Film Top three movies of 2021

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
There were some really big movies pushed back to 2021 because of Covid and theater restrictions. So many movies released this year. What three did you enjoy the most?

CODA (children of deaf adults) It was just great story telling, fantastic script that didn’t need big stars.

tick tick Boom - Andrew Garfield was absolutely brilliant

Dune - The visual quality of the movie was almost overwhelming to the senses.

No doubt it is different for everyone.

GueRed

I dont think I've seen one let alone three movies released this year..

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Pig
Nomadland
The Father

Others I liked: Judas and the Black Messiah, Dune, Last night in Soho, Palm Springs, Don't look up, Promising young woman, Green Knight, Tick Tick Boom.

Probably forgetting loads

Last edited:

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
The Green Knight is one of my favourites this year.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
1. The French Dispatch

2. Nightmare Alley

3. Pig
3. Drive My Car

Hon. Mention: Dune, The Card Counter, No Sudden Move, Promising Young Woman

(Updated)

Last edited:

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
Pig
Nomadland
The Father

Others I liked: Judas and the Black Messiah, Dune, Last night in Soho, Palm Springs, Don't look up, Promising young woman

Probably forgetting loads
Was Nomadland a 2021 release in Europe? That was definitely a 2020 in NA

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
The two that stand out for me by far are The Father, which was just exceptional with one of the best acting performances I’ve ever seen, and Dune.

Haven’t seen CODA but will watch based on the OP. Same with tick tick Boom. I started The Green Knight but turned it off after 20 minutes because it just wasn’t speaking to me. Now I feel I need to go back and give it a proper watch.

I see mentions for Promising Young Woman, I found that so enormously underwhelming. Decent enough but pretty forgettable.

Last edited:

Rooney in Paris

Scout
The Green Knight is one of my favourites this year.
Watched it this evening. Brilliant film, excellent performance by Dev Patel, some wonderful cinematography and shots, and a really interesting transcription of a King Arthur tale. The last 20mns or so will stick with me for quite some time.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Watched it this evening. Brilliant film, excellent performance by Dev Patel, some wonderful cinematography and shots, and a really interesting transcription of a King Arthur tale. The last 20mns or so will stick with me for quite some time.
Yeah the cinematography is absolutely first class. Cool story too.

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
The two that stand out for me by far are The Father, which was just exceptional with one of the best acting performances I’ve ever seen, and Dune.

Haven’t seen CODA but will watch based on the OP. Same with tick tick Boom. I started The Green Knight but turned it off after 20 minutes because it just wasn’t speaking to me. Now I feel I need to go back and give it a proper watch.

I see mentions for Promising Young Woman, I found that so enormously underwhelming. Decent enough but pretty forgettable.
I can see that although I loved it myself. I would move that down out of my Top 3 though as I saw two movies I'd place above it: Pig and Drive My Car.

For me, I found tick tick Boom to be very meh and underwhelming. I turned that off after 30 minutes myself. I really didn't like the music and found the story to be of that self-aggrandizing Hollywood/Broadway variety "ooh look at me, I'm such a tortured artist." I might have to give it another go if my wife decides she wants to see it but I wouldn't go back to that one if given the choice and wouldn't have it anywhere near a top 10 list.

lsd

The Oracle
Judas and the black messiah
Concrete Cowboy
Candyman

Rooney in Paris

Scout
Sensing a theme here...
Films whose titles either begin or end in "s". Also noticed it.

Oh and Tick Tick Boom was also a great film, wouldn't make my top 3 I don't think but definitely one of the more enjoyable films of the year. And I went in fully expecting to dislike it, Lin Manuel Miranda annoys the shit out of me.

nimic

something nice
Scout
The end sequence really pushed it up a rung or two on the quality ladder.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Dune
Judas and the Black Messiah
The Mitchells vs the Machines

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Haven't watched too many films that came out this year but the ones I had I was largely happy with.

1.Green Knight, another enjoyable and thought provoking film from Lowery.
2. DUNE, enjoyable space epic.
3. The Last Duel. Alittle familiar at times but Ridley's been back on form since that film we-shall-not-mention. Amazing Mullet on Damon too.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
I can see that although I loved it myself. I would move that down out of my Top 3 though as I saw two movies I'd place above it: Pig and Drive My Car.

For me, I found tick tick Boom to be very meh and underwhelming. I turned that off after 30 minutes myself. I really didn't like the music and found the story to be of that self-aggrandizing Hollywood/Broadway variety "ooh look at me, I'm such a tortured artist." I might have to give it another go if my wife decides she wants to see it but I wouldn't go back to that one if given the choice and wouldn't have it anywhere near a top 10 list.
He dies the night before Rent premiers in real life. Rent was not only his biggest play, it is one of Broadway’s biggest plays. It is about the grandest example of tortured artist makes it huge, but never lives to see it happen.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I've not seen a single 2021 movie I think. Was TeneT 2021? If so it still doesn't make the top 3.

I will watch Dune now though.

lsd

The Oracle
I've not seen a single 2021 movie I think. Was TeneT 2021? If so it still doesn't make the top 3.

I will watch Dune now though.

Even if it was the only one? Harsh but probably true from what I've heard

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
It was a one week limited streaming release only (after the film festivals) before a full release in 2021, so it’s a 2021 film for all intents and purposes unless you were special.
Interesting. Wondering which 2021 movies for me are not released yet in Europe. Have Nightmare Alley, Licorice Pizza, The Lost Daughter, Benedetta, Red Rocket, C'mon C'mon, and Drive My Car been released there yet?

He dies the night before Rent premiers in real life. Rent was not only his biggest play, it is one of Broadway’s biggest plays. It is about the grandest example of tortured artist makes it huge, but never lives to see it happen.
Thanks for the spoiler but you've confirmed that's not a movie I'll probably ever rate or enjoy. The music and the writing just didn't do anything for me and I couldn't make it through a movie like that.

MiceOnMeth

1. Spider-man No way home
2. Shang Chi and the legend of the ten rings
3. The Eternals

Ollie Derbyshire

I must have missed something with The Green Knight, I thought it was boring as hell, and so far I’ve found 2021 to be really poor for movies. Still to see Dune & Spider-Man which I expect to like though.

TV series have been miles better this year.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
The Last Duel
The Suicide Squad
Free Guy

I don't think I've watched many films from this year...

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Still waiting for them all to become available to rent on microsoft store.

EverReddy

First Cow, Nomadland and Power of The Dog. Still yet to see Another Round and Supernova which both have potential to grab a spot

Mercurial

1. The Father was ultimately the one at the top this year for me, boring subject upfront, really great acting and cinematography, the movie really sucks you into that flat. Has a soft / psychological horror build up feel to it.

2. The Green Knight. Unique movie. A total surprise.

3. DUNE for the cinematography that was sublime in IMAX. Wheras the editing, some actors and compressed story was a letdown for me.

MATRIX was a major letdown, The Last Duel was really cool but a bit repetitive. No Way home was good old Marvel fun.

Am I the only one who found Dune boring as sin?
I was disappointed also a bit with Dune for the story & cut. The movie felt way too compressed, and House Atreides looked like they landed and 2 days later got mauled, great much of the buildup was missing. Some of the early trailers had some story bits that seem to have been cut alltogether from the final. Hopefully down the line, a fleshed out director's edition will be released.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
1. Drive My Car
2. Evangelion 3.0+1.0
3. Minari

All great movies and I was really happy to see Drive My Car after watching some of Hamaguchi's other movies earlier in the year (Happy Hour/Asako I+II)

Evangelion was a nice surprise because I half expected to be a bit crap after how long it took to make but the ending definitely does not disappoint.

I only saw two other movies released this year: Lamb (crap) and Licorice Pizza (decent).

Interesting. Wondering which 2021 movies for me are not released yet in Europe. Have Nightmare Alley, Licorice Pizza, The Lost Daughter, Benedetta, Red Rocket, C'mon C'mon, and Drive My Car been released there yet?

Thanks for the spoiler but you've confirmed that's not a movie I'll probably ever rate or enjoy. The music and the writing just didn't do anything for me and I couldn't make it through a movie like that.
Yeah, Licorice Pizza came out this week here in the UK on 35mm. Looks very nice. Drive My Car played on limited release a month or so ago in the arty farty cinemas.

Last edited: