Top current managers

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Is ten Hag considered a top coach? No disrespect for what he did with Ajax, but if his contract were to magically disappear right now, would he be that high up the list for top clubs, especially over other entries on this list?

RedPed

Whatabouter.
He's won a cup and made Arsenal a respected side. Maybe overrated but I think he serves as an example of what ten Hag could do. All other teams are trying to beat a cheat code team so what they do seems less amazing but when put into perspective it's actually a big accomplishment
Ten Hag got 3rd, Champions League football and a trophy in his first season, so he's already ahead of Arteta to use that logic. The Gooners were after Arteta's blood season before last. Recency bias is such a wonderful thing.

Tyrion

Do you get medals for that now? Second is second, doesn't matter what the difference is. Mourinho and Solskjaer did the same with United.
Obviously it matters what the difference is when you're judging the manager. That's like saying us losing to City 1-0 because of a dodgy penalty is as bad of a performance as us losing 10-0.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Obviously it matters what the difference is when you're judging the manager. That's like saying us losing to City 1-0 because of a dodgy penalty is as bad of a performance as us losing 10-0.
Well, when you factor in that Arsenal were 11 points clear at one stage, lead the league for over 90% of the season, were top at April and the only team in PL history to be at the top in Jan and not win the league, it kinda makes Arteta pretty shit doesn't it. You can be selective in your stats all you like. But that's what I'm judging Arteta on.

AshRK

So arteta is crap because he couldn't even give a proper fight to city in one on one games

Tyrion

Well, when you factor in that Arsenal were 11 points clear at one stage, lead the league for over 90% of the season, were top at April and the only team in PL history to be at the top in Jan and not win the league, it kinda makes Arteta pretty shit doesn't it. You can be selective in your stats all you like. But that's what I'm judging Arteta on.
So you're judging him from how he did after April and ignoring what came beforehand? That seems pretty selective to me. Overall he got closer than any of our managers have and as close as anyone not named Klopp.

So arteta is crap because he couldn't even give a proper fight to city in one on one games
He? I didn't realise he was playing. You judge managers on what they do with what they have. City's team is better than Arsenal's so Arsenal beating City would mean Arteta was doing better than Pep with less than Pep making him the best manager in the world. If that's your bar, then of course he's a failure.

AshRK

So you're judging him from how he did after April and ignoring what came beforehand? That seems pretty selective to me. Overall he got closer than any of our managers have and as close as anyone not named Klopp.

He? I didn't realise he was playing. You judge managers on what they do with what they have. City's team is better than Arsenal's so Arsenal beating City would mean Arteta was doing better than Pep with less than Pep making him the best manager in the world. If that's your bar, then of course he's a failure.
Arteta finished 2nd, jose finished 2nd and Ole finished 2nd. The difference is Arteta's feat is considered amazing achievement even after spending 500m but the other two were considered failure even though both of them did not give up on other competitions, in fact Ole's team were also competing in europa finals and Jose's team fought for the FA cup as well.

To me all of them were decent in some part but doesn't make either a top manager based on that season.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Um, no, you're the one who's judging him on one season and ignoring the seasons before that where he also had similar bottle jobs even though ten Hag finished third, got to two finals and won a trophy in his first. How you can justify blowing the title like he did last season as any kind of achievement is frankly bizarre. History will not be so kind either. He's done no better than Mourinho or Solskjaer did with United.

Tyrion

Um, no, you're the one who's judging him on one season and ignoring the seasons before that where he also had similar bottle jobs even though ten Hag finished third, got to two finals and won a trophy in his first. How you can justify blowing the title like he did last season as any kind of achievement is frankly bizarre. History will not be so kind either. He's done no better than Mourinho or Solskjaer did with United.
Well he hasn't crashed and burned like Jose or Ole and has started better than ETH.

It's not bizarre. You just look at the whole season rather than the last 7/8 games.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Well he hasn't crashed and burned like Jose or Ole and has started better than ETH.

It's not bizarre. You just look at the whole season rather than the last 7/8 games.
You're not making any sense but never mind, do your thing.

Tyrion

You're not making any sense but never mind, do your thing.
It's pretty obvious. You think he's not good because of how last season ended. I'm saying you have to count the entire season and he deserves credit for getting Arsenal closer to a title than they've been in a decade. He didn't just appear at Arsenal in the middle of a title race. He got them there.

Redstain

Flick has to be up there. Played the best attacking football at Bayern I've seen since prime Barcelona with Pep.

Pintu

Didn’t he finish 8th 2 seasons running?

Tyrion

Didn’t he finish 8th 2 seasons running?
Arsenal finished 8th two seasons running with him as manager. Then they challenged for the title.

I didn't rate him either at first but pretending he hasn't done a good job is delusional. If EtH had us performing this season the way Arsenal did last, we'd be doing cartwheels.

Pintu

Arsenal finished 8th two seasons running with him as manager. Then they challenged for the title.

I didn't rate him either at first but pretending he hasn't done a good job is delusional. If EtH had us performing this season the way Arsenal did last, we'd be doing cartwheels.
No, they didn’t.. they finsihed 5th in his following season, bottling 4th place to Spurs and their Conte who didn‘t want to be there…

In the year after that (his 4th season) they started playing decent football and almost looked like challenging for it… But they didn’t really challenge for it.. 84 points do not win the PL, Leicester is the only team in the last 12 that won it with such low point tally.

Revan

Assumptionman
0) Pep is in a league of its own.

1) Ancelotti, Klopp and Zidane as elite.

2) Simeone, Tuchel, Enrique as top managers.

3) Pochettino, Spalleti, Emeri, Conte*, Allegri*, Mourinho** as really good managers but not much chance they will go a tier or two up.

4) Arteta, ten Hag, Nagelsmann, Flick, de Zerbi, Howe and quite a few others as quite good managers who can go 1-3 tiers up, albeit Flick and ten Hag are not that young.

* I would have put them in tier 2 a couple of years ago.

** At his best he was Tier 1.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
My top 10:

1. Pep
2. Anchelotti
3. klopp
4. Zidane
5. Simone
6. Enrique
7. Tuchel
8. Spalleti
9. Pochettino
10. Hag

Ok I do it just for the count of 10.

3KDré

Is ten Hag considered a top coach? No disrespect for what he did with Ajax, but if his contract were to magically disappear right now, would he be that high up the list for top clubs, especially over other entries on this list?
Before we wanted him, he was being considered by Barca and Bayern. So yes, absolutely.

always_hoping

Pochettino shouldn't be in the conversation for a top current manager. He's suits a smaller club will little pressure to succeed so roughly around the same level as David Moyes.

Canagel

1)Pep
2)Klopp
3)Ancelotti
4) Mourinho
5) Simeone
6) Zidane
7) Conte
8) Allegri
9)Deschamps
10) Tuchel

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
With a handful of exceptions the list should really be re-named to be the 'most popular managers.' Its almost like voting for an All star game.

Canagel

Not sure if Klopp is above Carlo.

Ancelotti has achieved so much more than Klopp for all his reputation.
I was very close to switching them but I cant ignore what Klopp did in 2018,19,20 and 22.

Only two other all time great managers stopped him from a league and UCL double in 2019 (unbeaten in the league with one defeat to City) and a quadruple in 2022.

97 and 92 points wins you the league in any normal season, to me that has weight. He also has 3 league titles without those ifs and a UCL all while playing dominant football.

I could also have switched Mourinho and Ancelotti. Ancelotti isnt a tier above Mourinho or Klopp, they are on the same level and interchangable.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Flick has to be up there. Played the best attacking football at Bayern I've seen since prime Barcelona with Pep.
He had one purple patch in his whole career, and yes that was among the best football ever played. But as he never reached that before or after I don't rate him that high.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Sometimes there's a difference between before and after though.
And while they considered him, it didn't happen. Not saying it went like this, but considering someone could have looked like this:

Board member 1: What about EtH? Isn't he a good one?
Board member 2: Nah... Not good enough for us.

gajender

Sometimes there's a difference between before and after though.
You are right I do think his United stint currently isn't doing his credentials as top progressive coach any favours but barring few on the list there are serious question mark over everybody .

backpass

I love Alonso, seriously. Independent of job or even work area there are some people who have an amazing natural aura of a leader. While Alonsos Manager career is still short and with no countable success, I would love to take the leap of faith and appoint him over 95% of the above mentioned managers.

It is also clear that he knows what he is doing, I really look forward watching leverkusen again, which I did not for a long time. Everyone has nothing but respect for him, players, media, other coaches. Hes the one to watch and will end up as one of the greatest. Can see him manage either of Bayern, Real, or City within 2-3 years.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
I love Alonso, seriously. Independent of job or even work area there are some people who have an amazing natural aura of a leader. While Alonsos Manager career is still short and with no countable success, I would love to take the leap of faith and appoint him over 95% of the above mentioned managers.

It is also clear that he knows what he is doing, I really look forward watching leverkusen again, which I did not for a long time. Everyone has nothing but respect for him, players, media, other coaches. Hes the one to watch and will end up as one of the greatest. Can see him manage either of Bayern, Real, or City within 2-3 years.
He definitely is on the right track. And I would like to add that he just seems to be a class act, not a nutter like some others on this list.

Really liked how he talked about how mich respect he has for Frank Schmidt before yesterday's match against Heidenheim (for those who don't know, Schmidt is now managing Heidenheim for 16 years and took them from fourth to first league over the years, essentially Heidenheim's SAF).