To you Nordic people (and everyone else with a good knowledge of the Nordic international teams)

lysglimt

Scout
I started thinking if we put together a Nordic squad - would that team be able to compete with the best teams in the world - so if you create a first 11 + 7 subs - with the following requirements: a) Every 5 major countries (Iceland, Finland, Sweden, Denmark and Norway) need to at least have 1 starting player and b) All 5 countries need a minimum of 2 players in the squad.

What would the squad and the starting line-up be - and how would you rate the side against the best countries in the world ?

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Hradecky
Sampsted - Andersen - Christiansen - Mæhle
Højbjerg
- Aursnes
Ødegaard

Kulusevski - Haaland - Isak

Runarsson, Ryerson, Lindelof, Kairinen, Eriksen, Nusa,
Højlund

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
Danish core with the 3-4 best players from Norway and Sweden ought to do the trick. Denmark is consistently top 20 in the world. Often top 15. Throw Haaland and Ødegaard in there and we got a solid team.

UnitedRepublic

ST - Håland
ST - Isaak
RWB - Dejan
LWB - Elanga
CM - Ødegard
CM - Forsberg/Eriksen
CDM - Højberg
CB - Lindelöf
CB - Christian Andersen
CB - Joachim Andersen
GK - Have your pick

CallyRed

Hradecky
Højbjerg
- Aursnes
Ødegaard

Højlund
Best use of colour coding I have seen on this forum.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Hradecky
Højbjerg
- Aursnes
Ødegaard

Højlund
I'm surprised you rate Christiansen higher than Lindelof. Neither of them are exactly world class obviously but Lindelof has shown a lot more for me and is more experienced too.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
I'm surprised you rate Christiansen higher than Lindelof. Neither of them are exactly world class obviously but Lindelof has shown a lot more for me and is more experienced too.
Wanted the Danish defensive core as they are lightyears ahead of the rest. Lindelof always seems to be a part of calamitous defences for club and country so hard to judge how good he is individually.

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
In what way has Lindelöf shown 'a lot more' in his career than Christensen?

Christensen's proven himself in the EPL, Bundesliga and now La Liga as well, and has a lot more trophies to show for his career too, including big trophies like the UCL for Chelsea and La Liga title for Barca.

Wouldn't say Lindelöf is any more experienced either, despite being two years older. He currently has around 370 games played for Benfica, Man Utd and Sweden NT over the course of his career at the age of 29. Christensen for comparison has played 350 games for Chelsea, Barca, Borussia Mönchengladbach and the Danish NT at the age of 27.

massi83

Wanted the Danish defensive core as they are lightyears ahead of the rest. Lindelof always seems to be a part of calamitous defences for club and country so hard to judge how good he is individually.
I would still rather pick Christensen than shoehorn a random Malmö midfielder to defence.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Iceland and Finland are the obvious weak links.
They've both achieved far more than Norway in last 20 years.

Every so often Denmark have a very good run in major tournament. Sweden declined in recent times but again made QFs of 2018 World cup when they were in a very tough group.

So yes add Isak, Kuluveski, Haaland and Odegaard to 7-8 Danes and Nordic Vikings FC could challenge for international honours alongside Balkan Hotspurs and Soviet Union Saints.

Feels like a classic Pro Evo game from the 2000s.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Danish core with the 3-4 best players from Norway and Sweden ought to do the trick. Denmark is consistently top 20 in the world. Often top 15. Throw Haaland and Ødegaard in there and we got a solid team.
Haaland is a game changer, but we used to have the big dane and the laudrup brothers. And El Prebo.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
They've both achieved far more than Norway in last 20 years.

Every so often Denmark have a very good run in major tournament. Sweden declined in recent times but again made QFs of 2018 World cup when they were in a very tough group.

So yes add Isak, Kuluveski, Haaland and Odegaard to 7-8 Danes and Nordic Vikings FC could challenge for international honours alongside Balkan Hotspurs and Soviet Union Saints.

Feels like a classic Pro Evo game from the 2000s.
Greece has achieved more football wise than all these countries combined in the last 20 years , doesn't mean they have better players.

Norway, Denmark and Sweden have and had a decent amount of players that perform at the highest level of club football, can't say the same about those two although I must admit what Iceland managed to do a few years ago was seriously impressive.
(Now that you mention it an Eastern block super team could probably rival the very best)

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
I don't know enough about the other countries but even then I'd be surprised to see an Icelandic player make the squad. Maybe Albert Guðmundsson could cover for Odegaard. Hákon Hallfreðsson has potential but still early days. Same with Orri Óskarsson and Andri Guðjohnsen but they're still not as good as what Swe, Nor and Den have. Jóhann Guðmundsson could obviously do a job but his problem is and always has been fitness.

There's no good Icelandic defensive player, including keeper and CDM. Finland and Faraoe Island probably have better players.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Greece has achieved more football wise than all these countries combined in the last 20 years , doesn't mean they have better players.

Norway, Denmark and Sweden have and had a decent amount of players that perform at the highest level of club football, can't say the same about those two although I must admit what Iceland managed to do a few years ago was seriously impressive.
(Now that you mention it an Eastern block super team could probably rival the very best)
Iceland in the 2010s were basically a Northern Ireland type team who were incredibly organised and then in final third you had a matchwinner in Glyfi Sigurdsson who based on his premier league seasons would be making a Nordic combined squad. Iceland were always going to slip back to 4th or 5th in the group given the population but making a World cup on top of Euros 2016 QF was a sensational period for them.

Ironcially their best squad was probably in the early 2000s when they used to finish bottom of qualification groups, Eidur Gudjohnsen the star but they had a solid core of players in premier league, Gudni Bergsson, Heidar Helguson and Herman Hreidarsson are guys I can remember as solid pros.

Similar to Finland. Early 2000s had a spine of Sami Hyypia, Tainio, Kolkka , Jari Litmanen and Mikael Forrsell who all played to very good standards for big european teams. Also had a choice of Antti Neimi (Finnish not Scottish.... ;) ) and Jussi Jasskelainen in goal, both were top 10 prem keepers at the time.

They never really got close to making international tournament in those times bar a year of Roy Hodgson managing them.

So I think both benefited from Euros being expanded to 24 teams although Iceland making the following World cup showed they were capable of making it if Euros had stayed at 16 teams.

Tinúviel

Might as well do it now so we can include some Norwegian players. This is the first time in 100 year they got 2 good players and after this it'll another 100 years before we see another. Usually Sweden and Denmark are waaaaaaaay ahead. If its a fishing contest though it might be different.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
I think you're both talking about Christensen. But anyway, no one rates Lindelöf over Christensen. Lindelöf doesn't even start all the time for Sweden.
I don't know enough about the other countries but even then I'd be surprised to see an Icelandic player make the squad. Maybe Albert Guðmundsson could cover for Odegaard. Hákon Hallfreðsson has potential but still early days. Same with Orri Óskarsson and Andri Guðjohnsen but they're still not as good as what Swe, Nor and Den have. Jóhann Guðmundsson could obviously do a job but his problem is and always has been fitness.

There's no good Icelandic defensive player, including keeper and CDM. Finland and Faraoe Island probably have better players.
FC Copenhagen has had a few good Icelandic players the past couple of years. Oskarsson seems to be doing reasonably well now too. How are Hákon Haraldsson and Ísak Jóhannesson rated in Iceland?

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I think you're both talking about Christensen. But anyway, no one rates Lindelöf over Christensen. Lindelöf doesn't even start all the time for Sweden.

FC Copenhagen has had a few good Icelandic players the past couple of years. Oskarsson seems to be doing reasonably well now too. How are Hákon Haraldsson and Ísak Jóhannesson rated in Iceland?
Agreed it is Christensen. But isn't Lindelof Sweden's captain?

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Agreed it is Christensen. But isn't Lindelof Sweden's captain?
Yes I think since Granqvist or whatever his name is retired.
I just feel like I've often seen his name on the Swedish bench, but it might have been for reasons like niggles or playing a minnow. Someone who actually follows Sweden might know better.

EDIT: To be fair to Lindelöf he does seem to play the full game when he's in the squad.

Last edited:

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Quite highly. Hákon is progressing quite fast. Ísak stagnated a bit at FCK but has kicked on as one of the best performers in Bundesliga 2. Versatile player.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
I don't really understand why we are consistently better than Sweden. they are twice our population size. what makes the difference?

JohnnyLaw

I don't really understand why we are consistently better than Sweden. they are twice our population size. what makes the difference?
To be fair we kick your butt in most sports outside of football, where I still believe we’re slightly ahead head-to-head wise.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
this is like trying to build one good piece of furniture from all the random surplus bits you’re left with after building a billy bookcase.

Lyng

If you take the best players and remove the requirement of all teams having minimum two players, then yes, a nordic team would absolutely be able to compete with the best in the word right now.