Toaster Toes Timo Werner | Tottenham Player

GameOn

Kießling played pretty good that season. He was a bit like Müller as he had pretty good movement, got on the score sheet and was incredibly valuable in our pressing, so I would've thought you actually rated him.

Anyway, you can't compare Kießling to Werner. Werner is tiers ahead of Kießling technically and while Kießling was one of the slowest players in the Bundesliga, Werner is one of the fastest in the world.

It's also just wrong to claim he has nothing to offer besides his runs behind the last line. This is simply not true.
Müller offers much more than just being good at pressing and scoring goals. There is a reason why he has insane assist numbers, too.

Kießling was a solid player at his peak, but nothing more.

I strongly disagree about Werner being tiers ahead of Kießling in terms of technique. Werner's technique and first touch are actually some of his worst traits.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
21 games, 8 goals and 6 assists so far (barely any games playing upfront).

He's been much closer to a hit than a miss so far.

If people expected him to come in and tear the league up then of course they'll be disappointed.

GameOn

He said himself that the physicality of the PL has been harder than he thought it would be. I think he’s referring to getting less space and more contact with defenders from his comments.

He hasn’t been that bad for the fee though.
That's just typical Werner talk.

The PL might indeed have a different type of defending (usually teams don't play such a high line etc.) but him talking about the "insane physicality" etc. is just him trying to find excuses for his poor form, while twerking for a certain PL fanbase ("PL >>> all other leagues") by using old clichees.

It's the same thing like him twerking for Bayern and Liverpool a year ago. He knows how to brownnose.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Müller offers much more than just being good at pressing and scoring goals. There is a reason why he has insane assist numbers, too.

Kießling was a solid player at his peak, but nothing more.

I strongly disagree about Werner being tiers ahead of Kießling in terms of technique. Werner's technique and first touch are actually some of his worst traits.
I'm sorry but that's nonsense. Werner's touch especially at full speed is excellent. And his ball control while dribbling is, too. Werner is incredibly difficult to defend once he's gained pace with the ball at his feet.

Below is a compilation of all his Leipzig goals. There are some great plays in there - finishes and dribbles en masse. Your description of him is in conflict with that footage. Honestly, you've got a habit of belittling every German player who doesn't make his next move at Bayern.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool

If people expected him to come in and tear the league up then of course they'll be disappointed.
I almost never watch Chelsea, but those numbers are more than okay for someone playing his first season in the PL.

Djemba-Djemba

He was terrible yesterday but his numbers seem ok and it's far too early to write off any summer signings now to be honest.

Other than maybe Willian to Arsenal, that looks a shocker.

duffer

Scout
I almost never watch Chelsea, but those numbers are more than okay for someone playing his first season in the PL.
Especially when we are not struggling for goals (only Liverpool have scored more than us).

There are most certainly some agenda posters when it comes to Werner. It's kinda interesting to see.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He’s come from Germany where every team plays with a high line to England where 3/4 of the teams park the bus. He was never going to hit the ground running, it takes time to adapt to the PL for most players. Judge him this time next year.

Moby

Dick

He hasn't scored for 9 club games now while missing absolute sitters and doing sweet feckall otherwise. As a rival fan it's great to see him start for Chelsea.

GameOn

I'm sorry but that's nonsense. Werner's touch especially at full speed is excellent. And his ball control while dribbling is, too. Werner is incredibly difficult to defend once he's gained pace with the ball at his feet.

Below is a compilation of all his Leipzig goals. There are some great plays in there - finishes and dribbles en masse. Your description of him is in conflict with that footage. Honestly, you've got a habit of belittling every German player who doesn't make his next move at Bayern.

The good old youtube highlights, still the best way to judge a players technical abilities. Every single national team level player has a highlight tape on youtube, that makes him look like a worldbeater and technical prodigy. I actually watch full games and rate players based on that.

As for your Bayern comment: It certainly looks this way, yes, and I fully admit that I don't rate Kroos or Werner nearly as high as others do. Mind you, Bayern's board didn't really rate them this high either, which is why they let Kroos walk and didn't even try to sign Werner.

It has nothing to do with me fanboying for Bayern or anything. I admire how their club is run, but that's where it stops. It just happens that me and their board seem to think alike in a lot of cases.

duffer

Scout
He hasn't scored for 9 club games now while missing absolute sitters and doing sweet feckall otherwise. As a rival fan it's great to see him start for Chelsea.
He's getting assists from out wide and our centre forwards are scoring so it's not a huge issue for me.

Martial has 3 goals in 15 games for you this season. Am I glad to see him starting for you? Not really as I know he contributes in other ways, same as Werner does for us.

Handré1990

That's just typical Werner talk.

The PL might indeed have a different type of defending (usually teams don't play such a high line etc.) but him talking about the "insane physicality" etc. is just him trying to find excuses for his poor form, while twerking for a certain PL fanbase ("PL >>> all other leagues") by using old clichees.

It's the same thing like him twerking for Bayern and Liverpool a year ago. He knows how to brownnose.
I have to say, you’re a strange dude. How you’ve concocted this idea about Werner running around shaking his hips and behind in the faces of fans, and clubs he apparently wants to join, is strange, to put it mildly. The whole tone is off tbh.

Did he do something to offend you?

Moby

Dick
He's getting assists from out wide and our centre forwards are scoring so it's not a huge issue for me.

Martial has 3 goals in 15 games for you this season. Am I glad to see him starting for you? Not really as I know he contributes in other ways, same as Werner does for us.
Yeah sorry but having pretty much watched all of your games so far he has simply failed to deliver when it mattered. As I mentioned above he only gets involved against teams which play a high line and allow him a lot of space behind hence there being no surprise in him doing well against a team like Soton. Otherwise it's always when you are already leading with him having done absolutely nothing till the point the opposition start throwing players forward again opening up space for him which is exactly what happened last night. You lead via a set piece and until the last 20 odd minutes the only thing he did was as usual miss an absolute sitter and otherwise fluffing around in non threatening positions. He has good pace and work rate but as far as his dribbling, passing, control and link up goes it's been pretty below par. I mean it's fine having that kind of contribution from an average hardworking player but surely you would want one of your primary signings to be a lot more involved and as someone who has goalscoring as one of his main assets not go 9 odd games without a single goal. :lol:

The Martial comparison is apt as apart from a couple of games he has been nowhere near his expected level this season which is why a huge part of our fans want a proper number nine and even want Cavani to play instead of him if he keeps missing sitters like he has done. That's a pretty weak comparison to be honest.

thatsme

Even the very best strikers can miss a sitter or not score in a game where they could easily have scored 4 or 5. But they don't miss easy chances game after game after game.
His alll round game is poor and half the time he looks like he couldn't dribble past a traffic cone.
Having said that, nobody can accuse him of not trying or hiding.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
The good old youtube highlights, still the best way to judge a players technical abilities. Every single national team level player has a highlight tape on youtube, that makes him look like a worldbeater and technical prodigy. I actually watch full games and rate players based on that.

As for your Bayern comment: It certainly looks this way, yes, and I fully admit that I don't rate Kroos or Werner nearly as high as others do. Mind you, Bayern's board didn't really rate them this high either, which is why they let Kroos walk and didn't even try to sign Werner.

It has nothing to do with me fanboying for Bayern or anything. I admire how their club is run, but that's where it stops. It just happens that me and their board seem to think alike in a lot of cases.
Man, this is a sample set of almost a hundred goals. It's not a selective collection but a wholistic one. And this video doesn't even include highlights that didn't lead to a goal or even assists.

Also, if you see his first touch at full speed, his ball control while tempo dribbling and some of his difficult finishes, I can't understand how you could argue he's a pace merchant. This simply doesn't add up. He's better in those things than Müller e. g. which doesn't diminish your opinion of the latter and it makes your opinion even weirder. Kroos comes on top of that - I mean, what the hell? He's like the prototype midfielder in the system Bayern plays.

Your criticism is also quite harsh. A lot of players would struggle coming into that Chelsea team right now. They lack automatisms and obviously many of the new players have to settle in first.

duffer

Scout
The Martial comparison is apt as apart from a couple of games he has been nowhere near his expected level this season which is why a huge part of our fans want a proper number nine and even want Cavani to play instead of him if he keeps missing sitters like he has done. That's a pretty weak comparison to be honest.
Apt comparison or weak comparison?

I'll take your first answer!

Judas

Open to offers
He'll adapt and be a great signing long term. It's early day. He's just simply not lethal in front of goal, but gets plenty of chances per game to make up for it.

GameOn

Man, this is a sample set of almost a hundred goals. It's not a selective collection but a wholistic one. And this video doesn't even include highlights that didn't lead to a goal or even assists.

Also, if you see his first touch at full speed, his ball control while tempo dribbling and some of his difficult finishes, I can't understand how you could argue he's a pace merchant. This simply doesn't add up. He's better in those things than Müller e. g. which doesn't diminish your opinion of the latter and it makes your opinion even weirder. Kroos comes on top of that - I mean, what the hell? He's like the prototype midfielder in the system Bayern plays.

Your criticism is also quite harsh. A lot of players would struggle coming into that Chelsea team right now. They lack automatisms and obviously many of the new players have to settle in first.
You obviously have your opinion about him and I have mine. The way this discussion is going neither one will change their stance, so for me this one is over.

el_loco_bielsa

Supports
liverpool
I think it’s far too early to pass judgement on Werner.

He’s still adapting to the league and hasn’t done too poorly in terms of numbers (he’s certainly got far superior numbers to sane at Bayern who I think we can agree was one of the most effective players in this league and has thus far completely bombed at Bayern).

It’s good fun laughing at all the misses but in all honesty I think he’ll turn into a very effective inverted winger in this league because simply put he has the attributes to succeed here.

The one I would be concerned about if I was a Chelsea fan would be havertz.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
You obviously have your opinion about him and I have mine. The way this discussion is going neither one will change their stance, so for me this one is over.
Come on, that's a cheap cop out. You claimed that he's got nothing except for pace and I provided you with evidence to the contrary. Do you really think his tempo dribbling and first touch at pace is average despite the footage I showed? This isn't a once in a while occurence, he scored and assisted so many goals that way. Werner actually has quite a number of stunning solo goals speaking for him.

DRM

So is be a CF or a wide forward? I was under the impression he was the former but it seems he's been pushed out wide to compensate for his lack of finishing

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
So is be a CF or a wide forward? I was under the impression he was the former but it seems he's been pushed out wide to compensate for his lack of finishing
When I listen to Werner speak about how he plays, he almost describes a hybrid role containing bits of wide forward, attacking mid and striker. He played in a very specific system in Leipzig and so far Lampard seems to have shoved him out wide to either fill in for injured players or accommodate a more conventional CF in the 433. He also happens to just be going through a rough period at the moment. From what Zehner was saying last summer, he seems to be a very streaky player who can go a period without scoring, then catch fire.

cyberman

Come on, that's a cheap cop out. You claimed that he's got nothing except for pace and I provided you with evidence to the contrary. Do you really think his tempo dribbling and first touch at pace is average despite the footage I showed? This isn't a once in a while occurence, he scored and assisted so many goals that way. Werner actually has quite a number of stunning solo goals speaking for him.
To he fair hes judging what he sees by watching full games, I cant see how YouTube clips is a better way of evaluating him?
I could post many a clip that shows Lukaku as an awesome, powerful striker who glides past players but then you watch him..

Moby

Dick
To he fair hes judging what he sees by watching full games, I cant see how YouTube clips is a better way of evaluating him?
I could post many a clip that shows Lukaku as an awesome, powerful striker who glides past players but then you watch him..
That would be a perfectly valid and reasonable argument with 99.9999% of people who watch football, but you've happened to put it across to someone who actually rates Lukaku as a world class striker. :lol:

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
There are some that are mentioning that Bayern rejected Werner, and that is an indicator of his lack of quality.

I initially thought that as well but today in the Bundesliga podcast on The Athletic, Honeigstein mentioned that Hansi Flick really wanted to sign Werner and not Sane. The Bayern management though were fixated on signing Sane, since last season, even if Flick was not very keen. Flick valued Werner for his combination of quality, versatility and most importantly work rate, which have been evident from the start at RB. Would be interesting to see in the long term whether Sane works for Flick, initial signs aren't good but they can certainly change.

Last edited:

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
That would be a perfectly valid and reasonable argument with 99.9999% of people who watch football, but you've happened to put it across to someone who actually rates Lukaku as a world class striker. :lol:
You really shouldn't speak about reasonable arguments. I'm not talking about dating Megan Fox or travelling to Mars either.

I'm obviously not judging him on YouTube-Videos since I've seen hours of Werner live. But how do you want me to prodive evidence of a player's technical abilities if not through actual footage? I mean, if I'd say Rashford is a pure pace merchant (which he isn't, obviously) and was totally ignorant to all of your arguments, how would you prove me wrong if not through video material?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
:lol:

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
His confidence looks shattered. He's still working really hard though and good to see him get the assist at least yesterday after a rough game. Don't think he's really a winger and we're struggling to play him in his best position because of how we play.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
I doubt he'll ever get rid of this trait of his - missing easy chances
Last year despite scoring so many goals had games like these

hmchan

His confidence looks shattered. He's still working really hard though and good to see him get the assist at least yesterday after a rough game. Don't think he's really a winger and we're struggling to play him in his best position because of how we play.
IIRC many have expected him to play on the wing before he joins. He lacks the quality to play as a lone striker and he never looks capable of leading the line.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
I doubt he'll ever get rid of this trait of his - missing easy chances
Last year despite scoring so many goals had games like these

Yep, and he still outperformed his xG for that season. One major positive about him is his workrate and energy doesn't stop even if his finishing is off, so he creates many chances for himself with his movement.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Yep, and he still outperformed his xG for that season. One major positive about him is his workrate and energy doesn't stop even if his finishing is off, so he creates many chances for himself with his movement.
In 20 odd games for Chelsea so far, he's shown quite an impressive knack for creating chances or getting into goal scoring positions himself despite clearly having a rough time of it when it comes to finishing chances. He can look quite clunky and uncoordinated sometimes but 14 goals and assists in 21 games during what many would describe as an underwhelming start to the season shows him in a really good light for me.

It's also really interesting what you said about Flick preferring Werner over Sane. Cheers for the heads up. I'll look up the podcast.

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
There are some that are mentioning that Bayern rejected Werner, and that is an indicator of his lack of quality.

I initially thought that as well but today in the Bundesliga podcast on The Athletic, Honeigstein mentioned that Hansi Flick really wanted to sign Werner and not Sane. The Bayern management though were fixated on signing Sane, since last season, even if Flick was not very keen. Flick valued Werner for his combination of quality, versatility and most importantly work rate, which have been evident from the start at RB. Would be interesting to see in the long term whether Sane works for Flick, initial signs aren't good but they can certainly change.
Werner has been available for a while but Bayern didnt just want him, Below was the reason Bayern did not sign him.

"However, we have Robert Lewandowski. Robert is a striker who fits our style of play perfectly.
"Robert has the ability to orientate himself in a tight space, the technical ability to move in tight spaces and to find extraordinary solutions with the ball.

"With his speed, Timo Werner needs more room, which he had in the system that Leipzig played. The system at RB has now changed, but it is still not as tight at the front as it is with us."

Werner looks like he depends a lot on his pace, while Sane depends a lot on pace too, he is better than Werner in tight spaces which I agree with

Sane is coming from a season long injury and Werner from his best ever career season both currently have similar Goals/assist per minute

duffer

Scout
Werner has been available for a while but Bayern didnt just want him, Below was the reason Bayern did not sign him.

"However, we have Robert Lewandowski. Robert is a striker who fits our style of play perfectly.
"Robert has the ability to orientate himself in a tight space, the technical ability to move in tight spaces and to find extraordinary solutions with the ball.

"With his speed, Timo Werner needs more room, which he had in the system that Leipzig played. The system at RB has now changed, but it is still not as tight at the front as it is with us."

Werner looks like he depends a lot on his pace, while Sane depends a lot on pace too, he is better than Werner in tight spaces which I agree with

Sane is coming from a season long injury and Werner from his best ever career season both currently have similar Goals/assist per minute
Bayern don't want to replace Lewandowski with Werner? Of course they don't, he's the best player in the world, they wouldn't swap him for Ronaldo or Messi either!

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
Bayern don't want to replace Lewandowski with Werner? Of course they don't, he's the best player in the world, they wouldn't swap him for Ronaldo or Messi either!
Bayern was not going to replace Lewandoski, Werner would have been a wing forward option opposite Gnabry but Sane was picked over him because at Bayern you won't get a lot of space to run into, but have to manage the tiny spaces, Werner is always more comfortable when he has space to run into

Robbie Boy

I think he's a class act and he's still adapting to the PL. Unfortunately I think Chelsea have gotten themselves a gem here who'll become an integral part of their team.

Havertz on the other hand. Sheesh, looks like proper flop material.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Bayern was not going to replace Lewandoski, Werner would have been a wing forward option opposite Gnabry but Sane was picked over him because at Bayern you won't get a lot of space to run into, but have to manage the tiny spaces, Werner is always more comfortable when he has space to run into
The podcast mentioned that Flick wanted Werner, so whichever way he was going to be played, Flick preferred to have him than Sane.

The quote you mentioned was from Salihamizic and therefore does not go against what Honigstein said. Flick wanted Werner but the Bayern management wanted Sane.

Sane is better than most footballers in tight spaces but there are many other things to consider for Flick, especially given his high intensity/high workload system. Werner doesn't match Sane in close situations but certainly has other advantages over him in other factors that Flick might have valued more.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
When you watch full games normally though are you particularly focusing on one player? Personally I can watch matches and matches where someone is featured and only really notice oppo players if they do something to particularly stand out.