Thiago Alcantara | Pool bound

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rolaholic

Potential bullet dodged for the rest of the league if true...

RedDevilRoshi

Potential bullet dodged for the rest of the league if true...
“only likely to enter the transfer market if a significant member of Jurgen Klopp’s squad leaves Anfield“. That’s surely a major risk they are taking by just standing still whilst Chelsea have already strengthened for next season and are going to strengthen even more. We will also be strengthening our squad too as well as Man City no doubt.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
“only likely to enter the transfer market if a significant member of Jurgen Klopp’s squad leaves Anfield“. That’s surely a major risk they are taking by just standing still whilst Chelsea have already strengthened for next season and are going to strengthen even more. We will also be strengthening our squad too as well as Man City no doubt.
Yep, same thing we did last summer. You’d have thought we’d built up enough cash reserves to buy one or two players at the very least. Even with covid, but our owners are very risk averse. Signing Thiago is a pure footballing man move. Our owners and back room team don’t operate like that and given their achievements it’s difficult to criticise them especially with transfers.

This lad is a quality footballer though, the only concerns any team should have signing him are his injuries. Top 3 Centre mids in the world.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Think we will sign him. Have a funny feeling in me groin.

Davie Moyes

Yep, same thing we did last summer. You’d have thought we’d built up enough cash reserves to buy one or two players at the very least. Even with covid, but our owners are very risk averse. Signing Thiago is a pure footballing man move. Our owners and back room team don’t operate like that and given their achievements it’s difficult to criticise them especially with transfers.

This lad is a quality footballer though, the only concerns any team should have signing him are his injuries. Top 3 Centre mids in the world.
Spot on. I would hate if you guys got him, however his profile does not seem to fit the kind of successful signings you have been making the last few seasons. For similar reasons I don't think Utd would get him either.

TrustInOle

Think we will sign him. Have a funny feeling in me groin.
Could he work alongside Pogba in a 2 though? Is he defensively aware enough? Can't say I have had the pleasure of watching him much since his Bayern days, but as a youngster at Barce, he seemed like he would be the iniesta replacement.

RedDevilRoshi

Fair enough, that strategy has worked out really well for you guys but my take on it is what happens for example if Van Dijk and 2 of your front 3 pick up very nasty injuries and are ruled out for months, are the players that will step in for them be able to make the same sort of impact?

Infra-red

Could he work alongside Pogba in a 2 though? Is he defensively aware enough? Can't say I have had the pleasure of watching him much since his Bayern days, but as a youngster at Barce, he seemed like he would be the iniesta replacement.
No, I don't think so. He'd be competing with Pogba, Fred and McTominay for the #8 position. Quality player, no doubt, but we'd have to shift someone if we actually had any interest in a deal (we don't).

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
Fair enough, that strategy has worked out really well for you guys but my take on it is what happens for example if Van Dijk and 2 of your front 3 pick up very nasty injuries and are ruled out for months, are the players that will step in for them be able to make the same sort of impact?
Probably not if I’m honest. I rate both Matip and Gomez but it’s a tough ask for them to a title winning partnership. They’re both quality centre halves and there’s not many around in the league I’d swap them for but if they had to play Sep-January on their own? There’s also the fact they’re both injury prone, neither of them can stay fit and its why we need them plus lovren as they all get plenty of games.

Same for the front three, I’m sure in one off games we might manage, but despite players like Shaqiri contributing when they’re picked Klopp barely plays him. Our depth hardly see the pitch. Origi is a cult hero and always will be. If he’s content to sit on the bench as a moments player he will always have a role here, however he’s not going to be good enough to starting game after game. Our depth in attack is far far short of any other top side.

The silver lining is with reduced competitions next season we might be okay on the injury front but that’s a toss up on luck really.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Can't believe you called this last week

Looks like we're in talks with him now
Makes sense to be fair. I’d prefer him to Grealish personally. Would probably cost less and he’s probably at his peak.

Having him also means being able to buy young players and not block the pathway as much.

Zoo

Seeing as we’re hellbent on building up from the back then Thiago would make a lot of sense.

ReallyUSA

Honestly, I hope its true. The team looked absolutely exhausted yesterday.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Haaaa I'm not getting sucked in

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
There’s an article mentioning that we’re in talks with Thiago and Falk got asked on Twitter whether it’s true of false and he said it’s not untrue.
Thanks mate. I was referring to that screenshot in Spanish(?)

Infra-red

What does it say? Any translations ?
It is a story about Rafinha. It says that Rafinha would like to try his luck in the Premier League, which could coincide with his brother Thiago's move to England, as he is about to leave Bayern to sign for Manchester United.

It's a strange throw away line to have at the end of a piece about Rafinha. I doubt there is any substance in it.

Chairman Steve

Wasnt he ‘definitely going to Liverpool’ a week or two ago? I feel like an agent is bigging him up or Bayern are doing this to get more money for him, or its all contract extension theatrics.

A good player however.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
It is a story about Rafinha. It says that Rafinha would like to try his luck in the Premier League, which could coincide with his brother Thiago's move to England, as he is about to leave Bayern to sign for Manchester United.
It’s funny how they are so blasé about it :lol:

Infra-red

Wasnt he ‘definitely going to Liverpool’ a week or two ago? I feel like an agent is bigging him up or Bayern are doing this to get more money for him, or its all contract extension theatrics.

A good player however.
Typical contract extension stuff in my view. Liverpool have already distanced themselves from it, I expect we'll do the same.

Paxi

Can't believe you called this last week

Looks like we're in talks with him now
Oh my word I’d cream over this signing. Been one of my favourite players since he came through at Barca.

Classical Mechanic

Interesting, I thought we'd be going for a straight Matic replacement, i'd be surprised if we think Thiago could fit that role.
He’s miles better at that role than Matic isn’t he? He’s a ball playing DM

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/74939/Show/Thiago

One of the most technically gifted players in the game. I‘d love to see him here. The main criticism of him is that he bottles big games.

Paxi

We’d certainly be beating the press with him in the starting 11. Him Pogba and Bruno would be wank worthy but I’m exactly sure how we’d do it.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
He’s miles better at that role than Matic isn’t he? He’s a ball playing DM

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/74939/Show/Thiago

One of the most technically gifted players in the game. I‘d love to see him here. The main criticism of him is that he bottles big games.
He does normally play alongside Kimmich though who does all the donkey work right? If we have the balls to play Pogba/Bruno and Thiago as a midfield 3 then it'll be exciting to watch that's for sure. Not convinced we'd be defensively secure mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.