Tifo Football - Jose Mourinho & Tactical Periodisation

Zlatattack

I saw this video on youtube today about something called Tactical periodisation.

Basically it means training your team with tactics constantly in mind, so they are well rehearsed and drilled in what to do in certain situations. Apparently it's a favourite of Jose.

Do you think his Manchester United team looked like they knew what to do? I'm not sure they did. I also suspect a lot of footballers who aren't that sharp mentally wouldn't appreciate this sort of training.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Queiroz introduced that at Man Utd, and I think today all teams use it to some extent.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
More like Vítor Fraude! Am I right?

@Bojan11
Frade is not a fraud, and tatical periodization has to do with training methodology more than being offensive or defensive. It's well established for 15 years at least.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Frade is not a fraud, and tatical periodization has to do with training methodology more than being offensive or defensive. It's well established for 15 years at least.
It was a silly joke based on nothing but his name.

Teja

Do you think his Manchester United team looked like they knew what to do? I'm not sure they did. I also suspect a lot of footballers who aren't that sharp mentally wouldn't appreciate this sort of training.
Basically every single modern coach (even dinosaurs like Big Sam included) divide the game into the four phases (attack, offence -> defence transition, set defence, defence -> attack transition). Every single player is drilled on what to do during each phase of the game and I'd guess every single PL player is, by and large, capable of executing those instructions. Looking at the instructions in aggregate and understanding the game as a whole requires tactical intelligence but the average player just has to perform very mechanical / robotic movements like if ball goes from CB -> RB in the transition, go mark the opposing CM so he's not open to receive the pass.

Jose specifically likes his first XI to be always fit and tries to reduce the in-game workload on each player. He also prefers his set defence over pressing in transition because the press is a double edged sword - once it's beaten, you will end up giving clear chances to the opposition (e.g., RBL vs United 5-2 and the Southampton 9-0s). That sort of football is outdated at top clubs these days so when we watch his teams play it looks a bit shit.

EDIT: And yeah as others have mentioned, this is more about appropriate training loads for a player rather than what tactics specifically to use. e.g., it doesn't make sense to play 11v11s every single day of the week to prepare for a match on Saturday - you'd be burnt out or injured. So how much / what workloads to give to a player needs some thinking and this is a structured way to think about it.

Last edited:

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
That sort of football is outdated at top clubs these days so when we watch his teams play it looks a bit shit.

EDIT: And yeah as others have mentioned, this is more about appropriate training loads for a player rather than what tactics specifically to use
Precisely. There's a lot of confusion between training methodology and tactics. Brendan Rodgers was one of the first in the United Kingdom using that methodology (when he was at Chelsea for the first time Mourinho was there), and their football aproaches currently are way different. I dare to say the Mourinho between 2000 and 2005 was radically different on his approach than the current one, but that's other conversation.

https://spielverlagerung.com/2020/0...anding the Tactical Periodization Methodology

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
As @SCP stated and well, tactical periodization is a framework, it can be used in any team sport and any tactical system or philosphy. Everybody uses it nowadays, even Guardiola and Klopp, but they do't follow it religiously.

Mourinho takes it to the extreme by trying to apply periodization in every aspect of training.

It is actually being used in rugby, NBA, etc. He was invited to the USA to teach the sports cientists the idea behind this, and that's how he ended in NY Times
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/26/...ctions-and-soccers-most-magnificent-mind.html

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
As @SCP stated and well, tactical periodization is a framework, it can be used in any team sport and any tactical system or philosphy. Everybody uses it nowadays, even Guardiola and Klopp, but they do't follow it religiously.

Mourinho takes it to the extreme by trying to apply periodization in every aspect of training.

It is actually being used in rugby, NBA, etc. He was invited to the USA to teach the sports cientists the idea behind this, and that's how he ended in NY Times
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/26/...ctions-and-soccers-most-magnificent-mind.html
https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/344436-pepijn-lijnders-interview-porto

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica