Television Tho Prop Grops Throps

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Andrade/La Sombra asked for his release from WWE. Oi oi, him in AEW would be incredible.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
I like Andrade but he won't be a huge loss, it'd be a bigger loss if Charlotte left to be with him.
No loss for WWE, because they get so little out of most of their roster, but he has all the potential you could wish for in AEW, NJPW and elsewhere. Incredible worker with a great look.

Bwuk

No loss for WWE, because they get so little out of most of their roster, but he has all the potential you could wish for in AEW, NJPW and elsewhere. Incredible worker with a great look.
You can only have so many people as main eventers.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
You can only have so many people as main eventers.
Sure, but the top of the AEW singles division isn’t all that crowded as Revolution showed. First PPV in 4 months had two men’s single matches. Part of that is testament to their booking of everyone into factions and tag team, but part of it speaks to a lack of top tier men’s singles workers.

Bwuk

They got Black sitting at home doing nothing too. Chad Gables contract might be expiring.
I really like Black too, but again theres only so many spots on the roster.

AEW will run into this issue too if they keep hiring people. PAC is doing what exactly? They've just hired Christian too.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
At least send them back to NXT. Anderade is really really awesome.
Although I agree couples being in separate companies isn't an issue, I think the nature of how Zelina left coupled with how Black/Almas have been used on the main roster recently will probably lead to their exits. Already pretty much has in Andrades case.

As much as we give them stick for it, AEW would be mad to not go for them.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Although I agree couples being in separate companies isn't an issue, I think the nature of how Zelina left coupled with how Black/Almas have been used on the main roster recently will probably lead to their exits. Already pretty much has in Andrades case.

As much as we give them stick for it, AEW would be mad to not go for them
Yeah they should be chomping at the bit... And to be fair Almas doesn't really have the WWE background / stigma to him. So it should feel a lot different to a Christian signing.

SalfordRed18

Supports
Ashwood City FC
Yeah they should be chomping at the bit... And to be fair Almas doesn't really have the WWE background / stigma to him. So it should feel a lot different to a Christian signing.
Don't think black does either tbf. Tommy End was big on the Indies.

R.E.D.

You know NXT guys get paid less?
Ballor went back to NXT, Kevin Owens said he wanted to go back there and it almost happened, Ciampa said he'd retire if they move him to Raw or Smackdown, I'm pretty sure Gargano was called up and stayed in NXT and even Anderade himself posted a picture with the NXT title teasing going back there. If they can figure out something that keeps him happy then why not, if they can't then OK you obviously go where you get paid more.

SalfordRed18

Supports
Ashwood City FC
Yeah where I think that use to a substantial wage gap between NXT and the rest, I doubt it's that much now what with them going live.

Top guys of NXT I'd imagine are paid more than midcard and under of raw/smackdown.

ZDwyr

He'd be a good AEW signing. Although I thought the same about Rusev and his AEW run has been very mediocre so far.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Ballor went back to NXT, Kevin Owens said he wanted to go back there and it almost happened, Ciampa said he'd retire if they move him to Raw or Smackdown, I'm pretty sure Gargano was called up and stayed in NXT and even Anderade himself posted a picture with the NXT title teasing going back there. If they can figure out something that keeps him happy then why not, if they can't then OK you obviously go where you get paid more.
Balor went back when he is on a main roster contract and that's why KO wants to go back. That's the dream financially, pre and post Covid.

Get main roster money, go back to NXT. No travelling expenses and most of them probably live in Florida so more time with family.

SalfordRed18

Supports
Ashwood City FC
He'd be a good AEW signing. Although I thought the same about Rusev and his AEW run has been very mediocre so far.
The stock in Rusev at the time of signing was a lot lower than the other two I'd argue, despite the other two not being on TV.

Probably from being exposed on Raw/SD for so long.

Minkaro

I think that's fair, but off the top of my head most of the other ex-WWE guys have been booked better. Archer, Harper, Mox all look(ed) better than they did in WWE, Jericho/Hardy about the same. Pac is a star attraction too. I suppose Matt Sydal is also there. I wouldn't say it's at the expense of anyone either, really.

I'm not counting Cody because of his position in the company. Like, he's booked strong, but of course he is.

I don't think they should sign everyone WWE lets go, but Andrade and Black I'd argue for.

Ekeke

The referee in the Io Shirai and Toni Storm match tore his bicep and will have surgery. Cant remember that happening before. Someone please tell me it wasnt from counting a pin

Sylar

Peyton Royce had a great promo on raw talk

And Heyman talking about Christian running away as reigns would have targeted him was brilliant on talking smack

Minkaro

The referee in the Io Shirai and Toni Storm match tore his bicep and will have surgery. Cant remember that happening before. Someone please tell me it wasnt from counting a pin
Apparently it happened Thursday morning? Surely he wouldn't have been officiating a match then, so must have happened outside of wrestling?

Anyway, the same guy broke his leg last year reffing a match between Tyler Breeze and Velveteen Dream. There's pictures online of him finishing the match, with his leg pointing the wrong way. I don't suggest looking them up (they were posted in an article I read).

Ekeke

AEW Revolution biggest non-WWE pay per view buys in 22 years according to Meltzer although he doesnt have the final final numbers. Huge success. Says feedback is that the main event and stipulation was the reason they bought it. So even though the spectacle had a poor climax, it did business. Obviously if theres another exploding barb wire match in the future a lot of people will remember the finish to this show and also having now seen it once thats another reason why they might not buy it again. So probably a one time success

SalfordRed18

Supports
Ashwood City FC
Wouldn't look into buy rate successful. They were promised a huge huge star and got Christian, were promised explosions and got sparklers. I came close to buying it myself and decided against it in the end. I think a lot of those guys will think twice before buying again.

2 or 3 solid PPVs in a row I imagine will be needed before we see numbers like this again.

Ladron de redcafe

For everyone in here, what are some of your favourite wrestling matches (any promotion) throughout the years.

What would your top 5 matches over the past 30-40 years be?

Sylar

For everyone in here, what are some of your favourite wrestling matches (any promotion) throughout the years.

I'll probably do a list later but Austin / Hart at wrestle mania is probably my favourite

Zen

Punk-Cena on Raw baby. That goddamn piledriver!

The only thing the MITB had over it was that Punk won, not so much a sleight on Cena winning per say, but Cena-Rock was always in place and them doing the the triple threat main event or Punk-Rock rematch was never on. You genuinely didn't know who was winning the MITB.

Last edited:

Minkaro

I dip in and out of wrestling, but I’ll try and do a list of the first ones that come to my head today. So there’ll be some terrible omissions, but hopefully others will cover them.

1. Kota Ibushi vs El Generico vs Nick Jackson vs Jigsaw (CHIKARA King of Trios 2009 Night 2)

2. AJ Styles vs Samoa Joe vs Christopher Daniels (TNA Unbreakable 2005) - also AJ Styles vs Samoa Joe from Turning Point the same year.

3) Katsuyori Shibata vs Tomohiro Ishii (NJPW G1 Climax 23 2013)

4) John Cena vs CM Punk (WWE Money in the Bank 2011)

5) El Generico vs Kevin Steen (ROH Final Battle 2010)

6) Chris Jericho vs Chris Benoit (WWE Royal Rumble 2001)

I used to have a whopping great Excel file with match ratings in. I deleted it during one of my “I don’t care about wrestling anymore” periods, and it’s times like this that make me regret it.

Ladron de redcafe

I dip in and out of wrestling, but I’ll try and do a list of the first ones that come to my head today. So there’ll be some terrible omissions, but hopefully others will cover them.

1. Kota Ibushi vs El Generico vs Nick Jackson vs Jigsaw (CHIKARA King of Trios 2009 Night 2)

2. AJ Styles vs Samoa Joe vs Christopher Daniels (TNA Unbreakable 2005) - also AJ Styles vs Samoa Joe from Turning Point the same year.

3) Katsuyori Shibata vs Tomohiro Ishii (NJPW G1 Climax 23 2013)

4) John Cena vs CM Punk (WWE Money in the Bank 2011)

5) El Generico vs Kevin Steen (ROH Final Battle 2010)

6) Chris Jericho vs Chris Benoit (WWE Royal Rumble 2001)

I used to have a whopping great Excel file with match ratings in. I deleted it during one of my “I don’t care about wrestling anymore” periods, and it’s times like this that make me regret it.
Interesting choices. Surprised you picked the Jericho-Benoit match over the one the latter had with Angle two years later. But the Jericho match was underrated!

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
My favourite matches of the last 5 years

WWE: Bryan vs Brock... or Brock/Cena/Rollins (though that might be over 5 years ago?)

NXT: Almas vs Gargano

AEW: Bucks vs Omega/Page

NJPW: Okada vs Omega 2

Minkaro

Interesting choices. Surprised you picked the Jericho-Benoit match over the one the latter had with Angle two years later. But the Jericho match was underrated!
I lost the channels, so I missed loads of WWE between 2002 and 2004.

Ive been catching up on the Network, but NJPW are doing their cup thing so that’s taking time.

SalfordRed18

Supports
Ashwood City FC
I lost the channels, so I missed loads of WWE between 2002 and 2004.

Ive been catching up on the Network, but NJPW are doing their cup thing so that’s taking time.
That's a fair chunk of ruthless aggression, should deffo watch.

I stopped watching wrestling (other than the big 4 PPVs at the bar I worked in) in like 09 till 2016. God I miss OG SDLive :drool:

Sylar

If you could do a top 10 (no specific order), I'd be curious to see what else you have on there.
I'm not gonna include house shows because there was an Undertaker vs angle match which was amazing and about 30 minutes long in Wembley. The best match I've ever seen live

This was hard to do but I know what my number 1 is.
1. Bret vs Austin wm
the lead up with Bret returning after losing the belt to hbk the year before, and beating Austin at survivor series, and then the whole rumble mess and final 4 to this, the match itself and the double turn with the iconic view of Austin in the sharpshooter bleeding. And finding out later Bret did the blade job on Austin to make it look iconic and Vince not having a clue as he didn't want blood. And Shamrock there too and him not taking focus away from the match

2. Angle v Benoit - rumble 03
same show as that abysmal Steiner/hhh match. I'm sure Benoit got a standing ovation after losing too. Their chemistry was great and pure wrestling
Feels weird mentioning Benoit

3. TLC 2 - wrestle mania
absolute spectacle with my fav tag team of all time e&c winning

4. Rock v Austin wm17
same show and this was before finishers were spammed in every Match trying to be rated high. But it worked for this as a main event. Probably end of attitude era too with Austin heel turn at the end

5.Cena vs punk WWE mitb
evey thing that came with it, including the shock of punk winning and avoiding the cash in too. The match itself was great and the chemistry the two had was brilliant. Promos before hand also in mind

6. Bayley vs Sasha - takeover brooklyn
my favourite ever women's match. Again great story leading to it, Bayley having never won the title, Sasha being a great heel too, the crowd being electric and the finish was... Boss

7. Daniels vs AJ vs Joe threat TNA
match was great and I still can't believe tna had these three and they were often secondary figures

8. Omega vs Okada NJPW 2/3 falls
probably the first story I fully followed with NJPW with the previous matches which were great and I thought this topped it especially with the result

9. Joe vs punk roh 1 hour draw
roh was amazing around this time. Can't remember if the whole rob Feinstein thing happened before or after this. But roh was more entertaining than tna especially as an alternative
10. Joe vs kobashi Roh
hard hitting. Hadn't seen anything of kobashi before he came to roh, just heard about the machine gun chops. Insane fun match

Ladron de redcafe

Some really great matches that I even forgot about in here. The triple threat match at the 2015 Royal Rumble that @Annihilate Now! mentioned was fantastic. At one point, I think Rollins jumped from the top rope and Lesnar caught him in an F5. The chemistry between all three was incredible and I remember thinking it's as good a triple threat match as I could remember.

Some incredible matches in that list by @Sylar and I agree with a lot of your explanations.
The second Rock Vs Austin at WrestleMania 17 worked because the false finishes had everyone thinking the match was over. They erupted everytime someone hit a finisher, including when they stole each other's finishers. When Rock chased McMahon and run into a Rock Bottom by Austin, they went ballistic.

That match might be my favourite match ever. The two greatest stars of their generation head to head in front of a sizzling crowd, in their primes, on a night in which everything clicked.

The Benoit Vs Angle match that you mentioned did indeed result in a standing ovation for Benoit. Anything that followed that Steiner Vs HHH disaster would have been appreciated by that crowd, but that match was genuinely one of the greatest matches in wrestling history.

@Minkaro The WWE is uploading a bunch of matches on their official YouTube channel. You mention that you missed 2002-2004. If you haven't watched these, I'd recommend giving them a shot:

Rock Vs Hogan (Wrestlemania 18)
Undertaker Vs Jeff Hardy (Raw June 2002)
Rock Vs Lesnar (SummerSlam 2002)
Undertaker Vs Lesnar (No Mercy 2002 HIAC)
Mysterio & Edge Vs Angle & Benoit Vs Guerreros (SS 2002)
Elimination Chamber (SS 2002)
Angle Vs Benoit (Royal Rumble 2003)
Angle Vs Lesnar (Iron man match smack down 2003)
Benoit Vs HBK Vs HHH (Wrestlemania 20)