Top 20 biggest spending clubs in the last 8 years - CIES

SER19

In line with other teams you're having a laugh buddy.

You broke the English transfer record on Veron for £28m, Ferdinand for £29m when the previous record was Alan Shearer for £15m.. Thats almost a 100% jump in prices.
You broke the record 5 times since the first time you did it in 1981. In that time City, Chelsea, Newcastle, Liverpool and Arsenal have broken it once a piece.
Most times breaking the transfer record since 1981 - Manchester United 5, Real Madrid 3 everyone else 1.

98-99 - United buy the two most expensive signings of the season.
01-02 - Veron and RVN. Veron cost €42m by comparison the most expensive non-United signing was Robbie Keane for €18m, less than half the price.
02-03 - Rio is signed for €46m, most expensive non United signing is Anelka for €16m (1/3rd of the price).

Then came the Chelsea era, Chelsea who are a sugar daddy team according to you took until 2006 to sign a player for that kind of money. 3 years into Roman's spending.

Of course we've spent more because we started later when prices were more inflated, its how you spunked so much money on Di Maria, Pogba, Lukaku etc.. the further along and the more inflated the fees are the higher they are. You put the market in that position. A signing you make in 2001 wasn't bettered by an English club till 2006 but prices were steadily rising.
Hang on, how are you citing united almost doubling the Shearer price in the same breath as talking about inflation. So shearers fee in what was it 96 need not be inflated to compare with veron in 2001? 15m vs 19m for rvn in any case is cracking business as is 12m for Yorke when Shearer has went for more.

Yes city have been spending higher fees due to entering market more recently but with the inflation figures you trust so much they’ve still sent pretty much the same as united since 1992. You can’t have it both ways.

There have been windows where united were heavily outspent since going back to 92. Other teams often spent really badly while Ferguson had an incredible record particularly in 90s and the emergence of our youth that our success was built on.

Anyway we’ve had this conversatiom many times and I don’t want to argue with you. Nothing will change my mind about the means and dignity of how city have come to where they are. They will win the champions league soon and cheapen it too. That’s just my opinion and I accept its very different to yours, it’s not personal, we should ignore one another’s thoughts on this issue as we will never ever find common ground. City winning a title to me is just a wasted year and wouldn’t rankle the same way liverpool would for example. I think city are an emblem of modern trash, you support them. Very different view points.

I also don’t believe I have disoensed with logic at all, for what it’s worth. You are certainly skewing what suits you as much as I may be in regards to my viewpoint.

Last edited:

paulscholes18

In line with other teams you're having a laugh buddy.

You broke the English transfer record on Veron for £28m, Ferdinand for £29m when the previous record was Alan Shearer for £15m.. Thats almost a 100% jump in prices.
You broke the record 5 times since the first time you did it in 1981. In that time City, Chelsea, Newcastle, Liverpool and Arsenal have broken it once a piece.
Most times breaking the transfer record since 1981 - Manchester United 5, Real Madrid 3 everyone else 1.

98-99 - United buy the two most expensive signings of the season.
01-02 - Veron and RVN. Veron cost €42m by comparison the most expensive non-United signing was Robbie Keane for €18m, less than half the price.
02-03 - Rio is signed for €46m, most expensive non United signing is Anelka for €16m (1/3rd of the price).

Then came the Chelsea era, Chelsea who are a sugar daddy team according to you took until 2006 to sign a player for that kind of money. 3 years into Roman's spending.

Of course we've spent more because we started later when prices were more inflated, its how you spunked so much money on Di Maria, Pogba, Lukaku etc.. the further along and the more inflated the fees are the higher they are. You put the market in that position. A signing you make in 2001 wasn't bettered by an English club till 2006 but prices were steadily rising.
Man Utd have broken the transfer record once with Pogba, Real Madrid broke it 5 times in a row, AC Milan 3 times (twice in the same year)
Pablo Rossi held the record from 76 - 82, so how did Man Utd brake it in 81?