Tifo Football: The Big Problem with Manchester United's Stadium

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Refurbishment is more expensive than building from the ground up. You have to work around existing services and limitations without upsetting the existing structure. When you start from the ground up, its theoretically like a giant lego set. To every cable tray and power point has been factored into consideration in a set of design plans. Just take pouring concrete for example. You have a blank slate. You're literally doing your pours as you work your way up.

Now factor Old Trafford and you're high up in the North Stand and you've got to pour 100 cubes of concrete to amend a stair case.... how do you get the concrete there? how do you work around the stand or concourse? what if youre doing demo and there's a cable... unbeknownst to you, this cable has been in place since 1950 and isn't documented on any existing plans? you have to stop work for a day while you get a surveyor in. He's charging 1000 quid a day. That builder that you have told him to sit idle. He's hitting you with 4-5k quid per day with his lads and thats not factoring in the added cost of delay to his contract that will probably get on later. On top of that you've got your project engineers, your architect that needs to come inspect, your sparkies sitting idle, you plumbers etc. All of that for one problem and thats one day of delay. Suddenly that 1 day of delay has just cost you 100k in delay costs and you're not ahead of where you were two days ago and thats one of 15 other problems that showed up that day.

Im not defending the glazers, but people seem to think that it's an easy fix and it really isn't.
All true. But low rent solutions breed low rent outcomes.

Move out of the stadium. Fcuk it, bring Manchester together, share with City for 24 months. Endure all the jokes and just do something properly.

Spend whatever it takes in a 1-2 year period and don’t just apply band aid solutions to problems that need surgery.

There are options available, however unpalatable. They just need a full end to end approach.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
If it was going to cost £750m just to do the South stand, I wonder how much it will be to do the whole stadium. To be honest, even Manchester United probably couldn't afford to do it.

It will likely exceed £1bn.

Honestly, if it was me making the decision, I think I'd just build a new stadium.

- It will be cheaper.
- You get rid of the rat problem, or at least minimise it. Clearing Old Trafford of them now will be an impossible task as you would have to tear it apart to get to them.
- All the stuff will obviously be new, so less concerns over its condition.
- Potential cheese room

Either way, it will take a loan to be able to do it, and it will hamper our spending on transfers etc. for a while.
Your talking about getting rid of rodents...only to slap in a cheese room.... counterproductive surely??!

Counterfactual

Buy the cricket ground (no-one cares, right? :devil:), build a new state-of-the-art stadium there and play at Old Trafford until New Trafford is ready. Sell off Old Trafford to recoup investment. Job done.

decorativeed

If it was going to cost £750m just to do the South stand, I wonder how much it will be to do the whole stadium. To be honest, even Manchester United probably couldn't afford to do it.

It will likely exceed £1bn.

Honestly, if it was me making the decision, I think I'd just build a new stadium.

- It will be cheaper.
- You get rid of the rat problem, or at least minimise it. Clearing Old Trafford of them now will be an impossible task as you would have to tear it apart to get to them.
- All the stuff will obviously be new, so less concerns over its condition.
- Potential cheese room

Either way, it will take a loan to be able to do it, and it will hamper our spending on transfers etc. for a while.
Firstly, all the reports say it's mice, not rats, but it doesn't matter. Regardless of the age of your building, if it's in a built up area, and near a canal, there will be rodents. Pretty much everywhere I've worked - stadia, shopping centres and museums - all have issues with rodents.

decorativeed

My only experience at OT was in section STH122 (South stands, last row right next to the corporate section) and I could not believe how cramped it was. My dad and I (both 6'0" tall and on the thin side) and we both had to sit at angles because our knees would not fit because the seat in front of us was so close. I know the South stands is not an ideal location for safe standing seats (fold up seats) but the space seems right for it. Curious to know if the rest of the stadium is like that.
Yes, it is. I'm under 6 foot, and I also have to sit sideways. Worst is when there's a chubby leg-spreader next to you!

red thru&thru

Just posting an article I put forward a few days ago on another thread. We need a solution in which everybody wins and can buy into. I felt it might be useful to consider against the new topic.

Improvements to the stadium will be very expensive and not cost effective. New build is the only solution.

Andy Burnham/ Boris Johnson and Manchester City Council should help to develop a ‘New’ Trafford. City got a stadium from the council, local development and jobs ensued. Manchester United is a world renowned name and synonymous with Manchester. For United to loose prestige Manchester loses as well. Let’s prove that Britain and Manchester can solve problems post pandemic and Brexit and deliver major infrastructure projects. Using Northern Powerhouse, Brexit Infrastructure, Covid regeneration, lottery money, world cup bidding money, Glazers money etc., It is currently the best ever political time. Greater minds than mine can come up with a package that all can buy into.

A larger stadium with hospitality, conference, hotel, community features, training facilites and possible housing all based on eco-friendly design would generate significant income, prestige for Manchester/ Britain and jobs. Glazers would have to give meaningful board representation to community and fans as a cost of such support. There could be no better time to achieve such a dream

It would mean that all parties would have to work together and some sacred cows would have to be slaughtered. Example, working with Glazers, naming rights of the stadium, moving the stadium away from its current location. Community use of the stadium and training facilities would also add to its attraction.

I am not underestimating the problems or political implications from this, but let’s prove that Britain and Manchester in particular is open for business and has a ‘can do’ mentality. Abroad Manchester is Manchester United whatever detractors might say and a successful united Manchester is best for all Mancunians and Britain.

What is the alternative, get the owners out, then what? Nobody can give a solution which offers guaranteed success, improvement in facilities, or longevity for our great club. This I believe offers the best chance, division will never work.
This solution is not out of the relms of reality and would help all parties!