each corner flagpost drawn inside the field of play. A flagpost, at least 1.5m (5ft) high, with a non-pointed top and a flag must be placed at each corner.
There is no rule on the flagpost's height or the flag's size, this means a team could technically make the corner flags be the whole width of the field including covering the goal preventing the other team from scoring? Just imagine this in a game :

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
:lol:
Didn't even have to look at the username.

TheRedHearted

But wait wouldn’t this only help us for half a game. Would the idea be to get the start with it and score as many as possible?

Red the Bear

Something less generic
It also doesn't specify whether you can put acid pools around the pitch or not , so we could do that to I guess

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
There's also no rule on what the corner flag needs to be made out of, which presents even more underhanded possibilities.

Imagine, for example, an opposing player goes over to take a corner and realises he's actually standing next to a very cleverly disguised nuclear warhead. And then it goes off.

Last edited:

Dansk

I've sometimes wondered what would happen if there was a player with a freakishly unusual physique. For the sake of argument, let's say a human being was born like this...

...and made it into professional football. Would that be allowed? Or perhaps some other extreme anomaly, like a player who can run twice as fast as Usain Bolt, or someone with four functional arms. There can't really be rules against that sort of thing, right?

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
There can't really be rules against that sort of thing, right?
If the twice-as-fast as Bolt and/or four-armed individual was good enough to play professional football, I suppose the authorities might have a problem these days if said individual felt offended by being excluded.

But in theory they could simply call it "unsporting" - which covers anything that is unfair to one team but not specified in the rules.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I've sometimes wondered what would happen if there was a player with a freakishly unusual physique. For the sake of argument, let's say a human being was born like this...

...and made it into professional football. Would that be allowed? Or perhaps some other extreme anomaly, like a player who can run twice as fast as Usain Bolt, or someone with four functional arms. There can't really be rules against that sort of thing, right?
Fatties in goal has long been a strategy.
But imagine how fat you'd need to be to fill a fuĺl sized goal.

giggs-beckham

Clueless
I've thought years ago that can't a player like trap to ball between his knees and his team mates all carry him up the field. Then drop the ball in the middle of the huddle and someone toe pokes it in.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I've thought years ago that can't a player like trap to ball between his knees and his team mates all carry him up the field. Then drop the ball in the middle of the huddle and someone toe pokes it in.
That's called obstruction.

CallyRed

In a set piece situation, could players use other players from the same team to prepell themselves up in the air. Bit like a rugby line out, to either attack or defend a cross?
Or could they simply just use the shoulders of a team mate to raise themselves, can't be a foul if on the same team right?

Swearing Budgie

When I play 6-a-side there is a fat lad who goes nets and he pretty much fills it. Almost impossible to score.

Is that cheating?

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
There's also no rule on what the corner flag needs to be made out of, which presents even more underhanded possibilities.

Imagine, for example, an opposing player goes over to take a corner and realises he's actually standing next to a very cleverly disguised nuclear warhead. And then it goes off.
It should be made of chicken so the players can have a quick snack.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
Reminds me of the thread about exploiting the back pass rule by getting the keeper and a tall defender to just keep throwing/heading the ball to each other. It's just missing the MS Paint illustration.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Reminds me of the thread about exploiting the back pass rule by getting the keeper and a tall defender to just keep throwing/heading the ball to each other. It's just missing the MS Paint illustration.
:lol:That was a great thread.

I have wondered whether players could create a human pyramid defensive wall.

Or if they have the ball, have the player at the top of the pyramid head to the guy next to him to keep it and shuffle up the pitch together toward the oppo goal.