Top players potentially leaving

Ralph1386

While many of us are discussing transfers needed for the summer, is anybody else worried that, if we go trophyless again next year, some of our top/ambitious players such as Bruno will want to leave?

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I’d be more worried about hanging onto the top young players like Greenwood. Bruno will be here until he goes back to Sporting at like 32 I think.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Man this place is going to the dogs. People discussing Greenwood leaving because we lost a EL final.:houllier:

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I’d be more worried about hanging onto the top young players like Greenwood. Bruno will be here until he goes back to Sporting at like 32 I think.
This makes no sense to me. Our reliance on Greenwood Rashford and Martial is why we've won nothing this year. We don’t score enough goals to turn the draws into wins and the big occasions clearly get to our forwards. If I was Bruno I’d be looking around me this summer. The academy lads aren’t going to be dropped or sold unless they go bad for a few years like Lingard.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Bruno apart, who are these so called 'top' players?

English players won't leave. If Pogba wants to leave, goodbye and good riddance to him.

Don't see the problem here.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Man this place is going to the dogs. People discussing Greenwood leaving because we lost a EL final.:houllier:
Not this summer, but if we tread water for another 2-3 years it wouldn’t surprise me to see our top youngsters getting to 23-24 and deliberating on that next big contract.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?

English players won't leave. If Pogba wants to leave, goodbye and good riddance to him.

Exactly this. Only Bruno Is important.

None of the English lads will leave and as for the dabber I will gladly drive him to the airport.

crossy1686

career ending
Honestly don't care, these top players haven't won shit and probably don't deserve what they're being paid for the most part.

As long as the money went towards Grealish, Arrons, Kane, Sancho and Rice we'd probably be better off to be honest.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Whoever wants to leave can leave. Requirement for this is that there’s a team around who values the player that much that they are willing to pay us a very good fee as most players have long term contracts with us.
Having said that no one will leave. The one player I want to get rid will no doubt leave us on a free next season for the 2nd time anyway.

The Hilton

It's absolutely mental isn't it, the level of meltdown is nuclear.

The idea that losing an EL final will lead to a mass exodus when our dressing room atmosphere the healthiest it's been post Fergie, I get that people are upset but some of these posts are just bizarre.

I don't think top players will leave, Pogba aside. I was pretty confident he would stay but I think the way Ole managed us last night will make him think twice about whether we can win things under him.

I would be more worried about our squad players. After last night I'd bet some of them will be questioning if this is the right place for them.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Insanity. We finished 2nd in the league comfortably. Everybody expects us to fight for EPL and UCL titles next week but "top players will leave" is the topic to open, as if we got relegated? What is wrong with this place?

I don't think top players will leave, Pogba aside. I was pretty confident he would stay but I think the way Ole managed us last night will make him think twice about whether we can win things under him.

I would be more worried about our squad players. After last night I'd bet some of them will be questioning if this is the right place for them.
If Pogba leaves - good riddance. I wasn't happy with Ole's match management yesterday but that pales in comparison to the world-cup-winning French international providing NOTHING for us to break down a team whose only strategy was to park the bus against us. I am more worried winning things if Pogba stays than if Ole stays.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Not this summer, but if we tread water for another 2-3 years it wouldn’t surprise me to see our top youngsters getting to 23-24 and deliberating on that next big contract.
Nobody's going to overpay them as much as we do except Man City and the boys from the academy won't go over, probably.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
It is not just best players wanting to leave (Pogba now, Bruno and Rashford later), problem is why would top players decide to come and fight for top 4?

SAFMUTD

The players that could move onto other big clubs are Maguire, Shaw, Pogba, Rashford, Bruno and Greenwood. All the others would have to move to a lesser club. Now from that list the only one that I see going is Pogba. Maguire, Shaw and Rashford wouldnt get a team to pay them the wages we are paying them so they would have to lesser their demands which seems unlikely. Bruno seems comited to the cause and Greenwood is having opportunities here so I think he'll be thinking about developing rather than moving.

Abraxas

I'm not sure this is worth worrying about.

We're not really at that stage. We finished 2nd in the league and came close to winning a few trophies. Close isn't where we want to be but being in contention is important. It's not really the same as Tottenham's situation where they have key players that have been there years and things have spiralled.

If the attitude is to leave because they've lost a final, or finals, or the league itself, is that what we really need? These very same "top players" are the ones that did not really show up last night. They are our best players right now but if they're to become top players overall then the attitude has to be to do better and to be more consistent, as somebody like Kane is. If they do not, they probably won't be our top players in 3-5 years anyway. A lot will change in that time.

Another thing to consider is the market for some of these players probably isn't massive. They are on huge amounts of money and that essentially keeps them there until they perform to that value. It's the same concept that makes our undesirable players hard to shift. Nobody is thinking of offering 100 million for Maguire or 120 million for Rashford for example and offering them more money than we do. I think Bruno is probably the only one that would be extremely desirable. We are paying top tier wages for players that are only there or thereabouts within other top squads, these guys are not doing us a favour!

Last edited:

Roane

Before Bruno came to us was there much interest from other top clubs?

I recall even we passed on him at some point and injuries was why we went back in

Mihai

Agree with this.

tomaldinho1

While many of us are discussing transfers needed for the summer, is anybody else worried that, if we go trophyless again next year, some of our top/ambitious players such as Bruno will want to leave?
Usually, yes but no one can afford them. Players don't seem fussed about PSG and we'll never sell to City or Chelsea so I think we're safe on that front.

Infra-red

Bruno, yes, but he's the only one.

I doubt any of the others would have serious offers from clubs better placed than us to win trophies, so they wouldn't benefit from leaving.

G-MUFC

If I was Bruno, and I did not grow up supporting Utd, I'd be looking at the likes of KDB, Dias, Fernandinho, Mahrez, Pep etc at City then I'd look around the changing room at the likes of Phil Jones, Fred, Bailey, James, Ole etc - I'd get myself out of Utd ASAP.
Bruno is wasting himself at Utd as we're not winning the league or Champions League anytime soon. We only finished second this season because Liverpool had major injuries and Chelsea had an inexperienced manager for the first half of the season.