Titanfall 2 - Open Beta available for XOne/PS4

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
I know for a lot of people on here, Titanfall 2 is a completely new experience and with it on PS4 we might actually get a lot more interest than the last one. I'm always seeing posts ammounting to 'feck this space/jet pack bullshit, I want old school WW2' which I appreciate as the genre has become fatigued lately. However, Titanfall 1 did it better than any before or since. The traversal feels incredible - it's accessible in that it's easy to be good but very hard to master, but once you master there isn't a traversal system in gaming (that I've played) that feels more satisfying.

Multiplayer trailer

Single Player trailer

Alock1

Here's a Single Player preview from Jack Frags - sounds really promising, they tried to avoid set-piece after set-piece, it's not 'quite as linear as you may think' and they've introduced puzzling.

Remember, this is from the core team who made COD 4.

Adzzz

Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner
Staff
That multiplayer trailer is very impressive, the movement in particular looks to be good and the visuals are very nice. It has my interest.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
It might be very good but it's coming around the same time as new COD and Battlefield 1 which is very inconvenient.

Alock1

It might be very good but it's coming around the same time as new COD and Battlefield 1 which is very inconvenient.
I think it'll be much better than the new COD. The last one was better than the last 5 or so CODs atleast.

COD4 makes it somewhat inconvenient for me, but they'll complement eachother nicely.

Red Bug

Battlefield 1 looks immense as well. I know what I'll be getting. I know @Alock1 already pointed out that a lot of gamers are totally bored of robots/jet packs etc but I have to reiterate, I just can't be doing with it anymore.

Give me back some real guns and old skool planes :drool:

Sarni

Battlefield 1 looks immense as well. I know what I'll be getting. I know @Alock1 already pointed out that a lot of gamers are totally bored of robots/jet packs etc but I have to reiterate, I just can't be doing with it anymore.

Give me back some real guns and old skool planes :drool:
Yep Battlefield 1 is my FPS for this year too.

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool
They've really killed any chance of this doing well by releasing it around BF1 and COD, I'll be getting Battlefield 1 for sure but might think about getting this when there's a bit of breathing space, October-December is usually really busy for gaming releases

Coxy

They've really killed any chance of this doing well by releasing it around BF1 and COD, I'll be getting Battlefield 1 for sure but might think about getting this when there's a bit of breathing space, October-December is usually really busy for gaming releases
Depends how it reviews. This is Respawn - the original masters! I have a good feeling...

Alock1

Nah. The first was quality, and with a single player and generally more content and some refinements then I expect this to get very good reviews. It's from a great team with a brilliant track record.

It'll sell 10m without a problem I think.

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool
Depends how it reviews. This is Respawn - the original masters! I have a good feeling...
Nah. The first was quality, and with a single player and generally more content and some refinements then I expect this to get very good reviews. It's from a great team with a brilliant track record.

It'll sell 10m without a problem I think.
Oh I've no doubt of Respawns calibre, but Battlefield 1 has tons of hype at the moment and then the COD Juggernaut right after it's release might swallow sales off people who might only be able to get one (Or two) of the three, if you know what I mean.

I do hope it does well though, and If I can get two FPS games this year I'd be choosing this over COD anyday.

Alock1

They will definitely have an effect on it no doubt, but I still think it should do well.

If not, shame. Cause the first one was great but lacked content and the whole Playstation crowd missed out on it, and if this one fixes that it should be great.

Alock1

Managed to snag an early access code and played about 5/6 games of the 8v8 pilot only mode yesterday.

Gotta say, I'm a little disappointed.

In comparison to Titanfall 1, the gameplay is a little more COD than Titanfall. The characters are a little heavy/clunkier, but most importantly the maps are completely counter-intuitive to what made the first game fun - the traversal. It's very hard to bounce between walls/buildings because there aren't enough of them and they aren't close together. Far too often I'm in the open with nothing to bounce off. The grapple hook helps a little with this as you can reel yourself closer to objects, but combo-ing is still difficult and it's a shame that rather than being core and available to everyone, a key function of the traversal in this game (grapple hook) is a perk, completely limiting your options. The time to kill is very low, it's not quite hardcore but you die quick if you're not moving - which would be fine, if moving wasn't so difficult.

The maps are definitely the biggest issue, and there's a chance the full game could prove me wrong but I haven't got high hopes.

Yet to plan the mode that has titans so can't comment, though I expect the lack of a regenerating shield takes a lot of the intelligence out of titans and makes them simply power-ups to take advantage of as quick as possible rather than an alternative way of playing. If you were playing, you could make a titan last a lifetime on the old one if you knew to run before your shield was down, avoiding any damage to your actual health.

It's funny - on it's own, I reckon this will probably be better than the new COD. Ironically, I think the inclusion of COD4 will be a big bite in Titanfall's sale as it makes the choice so much easier. Much be sore knowing that your own legacy is going to help feck you over.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Didn't really enjoy the first, due to me being shit at FPS games online, doubt I'll bother with this either, may give the beta a whirl.

Alock1

Didn't really enjoy the first, due to me being shit at FPS games online, doubt I'll bother with this either, may give the beta a whirl.
You enjoy Fifa despite being shit though

Nickosaur

Got great memories of playing the first. One of my favourite online games I've played. Haven't really paid much attention to this though, would definitely be interested in picking it up if it.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
I absolutely loved Titanfall and was actually really good at it.
It died pretty quick though because none of my friends had this, and while playing along was ok, it just got a bit boring after awhile.

Will give the demo a go tomorrow but I just don't think I'll end up getting the game

JackXX

Probably need to play it more but not sure on it in my initial few games. Not sure what they're going for with these maps. Seems totally against what the first game was all about and ends up playing more like your standard shooter.

Edit: it's a pretty bizarre move tbh. We've had all these FPS games trying to copy Titanfalls gameplay without succeeding and the game that does it best goes in the direction of being more like futuristic COD games that most people have disliked.

Last edited:

Bojan11

Lots of negative feedback on the beta. The game comes out during a tough period where Gears, BF and COD 4 come out. So they needed to get the beta right.

I also wouldn't stop playing Overwatch for this.

@Alock1 you are deluded if you think it will sell 10m. It's one of those game that will sell well on release, but that's about it. The first one had buzz because it was a Xbox exclusive and respawns first game.

This time next year they'd be giving it away free on EA access.

Alock1

Lots of negative feedback on the beta. The game comes out during a tough period where Gears, BF and COD 4 come out. So they needed to get the beta right.

@Alock1 you are deluded if you think it will sell 10m. It's one of those game that will sell well on release, but that's about it. The first one had buzz because it was a Xbox exclusive and respawns first game.

I'd probably agree after playing it. If the first one had hit both consoles and pc it definitely would have and then some..

I don't think 10m was impossible though had it lived up to many peoples expectations. A strong beta showing and reviews of around 85+ and I reckon it'd have a good chance.

JackXX

This nails it for me. Very unlikely but hope it gets delayed.

Jep

Somewhere between Manchester and the shithole

I only played a quick game and then went back to the division. Think I'll be hammering MW:remaster instead (provided thats not been fecked up)

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool
So the feedback on this game has been pretty overwhelmingly disappointing from players of the original game and it seems Respawn have been taking note:

Over this past weekend, we’ve heard a lot of passionate feedback from Titanfall fans. Even though the Tech Test build is a couple months old, we learned some valuable things based on your feedback. Some of these changes have already been addressed and will be updated for weekend two of the tech test, with other changes making it into the final game.

Pilot Mobility

Many players are wondering why we changed the mobility from Titanfall 1. We identified two major issues we wanted to solve in Titanfall 2. The first is that a lack of player predictability would often cause players to be shot from the back or sides. While flanking is an important part of gameplay death often felt random instead of skillful. The second issue is that close range firefights were overly chaotic due to erratic player movement. So, changes to pilot mobility stemmed from a desire to improve our gunplay, and not a desire to slow down movement.

We’ll be tuning air speed and wall-running speed to be faster.

While investigating this point, we discovered some unintended side effects that were causing players to lose momentum while wallrunning.

Players should once again accumulate and retain more speed when chaining wallruns.

Additionally, we’re testing scaling back some of the dampening factors that were limiting bunny-hopping as we don’t want these restrictions to impact normal traversal.

Titan Meter

We made some changes in Titanfall 2 with the goal of rewarding players for playing game mode objectives. However, we observed the problem that players can try to play the objective but fail, resulting in slower than intended Titan acquisition. We still want objectives to be the fastest way to get a Titan, but the goal of every player being guaranteed a Titan per match hasn’t changed.

Pilots will once again acquire a small passive amount of Titan meter every few seconds.

Map Design

Some of our Tech Test players have asked if the relatively flat and open design of Homestead is indicative of a new direction for Titanfall, and the answer is no. When designing maps, we strive to make them unique experiences. For example, Homestead changes things up by creating islands of Pilot gameplay where long-range weapons can be effective. This upcoming weekend a new map, Forwardbase Kodai, will be available for play. There is a wide variety of maps for the final game.

We’ll be showcasing more maps over the next couple weeks on our website, including more traditional Titanfall maps.

Thanks again very much for participating in the first weekend of the Tech Test. We’re looking forward to hearing from more of you this weekend, as these tests are amazingly helpful in ensuring we have a successful launch. As you can see, your feedback is already being heard and impacting the final game, and we’ll be posting the updates for weekend two in our forums later this week: https://forums.titanfall.com/en-us/c...s/game-updates. I also encourage you to read Jon “Slothy” Shiring’s blog on feedback we’ve received from the tech test in regards to server stability, you can check it out here http://www.titanfall.com/en_us/news/...est-successes/.

More at the link: http://www.titanfall.com/en_us/news/...-and-feedback/

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool
So after reviewing very well and the single player campaign getting a ton of praise this has sold less than a quarter on all platforms than Titanfall 1 on xbox1.
[Week 43, 2016] 04 (NE) TITANFALL 2 (ELECTRONIC ARTS) < 52,000

Xbox One (57%) < 30,000
PlayStation 4 (41%) < 21,000
PC (2%) < 1,000

[Week 11, 2014] XBO TITANFALL (ELECTRONIC ARTS) - 118,000 / NEW
[Week 11, 2014] PC TITANFALL (ELECTRONIC ARTS) - 7,000 / NEW
[Week 15, 2014] 360 TITANFALL (ELECTRONIC ARTS) - 28,000 / NEW
EA really dropped the ball on the release date for this, sandwiched right in the week betwen Battlefield 1 and COD it had no chance. hopefully it has legs and word of mouth will mean alot of people will pick it up at a later date. Hoping to get it myself later if it's not completely dead by then.

Jep

Somewhere between Manchester and the shithole
So after reviewing very well and the single player campaign getting a ton of praise this has sold less than a quarter on all platforms than Titanfall 1 on xbox1.

EA really dropped the ball on the release date for this, sandwiched right in the week betwen Battlefield 1 and COD it had no chance. hopefully it has legs and word of mouth will mean alot of people will pick it up at a later date. Hoping to get it myself later if it's not completely dead by then.
Is that from NeoGaf? As it has been updated to state that TF1 numbers were for a week whilst TF2 was for a single day. Even so, they are pretty low numbers. Also to note the <52,000 is a maximum so it could have flopped a bit more.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1304003

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool
Is that from NeoGaf? As it has been updated to state that TF1 numbers were for a week whilst TF2 was for a single day. Even so, they are pretty low numbers. Also to note the <52,000 is a maximum so it could have flopped a bit more.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1304003
Yeah thats where I got the info from. How could EA not see this coming? Its mainly the developers who i feel bad for when stuff like this happens. I'd definitely be interested in this if it wasnt coming out in such a packed month for games, and releasing a week either side of the two main fps behemoths is pretty insane on EA's part.

JackXX

I didn't really like the beta but I've seen people saying it's the best FPS campaign this gen. Think I'll get it around Christmas time if there's a good discount.

EA and Respawn couldn't have done a worse job with this with the release date/marketing decisions and they have probably killed the franchise.

When it was an Xbox exclusive it was released at a quiet time of year and had a huge push from Xbox. This time it's just been sandwiched into a period that had Gears 4, Battlefield and COD with v little marketing push.

Also why not put it on EA Access like every other EA game? After having a beta that people generally didn't like it might be a good idea to let people see that they have fixed things?

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool
As for releasing so close to COD: Infinite Warfare, a game which had a special edition that was bundled with COD: Modern Warfare - a game Zampella created - the Respawn CEO had this to say: "It definitely feels a little odd," he says in an interview with Glixel.

"Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare is from my old studio, that I built. And they're repackaging my old game that I built, on a brand that I built. So it's kind of like you're throwing it all against me. OK, I can live with it."

Zampella is then asked how he felt about Titanfall 2 releasing a week after EA's WW1 shooter, Battlefield 1. "If the question was, 'Would I rather have this window to myself?' Well, of course," he says. "I'm not foolish. I'm not foolish that way, anyway. In other ways, probably."

The release window was known by Respawn in advance, but "the exact timing", they didn't know that, he reveals.
Glixel also ask whether Respawn were worried, going up against Battlefield 1, if EA could show them enough publishing support while also marketing their own shooter. "It's always a concern," Zampella says in response. "That's what I'll say. Especially when you have two games on top of each other."

And, sadly, after all this, Titanfall's future seems uncertain. "We don't know yet," replies Zampella when asked if they would make a third Titanfall. "The game is, critically, a huge success. We're really happy with all the reviews and the positive sentiment. Sales, it's too early to tell.

"We'd definitely like to tell more of the story and the universe. I think it's pretty safe to assume that we'll explore more of it. EA might have announced more. Devin?"
At this point, Devin Bennett, a publicist for EA, interjects, "What we've said is we're committed to the franchise."

"So, whatever the f*** that means," retorts the Respawn CEO

GBBQ

Going on the playstation store for 43% off, was wondering why such a new game was going cheap so that explains it!

Ady87

Absolutely no idea why they would release this in the window they have. Shambles. It had a real chance to deliver when COD/Gears/BF died down but they released it right in the thick of it!

Sarni

Yeah the window to release this should be around March when no other major titles are coming out, or even the same period as now (Autumn) but in 2017 when there is no Battlefield. They are eating into the same consumer base and inevitably Battlefield will have more people buying.

They could not really avoid releasing this in the same year as new Call of Duty as that shit is coming out every single year these days.

Ainu

EA seriously fecked them over. Why on earth would EA release two heavily multiplayer-oriented, AAA FPS titles in one week? By all accounts Titanfall 2 seems to be the superior game but regardless of quality it never stood a chance against the commercial powerhouse that is Battlefield. It's a massive feck up.

GBBQ

Yeah the window to release this should be around March when no other major titles are coming out, or even the same period as now (Autumn) but in 2017 when there is no Battlefield. They are eating into the same consumer base and inevitably Battlefield will have more people buying.

They could not really avoid releasing this in the same year as new Call of Duty as that shit is coming out every single year these days.
Titanfall being an xbox exclusive can't have helped either. PS4 Players were more likely to flock to the old reliables.

Zen

Gonna be £25 at HMV Friday or some point this week I believe. I'm gonna get it I think,

Marcelinho87

Bought this for £26.65 on PC. Only played the campaign so far but its been great! I will divide time between this and Battlefield 1.

Alock1

Single player is fantastic. Best fps campaign in a long time.

Haven't jumped into the multi yet. Loved the 1st but didn't like the changes when I tested the beta. Will try again though.

Neelu

Likes to eat cement and rubber but not boogers
That cause and effect mission was something else. The campaign is really well done.