Throwing away your silver medal

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
It's an interesting topic, and definitely can see the two sides of it.

You see Biles receive the bronze, and considering she is the GOAT in gymnastics she was ecstatic because of the circumstances and that's great. If she had gone the other way and looked miserable on the podium and put her medal away, there would have been a big wave of criticism at her I reckon.

Then you see Whittaker in boxing and England at the Euros taking them off, and to me it comes across that they felt they were entitled to the win and it's unjust that they came 2nd.

The first example is someone grateful for being on the podium, even when they are the best, and the 2nd is those who think they fully deserve the win but are ungrateful to be considered a winner over everyone bar one.

The Hilton

I never mentioned obnoxious it was the poster ahead of me said obnoxious.

I still think the classy thing to do is accept your medal with decorum and grace, there’s nothing you are going to say will change my mind on that.

Yes people will react differently to how a loss comes about and if that’s what they’re going to do so be it but I just don’t think it’s the correct way to conduct yourself especially with the eyes of the world on you.
The bit in bold is very clear! Haha

I think it's harsh to judge correctness based on something so insignificant, and I question if you'd be able to live up to those ideals given such a crushing victory in the most important match of your life (and the lives of the overwhelming majority of your country too), but I can see where you're coming from.

Anyway, thanks for the respectful disagreement, that's in rare supply on the caf nowadays.

Withnail

I never mentioned obnoxious it was the poster ahead of me said obnoxious.

I still think the classy thing to do is accept your medal with decorum and grace, there’s nothing you are going to say will change my mind on that.

Yes people will react differently to how a loss comes about and if that’s what they’re going to do so be it but I just don’t think it’s the correct way to conduct yourself especially with the eyes of the world on you.
I think the eyes of the world need to be a bit more forgiving. These people's lifelong dreams are on the line for our entertainment. I don't think it's fair to police their emotions and reactions too much.

Deery

Dreary
The bit in bold is very clear! Haha

I think it's harsh to judge correctness based on something so insignificant, and I question if you'd be able to live up to those ideals given such a crushing victory in the most important match of your life (and the lives of the overwhelming majority of your country too), but I can see where you're coming from.

Anyway, thanks for the respectful disagreement, that's in rare supply on the caf nowadays.
No problem, I don’t want to be insulting to you either because you seem like a nice guy and believe it or not I understand where you’re coming from too but just don’t agree on some points.

Deery

Dreary
I think the eyes of the world need to be a bit more forgiving. These people's lifelong dreams are on the line for our entertainment. I don't think it's fair to police their emotions and reactions too much.
It’s been a given for years that you behave in a certain manner in defeat as well as victory, if a gold medalist turned around and said in your face losers the world would react the same.

Call me old fashioned by I like to see sports men and women show grace in defeat rather that petulance.

Like how Cavani conducted himself compared to the rest of the United team.

Withnail

It’s been a given for years that you behave in a certain manner in defeat as well as victory, if a gold medalist turned around and said in your face losers the world would react the same.

Call me old fashioned by I like to see sports men and women show grace in defeat rather that petulance.
Obviously there are certain expected behaviours but I don't consider taking off the medal to be petulant.

And the in your face thing isn't a valid comparison.

Deery

Dreary
Obviously there are certain expected behaviours but I don't consider taking off the medal to be petulant.

And the in your face thing isn't a valid comparison.
I’m just giving an example of how a Gold medalist gloating would be seen as distasteful as well, I think it is valid.

I also think it is a bit petulant, there must have been hundreds of sportsmen down the years that were upset for losing but took their beatings and wore the medal as it’s the right way to conduct yourself.

Green_Red

Elite sports participants don't go out and train for a large proportion of their career to become the first losers. Why should they celebrate being second, when all they aim for is first? It defies logic to call them arrogant.
It's not about celebrating second, it's about showing some respect.