Townsend: "Footballers being painted as villains"

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
And the 25% that would be impacted? they should just take it and shut up?
I doubt any Premier League player, even the lowest paid, would struggle taking a 30% hit for a few months, plus the lower paid ones are also more likely to still be in touch with reality and feel guilty about taking their full wages whilst the Canteen Staff, Toilet Cleaners etc etc are being laid off.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
I think as a society we're realising just how much we might have taken the NHS for granted.
It seems strange that we live in a world where someone who kicks a ball around gets paid so much more than someone who has the skill and ability to save a life
Well as a society in the UK we keep voting in the Tories who have gutted the NHS over the past few years so yeah we have taken it for granted.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
A lot of organisations were unprepared for this and slow to react. A friend of mine who can easily do his job from home only got set up 3 days ago. The Governments original strategy was to take it on the chin and build hurd immunity etc. It was only because of the backlash that they did a compete U turn! They didn't even consult the police when they put us on lockdown!

It's terrifying that we have the likes of Johnson and Hancock in charge and they have no idea what they are doing!
That's up to companies to sort... mine sent me home (to work) three weeks ago yesterday.

The Government's original plan was to build up herd immunity because original predictions showed X cases and deaths then revised ones from Imperial College London changed everything and the Government realised it would swamp the NHS unless they changed strategy, so they did. Bear in mind that almost every medical expert in the world says we'll need herd immunity at some point as the best defence.... it's just that a better understanding showed that the cases/deaths would be far too high at this point.

Who said the police weren't told? My gut instinct tells me the Home Secretary and senior police heads would have been discussing stuff every day but I don't know that for certain. I assume you have some interviews with senior police heads that say otherwise?

As for knowing what they're doing... yes, there's lots of things they could have/should have done differently. We have enough ventilators/beds (right now) but other stuff feels like a seat of the pants strategy.

RedStarUnited

I doubt any Premier League player, even the lowest paid, would struggle taking a 30% hit for a few months, plus the lower paid ones are also more likely to still be in touch with reality and feel guilty about taking their full wages whilst the Canteen Staff, Toilet Cleaners etc etc are being laid off.
I think the complete opposite, they will be the ones that will feel harshly done by being forced to take a cut. Also, people forget how badly managed sports stars money is, there is a reason why a lot of them go broke in the first couple of years after retirement.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
I think the complete opposite, they will be the ones that will feel harshly done by being forced to take a cut. Also, people forget how badly managed sports stars money is, there is a reason why a lot of them go broke in the first couple of years after retirement.
Got no sympathy for anybody playing any Sport at the top level going broke with the money involved these days, back in the day maybe ....

thepolice123

"If the government approached me to help support nurses financially or buy ventilators I'd be proud to do so - as long as I knew where the money was going," wrote Rooney in an impassioned column in the Sunday Times. "I'm in a position where I could give something up. Not every footballer is in the same position. Yet suddenly the whole profession has been put on the spot with a demand for 30 per cent pay cuts across the board.

Why are footballers suddenly the scapegoats? "How the past few days have played out is a disgrace. First the Health Secretary, Matt Hancock, said that Premier League players should take a pay cut. "He was supposed to be giving the nation the latest on the biggest crisis we've faced in our lifetimes. Why was the pay of footballers even in his head? Was he desperate to divert attention from his government's handling of this pandemic?"

"It seemed strange to me because every other decision in this process has been kept behind closed doors, but this had to be announced publicly," he added. "Why? It feels as if it's to shame the players - to force them into a corner where they have to pick up the bill for lost revenue. "In my opinion it is now a no-win situation. Whatever way you look at it, we're easy targets."

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/wayne-rooney-brands-public-coronavirus-21816131