Television Tho Prop Grops Throps

Ekeke

But that's the story telling wrestling lacks nowadays. This was a good job by AEW. Now fans will want to see who actually is better. I hope Bryan wins the title. Nothing against Omega but you need to give these big names the title. Bryan Danielson will have a lot of casual viewers attached to him. So putting the world title even for a month or two could be a good thing. I will definitely do it.
The real problem is deciding between Bryan and Punk. Who are more people going to tune in to watch with the belt? Cuz Punk is still getting crazy reactions too

AshRK

The real problem is deciding between Bryan and Punk. Who are more people going to tune in to watch with the belt? Cuz Punk is still getting crazy reactions too
Doesn't matter. You can give the title to Punk later sometime in 2022. Like I said Bryan winning the title won't do much damage to Omega. Heck he can win it back in a month or two. And then you can even have hangman page return and beat Omega. I am not a fan of changing title too many times but in this case I wouldn't mind. You need to strike when the iron is hot and if you are not going to have your biggest assets in Bryan or Punk get the big one then you are just wasting their time.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Yeah agreed. No problem with it at all. I can see what @Annihilate Now! is saying about maybe ramping up the drama a bit more as the bell approached. It kind of just petered out a bit. And I don't know why the commentators were suggesting that Danielson could've won with another minute when he didn't even apply the submission until after the bell.
Yeah that was odd - made me wonder if the planned finished was for the time limit to run out when Bryan had the submission in and they just mis-timed it a bit? Because the way they played ithe match out was that it was just an even encounter and neither could best each other - which is a fine finish, but yeh, you'd have thought the commentators would have played up that angle.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
It works everywhere but WWE. New Japan do it for their big feuds. Omega Okada had it
Any finish will work anywhere so long as it's a) warranted and b) not done to death. Problem with WWE is they over use there go too distraction/DQ finishes....

AEW actually have enough goodwill in the bank that they could do a DQ finish and it wouldn't be an issue I don't think.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Yeah that was odd - made me wonder if the planned finished was for the time limit to run out when Bryan had the submission in and they just mis-timed it a bit? Because the way they played ithe match out was that it was just an even encounter and neither could best each other - which is a fine finish, but yeh, you'd have thought the commentators would have played up that angle.
Quite. I did think that as well.

Ekeke

Any finish will work anywhere so long as it's a) warranted and b) not done to death. Problem with WWE is they over use there go too distraction/DQ finishes....

AEW actually have enough goodwill in the bank that they could do a DQ finish and it wouldn't be an issue I don't think.
Well the problem with a draw in WWE is that the audience have grown up only watching WWE where they've been taught to accept loads of terrible finishes, but a timeout draw isnt one of them. Also where longterm storytelling isnt done very often because changes are made on a weekly basis

choccy77

Omega could have stood in the ring, shit in his hands and clapped and you'd have lapped it up. You're hardly an impartial poster in this thread.
Me?

I've seen Omega wrestle twice at most and Dynamite i've seen 5 full episodes only since it started.

I've watched wrestling for decades and even then have watched going back further and I understand the psychology of wrestling and also, what makes for good entertainment and what draws people to come back each week.

Vince did away with things such as Managers, Time Limits, Tag Team wrestling (heck even women) at one point, all of these have a valid and important role in telling a story and to ensure people return or buy the next PPV because it is a must see event.

WWE hasn't been must see on a regular basis for 20 years now.

AEW and it's people, all seem to be on the same page and surprise surprise they have a strong leadership of fans, casual viewers returning and logical stories and developments that are logical and make sense.

No one today who loves "wrestling" wants to see a guy lose for months and then suddenly given the world title and expect to carry that company.

Kinda weird you call me impartial when all I refer to is what wrestling should be and the only people who can't see it, are Vince, Blinded Fans like yourself and of course John Cena ;)

choccy77

Yeah agreed. No problem with it at all. I can see what @Annihilate Now! is saying about maybe ramping up the drama a bit more as the bell approached. It kind of just petered out a bit. And I don't know why the commentators were suggesting that Danielson could've won with another minute when he didn't even apply the submission until after the bell.
Yeah, the submission bit was no doubt an error which can happen, maybe they should have simply got the lock in and then rang the bell, not as though there was a clock showing the time limit etc. and especially when the referee counts 10 that takes 25 seconds :lol:

choccy77

Well the problem with a draw in WWE is that the audience have grown up only watching WWE where they've been taught to accept loads of terrible finishes, but a timeout draw isnt one of them. Also where longterm storytelling isnt done very often because changes are made on a weekly basis
Exactly,

Vince has really turned everything that was once good, into simply a money making machine for the shareholders and storylines and logic are no longer a part of his vision which actually hurts the product and ability to make more money which is ironic.

Been a lot of rumours that once those TV deals end, they could all be going after AEW if it stays strong and that would seriously affect WWE in a huge way, who now rely on TV money and not gate money.

I think Vince will sell up within next 2 years before those deals expire imo

SparkedIntoLife

If that’s your view then enjoy it. Hard to take someone too seriously though who is lamenting AEW for their entirely fictional Brian Cage vs Angelico 25 minutes matches though, and then seems to think there’s any chance of Vince Russo being involved with NXT — AND THIS BEING A POSITIVE?!
I’ll enjoy my view and you can enjoy your smart mark hardcore fan echo chamber. Cage/Angelico was a fictional example but it’s representative of an issue you’d be dishonest if you denied. Someone like Cage IS a great example. The guy should be winning squashes. Yet he’s always in lengthy matches against little guys because ‘work rate’.

Regarding Russo, I heard this from my friend who is friends with a WWE executive and gets a lot right. If it’s true, I’m sure it’ll come out publicly soon. As for whether it’s positive or not, you are welcome to follow the Meltzer/Cornette narrative that Russo has nothing good to offer. I’d opt for a more balanced take that attributes SOME of the Attitude Era’s success to Russo (albeit heavily filtered). We’ll probably just have to agree to disagree.

Ekeke

I’ll enjoy my view and you can enjoy your smart mark hardcore fan echo chamber. Cage/Angelico was a fictional example but it’s representative of an issue you’d be dishonest if you denied. Someone like Cage IS a great example. The guy should be winning squashes. Yet he’s always in lengthy matches against little guys because ‘work rate’.

Regarding Russo, I heard this from my friend who is friends with a WWE executive and gets a lot right. If it’s true, I’m sure it’ll come out publicly soon. As for whether it’s positive or not, you are welcome to follow the Meltzer/Cornette narrative that Russo has nothing good to offer. I’d opt for a more balanced take that attributes SOME of the Attitude Era’s success to Russo (albeit heavily filtered). We’ll probably just have to agree to disagree.
:lol:

Russo is not with NXT. If you enjoy the show thats fair enough. And if you just want to see big guys squashing small guys, you're likely to continue enjoying it and the new faces that NXT pushes.

Ladron de redcafe

Then you don't understand wrestling and also great booking.

Vince sends his love to you.
What a stupid response. You could just as easily apply that same statement to yourself. If you thought that was good booking, you understand nothing about wrestling. Tony sends you his love.

See how easy that was?

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC

Wtf you playing at making me agree with @Ekeke. Sort it out

Ladron de redcafe

This might be a controversial opinion but NXT 2.0 is my favourite wrestling show at the moment. AEW are doing really interesting things in isolation but the whole shows drag for me and are hard to watch.

What I like about NXT 2.0 -
  • Fast, Crash TV style pacing that doesn't leave room for boredom. It's probably a bit too jarringly quick but the rest of modern wrestling feels like it goes at snails pace. AEW especially has too many long matches aimed at the work rate fans. I have no interest in seeing, let's say, a 25 minute Brian Cage versus Angelico match; the former should beat the latter in 5. For me, having short matches on TV (bar maybe 1 match that night, i.e. the main event or a match between the top workers) is ideal with longer matches as the payoff to storylines on PPV. I know this is also done because NXT is a developmental and some of the recent debutants are really green.
  • Characters are established and developed! The previous NXT and AEW tends to introduce the indie darlings, assume everyone knows their character already and presents them as yet another 'good wrestler'. Some of the NXT 2.0 gimmicks feel slightly corny at the moment but at least there's been an attempt to make them unique aside from cool moves and an exciting entrance. Raw and, to a lesser extent, SmackDown has done a terrible job establishing characters for years so NXT 2.0 feels a real throwback to better days in this regard. Yes, loads of characters thrown in all at once isn't ideal but the audience will catch up quickly and are more likely to connect with each wrestler.
  • Fresh talent and wrestlers that mostly look like stars. I'm not advocating a return to the era when immobile body builders were en vogue with anyone under 6 foot 2 and 250 pounds were marginalised. However, the pendulum has swung way too far the other way. The majority of new wrestlers introduced look like stars and have personalities - Bron Breakker, Grayson Waller, Carmelo Hayes, Xyon Quinn and Duke Hudson to name but a few.
  • Representation. Unlike AEW which poses as woke, NXT 2.0 has genuine diverse representation. Women made up basically half the show. Also, there are some amazing talents of colour and from a variety of nationalities who will clearly be pushed hard.
  • Cross pollenation. In Raw and SD especially, it can often feel like wrestlers are only seen interacting with those they have a current storyline with (besides the 24/7 Title nonsense). In NXT 2.0, it feels like there's a living, breathing backstage environment where wrestlers mix. Anything can happen.
  • A good mix between comedy, serious stuff, the prestige of competition, work rate and over the top content.
  • Hot take for sure but I like the colour scheme and logo. It's cheerful and fresh. The previous NXT looked dinghy and a bit dull.
A good source indicates that Vince Russo has been brought in as a consultant on this and it shows. As a head writer without a filter, he's erratic and a liability. As an ideas guy and a producer, he has a lot to offer IMHO.

Variety is the spice of life and I know many will disagree with the above. NXT 2.0 has received a lot of criticism online; probably because it's not aimed at the r/SquaredCircle crowd and casual fans have abandoned wrestling by droves in recent years.
If Russo is involved, I'd be amazed simply because he's openly denigrated Triple H on a daily basis since the Chyna interview on his radio show. Moreover, Bruce Prichard - who is head of creative - seems to hate his guts.

I see it the way @Ekeke does. I can't imagine how everyone would suddenly be on board with his return. And I'm not sure the current NXT product screams Vince Russo either.

Having said that, i do hope you're right in a way because as much hate as he seems to get, his ideas were a little out of the box and there was some good stuff there.

choccy77

What a stupid response. You could just as easily apply that same statement to yourself. If you thought that was good booking, you understand nothing about wrestling. Tony sends you his love.

See how easy that was?
I responded the way you deserved.

Stick to WWE, it's about your level of quality it seems.

choccy77

:lol:

Russo is not with NXT. If you enjoy the show thats fair enough. And if you just want to see big guys squashing small guys, you're likely to continue enjoying it and the new faces that NXT pushes.
Only two people running NXT 2.0 is Vince and Bruce Pritchard.

Sylar

WTF has happened to this thread :lol:

Dynamite was 2 hours of great professional wrestling with great matches. Cant wait for Rampage.
The draw was the right move. I think theyve done 3 or 4 time limit draws in their history. They always always mention time limits for basically every match. So it wasnt just announced randomly (if youre watching Dynamite for the first time, and have been so used to WWE I can understand why that might be annoying though).
They certainly found a great way to have a rematch on PPV.

And I don't know why the commentators were suggesting that Danielson could've won with another minute when he didn't even apply the submission until after the bell.
Its because, they continued fighting when the bell rang, and kept fighting like the bell didnt ring, and within about 30 seconds, Danielson got the advantage and locked in the submission (and had to be saved by the Elite). I get what they were saying.

@SparkedIntoLife made me laugh :lol: Kudos. I dont think anybody would stop you from liking NXT or having that as your favourite show. But when you post in a forum, youre open to ridicule too for citing a match that has never happened as a reason for why you dont like another show (when there is 2 years worth of matches to actually pick legit examples)
Also

Regarding Russo, I heard this from my friend who is friends with a WWE executive and gets a lot right.
Ask him how the 1.5k people walking out was calculated. He must know the guy that text' Meltzer.

Doesn't matter. You can give the title to Punk later sometime in 2022. Like I said Bryan winning the title won't do much damage to Omega. Heck he can win it back in a month or two. And then you can even have hangman page return and beat Omega. I am not a fan of changing title too many times but in this case I wouldn't mind. You need to strike when the iron is hot and if you are not going to have your biggest assets in Bryan or Punk get the big one then you are just wasting their time.
I kinda get what youre saying, but it would be interesting to 'know' if Bryan or Punk winning the title for a month or two would do anything for AEW long-term. I wonder how that would be determined.
I think it might spoil the moment when Hangman beats Omega (as its more impressive for you to tbe the first person to beat the guy in over a year, instead of the second guy to beat him).

Sylar

AEW got 1.28m. Think its third highest in their history (2 of there 3 highest have been in the last month).
Deserved more, but steady growth for the show.

Part of the reason I wouldnt put the title on Punk/Bryan for a short reign. Think AEW has done so well by having good long reigns so far.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
AEW got 1.28m. Think its third highest in their history (2 of there 3 highest have been in the last month).
Deserved more, but steady growth for the show.

Part of the reason I wouldnt put the title on Punk/Bryan for a short reign. Think AEW has done so well by having good long reigns so far.
Bryan Alvarez: "Next week could be a massacre." His opinions are like his sources, full of shite.

Sylar

Bryan Alvarez: "Next week could be a massacre." His opinions are like his sources, full of shite.
Well it could have been had WWE not panicked, brought across Reigns and had him in two matches. Raw needed SDs top star and champion in two big matches

I'm pretty sure WWE didn't have reigns planned for weeks

Mystry

Friendship is magic
:lol: Russo involved in any major promotion is pretty far fetched at this point, no one is going to really touch him. Even Vince isn't that far gone.

Bryan/Omega was a good first opener for them to build on. Was always gonna be a weird finish, but like others have said, seemed mistimed and felt flat. FTR are great, Black is great but his shorts look cheap, should go back to his shiny trunks. Good show.

Ladron de redcafe

I responded the way you deserved.

Stick to WWE, it's about your level of quality it seems.
Grow up. You could easily flip that and apply it to yourself. My saying you know nothing about wrestling is what you deserved.

Only two people running NXT 2.0 is Vince and Bruce Pritchard.
There is nobody at WWE called Pritchard. You might mean have meant Bruce Prichard but evidently can't even spell his name despite googling who he is before your post.

Last edited:

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Grow up. You could easily flip that and apply it to yourself. My saying you know nothing about wrestling is what you deserved.

There is nobody at WWE called Britchard. You might mean have meant Bruce Prichard but evidently can't even spell his name despite googling who he is before your post.
Tells someone to grow up.

Immediately mocks someone else for spelling a name wrong (while spelling their misspelling wrong himself).

Annihilate Now!

Scout
Well WWE never actually say whether or not their matches even have time-limits (do they have time limits?), so really would come out of nowhere if they did iit.

But yeah, with it being established in NJPW and now AEW its a finish they can go to once or twice a year and (depending on the scenario) it'll work.... like I said before though, just not sure why they didn't make the crowd (and the wrestlers?) aware that the time limit was approaching.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
You guys realise that this isn't an actual sport right? You can just enjoy it for what it is regardless of what promotion it's on.

I find the constant bitchiness and zealotry quite tiring to wade through. Bunch of infants.

Ekeke

Well WWE never actually say whether or not their matches even have time-limits (do they have time limits?), so really would come out of nowhere if they did iit.

But yeah, with it being established in NJPW and now AEW its a finish they can go to once or twice a year and (depending on the scenario) it'll work.... like I said before though, just not sure why they didn't make the crowd (and the wrestlers?) aware that the time limit was approaching.
So Lance Storm brought up that he liked that because it didnt seem forced, it was just 2 guys still fighting at the end of 30 minutes. And then right after Bryan put the submission on, suggesting that if the match was a minute or two longer he might have won by submission.

I think either way is okay. You can do the exciting last 10 seconds as well, but we see that almost all the time (including in new japan) so sometimes its good to have something different as well

b82REZ

You guys realise that this isn't an actual sport right? You can just enjoy it for what it is regardless of what promotion it's on.

I find the constant bitchiness and zealotry quite tiring to wade through. Bunch of infants.
I treat it like the PS5 vs Xbox thread. A safe place for a bit of wummery.

Ekeke

Absolutely. Theres some good stuff to enjoy in so many different promotions. Theres also negative stuff in all of them too. None are perfect

Ladron de redcafe

Rarely, but they've done it. I remember a Shawn Michaels vs Kamala match ending in similar fashion, where Shawn was a second too late for the three count, and I suppose it wasn't bad.

Ekeke

Sabre Junior after defeating IWGP Heavyweight Champion Shingo Takagi in an upset in the G1 tournament

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
[

Bruce Prichard is how the name is spelt. Not sure what you're crying about here.
I'm not crying about anything.

Just thought it was funny that you told one poster to grow up, then immediately shat the bed because another had made a typo spelling Prichard.

Even funnier that you're still on one about it.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty

AEW have established it since the beginning, to be fair. Darby/Cody was a time limit draw back at Fyter Fest 2019.

The Hilton

Quite. I did think that as well.
It's a shame if true, as that would have been a much better finish. As it was, it fell pretty flat for me, still great fun as a match though.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
AEW have established it since the beginning, to be fair. Darby/Cody was a time limit draw back at Fyter Fest 2019.
Yeah. The only thing they did wrong was not have a time limit draw or two more recently on Dynamite or Rampage to keep the idea live.