Throw ins | They seem to take forever.... and forever

LazyRed-Ninja

Dutchman, who could have chosen any tagline.
Somebody noticed this aswell ? It seems like its taking ages before we can find that free man. Could perhaps be just a silly claim of mine, but i have witnessed it three games in a row.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
The ballboys are probably apprehensive to give the ball back, because they know we'll make a bollocks of it. Rooney was pulled up on a foul throw. We got away with at least 2 more.

Foul throws are dumb anyway. You've thrown the ball back in. You've not gained an advantage from not throwing it properly. Who the feck cares?

montpelier

I thought there were a few foul throws knocking about too. Suppose there has to some kind of rule about they are taken to stop the 60 yard one armed launches and super quick flicks back into play and so on.

I had not noticed we are slow with them but will have to observe this closely next game now you've mentioned it, :(.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
The game is football - not "off the pitch throwball". All the time that the football is not actually on the pitch and in play - including the time taken to set up free-kicks, corners and goal-kicks - should be clocked by the 4th official (or whoever) and added onto (included in) injury time.

That would stop all time-wasting stone dead and give a proper 90 mins worth of actual football.

Theafonis

In love with @Eboue
Supports
Chelsea
It's especially annoying at away grounds against smaller teams. The fans never give back the balls all the while heckling the opposition team, and the ball boys take their sweet time, all just to time waste. QPR and West Ham are the best (worst?) in doing this sort of thing. Ref never even bothers to add time for all the time lost just to get the damn ball back. This sort of thing angers me because it's in poor spirit, and ruins the flow of a game -- makes it stop/start which is exactly what the smaller teams want.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Well yeah but then there's nothing to stop you throwing it miles like a goalie. Gotta have some rules man
Well yeah, obviously, but the one Rooney was pulled back for, it was a very stupid foul throw, but did it matter? He didn't give it a one handed launch. No advantage was gained from it. It was just a shit throw in.

As long as the ball is put back in to play with a two handed throw over the head, it seems pointless getting pernickety about what point over the head the ball was released from.

SirAF

Ageist
Somebody noticed this aswell ? It seems like its taking ages before we can find that free man. Could perhaps be just a silly claim of mine, but i have witnessed it three games in a row.
Yup, we're bloody terrible at them. Been going on for quite some time too.

Justin

Some players take a long time because they're slowly moving forward down the touchline. You'll notice the really good ones take the throw-in about 10 yards from where they started.

Morpheus 7

What a thread,throw ins taking too long next?I've seen it all here today,off to bed for me.

criticalanalysis

We let teams 'set' when we take our time with throw-ins and nobody gives an option fast enough (Herrera is brilliant at this). Set, meaning teams will have closed the 3 closest positions the player can throw a short ball to (left centre and right) and thus we often find Shaw/Darmian taking close to 10-15 seconds to find a player.

There's two simple ways to deal with this really:

1) Slowly walk to the ball as if you're gonna take your time but actually accelerate and take the throw as soon as you're near the ball; very often you will have an open pass. I know it sounds silly but try and notice it in a game. If you rush to the ball for a throw, you're initiating the move and if the other team isn't lazy, this is the catalyst for them to press and close the space.

2) There needs to be a team effort/philosophy on this, 1-2 options for the short throw, then another 1-2 behind that for the one-two with the thrower (Barca are great at this). E.g Darmian is the thrower, then you have your best one-touch/nimble players go to the ball like Mata/Herrera play it back to Shaw, if the opposition press, Darmian should have another option for a one-two with someone a bit further away or in another space away from Mata/Herrera, like Schneiderlin/Carrick/Rooney etc.

Again it's just finding the triangle but you must be wise when to initiate it and be ready for that change of pace from slow walk to throw in to having played 3-4 passes in the space of literally 2-3 seconds.

What a thread,throw ins taking too long next?I've seen it all here today,off to bed for me.
Actually I think it's a very important part of the game that needs to be addressed. Any stoppage in play is like a transition really and we should know how to react/play to it.

A poor/slow throw in can be the difference between being 'boxed in' to having the ball in the centre of the pitch with passing options.

Of course this mainly 'only' affects times when the game is being play at a high pace and/or the opposition is closing space really well. It doesn't happen every game but the speed of the game now means there are at least several occasions a game where, if you're just improvising on the throw, you've already lost several options.

Last edited:

RedStarUnited

Shaw is guilty of it the most, He seems to never want to trust someone who is marked. There was a throw in on Tuesday and he just didnt want to give it to Memphis who was right in front of him.

stevoc

The ballboys are probably apprehensive to give the ball back, because they know we'll make a bollocks of it. Rooney was pulled up on a foul throw. We got away with at least 2 more.

Foul throws are dumb anyway. You've thrown the ball back in. You've not gained an advantage from not throwing it properly. Who the feck cares?
Foul throws are the biggest nonsense in the modern game, as long you throw it back into play in a reasonable manner who gives a feck really outside of sad bastards.

That Spurs match last year where that fat Ref Moss pulled us up for 4-6 foul throws and was being fussy making players move back 2-3 feet (in their own half) made my fecking piss boil. cnut probably wasted 15-20 minutes of the match with that shit.

We should just have kick ins, kick it in along the ground back into play. Problem solved.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Foul throws are the biggest nonsense in the modern game, as long you throw it back into play in a reasonable manner who gives a feck really outside of sad bastards.

That Spurs match last year where that fat Ref Moss pulled us up for 4-6 foul throws and was being fussy making players move back 2-3 feet (in their own half) made my fecking piss boil. cnut probably wasted 15-20 minutes of the match with that shit.

We should just have kick ins, kick it in along the ground back into play. Problem solved.
Yeah. I thought of this the other day. Have it so kick ins have to be on the ground so nobody's lofting passes from the touchline. Also makes it easier to pass to a team mate who's very near. Throw ins to team mates less than a metre away is awkward to execute without risking a foul throw.

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
Actually I think our throw ins are much more effective these days. Rafael and Valencia were quite bad at it. I felt we were at a disadvantage when we "won" throw ins back then.

montpelier

OK, I didn't read that we were talking about kick ins along the ground - and while this seems an OK idea I still don't think it'd work.

Unless it's something like opposition must stay 10yds away and it's then like a free 'short' pass which gets laid back and then thumped into the box. Otherwise the area around the throw in is very congested with people like an old dropball thing, and/or there is that ref spray everywhere as he tries to organise a crucial restart.

Probably suit pub football for starting a load of fights over nothing.