Thomas Partey | SIGNED for Arsenal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dong Fangzhuo

Atletico play 4-4-2 almost always so there's no DM. He's the most defensive midfielder though
Ahh ok, don't watch much football outside the PL these days but prob should have known that still.

No idea if he's any good but I like the idea of a mobile destroyer covering for Pogba and another creative CM.

Cloud7

No idea if he's any good but I like the idea of a mobile destroyer covering for Pogba and another creative CM.
Agreed, this is what I imagine as well. Players like Carrick who are both defensively astute enough to hold down the midfield on their own, as well as be exceptional passers, are few and far between, and we shouldn’t try to shoehorn players into that role who aren’t up to scratch.

Instead get a destroyer in and play with two creative midfielders ahead of them. That’s exactly what I’m hoping for.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Agreed, this is what I imagine as well. Players like Carrick who are both defensively astute enough to hold down the midfield on their own, as well as be exceptional passers, are few and far between, and we shouldn’t try to shoehorn players into that role who aren’t up to scratch.

Instead get a destroyer in and play with two creative midfielders ahead of them. That’s exactly what I’m hoping for.
Yea, you could be stuck for years waiting for the next Carrick to build a midfield around. Barca probably just bought him anyways.

Gordon S

I'm surprised so few seem to rate this guy. He's not a highlights players by any means but a solid hardworking midfielder that keeps it simple. Would be a good addition to our squad.

We need a few different types of midfielders.

LiquidSnake

Honestly, a lot of incomprehension in this thread.

He was a limited (with potential) player in his first years in Atletico and then grew and grew more especially last season and this one.

I can't help but think people saw a ghanian player playing in midfield, first words are "limited", "no passing ability" or "destroyer" whereas he's anything of those. He's a pure 8, with a good engine, a good tactical awarness (he really stepped up in this area I think), a frightening strike in him and a nice eye for the between the lines passes. I think I see him as a less "blood & thunder" Matuidi but with way better pure technical abilities or maybe what Fred would be if Fred was actually a very good player performing.

Honestly go to an Atleti forum or on Atletico reddit or even Atletico instagram (or his) and you'll see how much he's valuated by Atletico fans, who wanted him to start in midfield (not Koke, not Saul) with Rodri since the start of the season. I think they will cause uproar if he leaves as he's seen as a "cantenaro" like Saul and Koke.

But I think it will be very hard for United to get him, 50 millions is a great price that a lot of teams should look into for a 26 years old midfielder entering his prime, but I have a feeling that if Simeone promise to make him a leader for a new look Atletico (and a new contract), he'll stay.

Reactions: Carolina Red

tieunhilang

But I think it will be very hard for United to get him, 50 millions is a great price that a lot of teams should look into for a 26 years old midfielder entering his prime, but I have a feeling that if Simeone promise to make him a leader for a new look Atletico (and a new contract), he'll stay.
Yeah, that's depressing. Even players at Atletico now see Manchester united as a step down and turn their noses on us. Dreadful time! :(

Cliche Guevara

His instinct seems to be to look for the quick forward pass, which I like.

I suspect Matic’s days might actually be numbered if we’re looking for someone quick, who can get the ball and immediately move it on to the more creative attacking players.

desertred87

Was impressive against barca tonight. Defensively strong, bags of energy and finds a quick pass, clear upgrade on Matic.

Champagne Football

He said on Cadena Cope last night that he fully intends to stay at Atletico. Quick dash back to the Ruben Neves and Saul Niguez threads so...

Raven

Was impressive against barca tonight. Defensively strong, bags of energy and finds a quick pass, clear upgrade on Matic.
Yup, miles better than Matic. Watched the game as well, was extremely surprised how fast he is.

Ahsan_6386

Yup, miles better than Matic. Watched the game as well, was extremely surprised how fast he is.
He was very good against Barca . Reminds me of Alex Song for some reason most probably because of his hairstyle . He is a physical player who seems to have good passing skill . Also he played well in the right back position too which can be an asset for us . I feel he will do well in EPL if we sign him up .

Lucky number 7

What's his passing like? Personally I want a Neves type midfielder. We lack players who can pass well since Carrick retired.
Mate I’ve wanted Neves for ages, loads of talent and lacking the ego that older more established players have. Youths the way forward at these hard times.

Inter Yer Nan

I think he's great at winning the ball and getting it moving quickly but wouldn't call him a top passer or nothing. In England the game moves faster and is more physical so I can see him standing it (even more) for his defensive prowess but don't expect someone to sit deep and make defense splitting passes. If we could find a balance of another midfielder perhaps Fernandes and Pogba then then that is a potentially great midfield and would probably cost about 100m.

I think Rodri is the player that sounds more unsettled and wanting to leave and I also think he's the better player and is about 4 years younger.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Football Ghana reported earlier today that we were gonna trigger the players release clause. No idea about how reliable they're.

Now Cope in Spain are saying he's in negotiations with EPL clubs and they're a good source normally.

Valar Morghulis

Supports
BBW
Football Ghana reported earlier today that we were gonna trigger the players release clause. No idea about how reliable they're.

Now Cope in Spain are saying he's in negotiations with EPL clubs and they're a good source normally.
Delicious player reminds me of the perfect all action box to box midfielder that Essien used to be, a perfect Mourinho style player. Hope this rumour has legs as he's a big improvement on Ander Hererra.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
If Cope are correct and he's in negotiations with PL clubs then we're obviously one club who would be in the mix. City are going for Rodri so probably not them. Chelsea have Kante and Jorginho. Liverpool seem fine in that department. Spurs or Arsenal?

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
Not seen enough of him but wasn't particularly impressed with his on the ball skills when I have seen him for Atletico.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
If Cope are correct and he's in negotiations with PL clubs then we're obviously one club who would be in the mix. City are going for Rodri so probably not them. Chelsea have Kante and Jorginho. Liverpool seem fine in that department. Spurs or Arsenal?
Everton, Wolves or Leicester also is very possible.

Does arsenal has enough money?

Think we will sign Gueye though .

Fer

How do you rate Thomas compared with Ndombele, Barella and Doucoure?

kaempen

Everton, Wolves or Leicester also is very possible.

Does arsenal has enough money?

Think we will sign Gueye though .
Why would he leave for any of these clubs? Only City and Liverpool would have a realistic chance, if they wanted him.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
With the timing of the news from Ghana football, seems likely it would be us....

deafepl

Partey? he's a version of Herrera despite his passing is really not better than Herrera and way quicker. The only midfielder I want from Atletico Madrid is Rodri, he's class, so calm and composed on the balls and has good defensive work rate. His passing is good, he is key to possession based and he looks like who could dominate the midfield.

Zlatattack

Sounds like the sensible sort of player we should be singing. Except to see him at Spurs or something.

InterFan1998

Supports
Internazionale
You guys would do a really good job of signing him. I'd love for my club (Inter) to sign him. I'm a big fan of Atletico due to Simeone and watch them consistently. Thomas is young and has huge potential. Imo, he's one of the few players that Simeone hasn't given the amount of playing time he deservers. The Spanish core tend to get more minutes (Rodri, Koke, Saul), but Thomas is an awesome player. Good defensively, has a good pass on him, and a rocket of a shot. He's a very dynamic, modern midfielder and would fit any team. I also think Atletico really missed him in the away match vs. Juventus.

Kearnkoff69

His ball skills are a bit uncultured but he is a physical beast. He would definitely suit a high energy, high pressing style of football, especially with a couple of midfield partners with silkier skills and playmaking ability next to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.