Transfer Strategy - How good is good enough?

Canagel

That's my concern as well. Players arriving from Real are a bit high-headed as it is. From the Bernabeu to a Mourinho team is quite a big mental leap for a creative player.
You're forgetting that mourinho managed there and they broke the la liga points record and scored 121 goals on the way to the title. He will fit in quite well I think as long as he's motivated to make the move and doesn't see us as a step down.

SirMattBugsby

You're forgetting that mourinho managed there and they broke the la liga points record and scored 121 goals on the way to the title. He will fit in quite well I think as long as he's motivated to make the move and doesn't see us as a step down.
Not questioning Mourinho's credentials or his success with Madrid. The present Real team is very different from ours in playing style. Plus, as you said, there's always the risk of a player seeing it as a step down and therefore considering himself the star player and not working as hard.

If that's the case, I'd rather have a less talented/developed player who is happy to be at OT.

Safa Boy

Have Chelsea or Spurs signed 'top quality' players in the last few windows? Costa and Fabregas are the only two you can point to as really established names who were expected to deliver from the off. There's plenty of potential in our squad already that's either being misused or underutilised. Shaw doesn't get a look in, Pereira could be given a chance, Martial and Mkhitaryan were two of the best attacking talents in Europe last season. Of course we need signings but our squad definitely doesn't need a complete overhaul to challenge again.
Agreed. Some people have completely lost the plot calling for a massive clear-out and unrealistic signings. We don't need a clear-out and we definitely don't need a galactico in every position to win the league again. Chelsea have just won the league with many players that some would easily label "not a United player". The best team isn't always the one with the best players. There's much more to it than that.

For all its faults, this current squad has won the FA and League Cup recently and may also win the EL in a few days time. At the very least, that shows that a winning culture and good spirit is developing amongst the players. That would be destroyed if a bunch of them was sold in one summer. We should rather build on what we have at the moment by adding 2 or 3 quality players who can give everyone else a lift.

AllezLesDiables

The key is the infrastructure and architecture. While it's fun to play muppet regarding certain signings, the are certain pragmatic transfers that are needed even though they aren't sexy or people think the player isn't at "United standard". All top teams are better than the sum of their parts.

United's issue is figuring out a post Fergie identity. This has been complicated by buying and bringing shirt sellers rather than taking a few lumps while building a solid base and bringing in the shirt sellers last.

Jose did good business in his first transfer window, but the base still needs to be built hence the reason 6+ players are needed.

Scholsey2004

How good is good enough. Simple answer is not a set level but better than we currently have and the best we can get.

cheeky_backheel

If you are rebuilding a team from scratch, which is essentially what Mourinho is doing, you start with an overall system and formation in mind (which seems to be 4-2-3-1 in this case). You pick your long term core players (usually 3-5 but probably only Pogba and rashford for now) and then add other players to complement them.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I think most people have thoughts about who we need and what they'd like the squad to look like in the next couple of years. I'd like to know your thoughts on the calibre of players we should be targeting in the summer or the next few transfer windows.

For example, most people think we need a CDM, should we target someone I'd consider amongst the very best in the role (Verrati) or someone who is a very very good player in the role (Fabinho), or someone who is adequete for the role (like Dier for example.... i know i know...). Now please don't go off on one about whether my examples are as good as I think they are, that's not what i want to talk about. I'd like to know if people are happy to get the right man for the job, or want the best man for the job.

As a club we've tried both approaches. I think when we bought Pogba we bought one of the very best in the world as a central midfielder. When we bought Mhkitaryan we signed someone who was a very good attacking midfielder, but arguably not in the top 5 or10 of the world in his position. We signed Schniederlin and we signed someone who we thought would be the right man for the job, an acomplished player as a CDM. We've had mixed success with each calibre of signing.

I personally think we desperately need a CDM, a central defender and an attacking midfielder. I think we need to be secure at the back, we need to be able to dictate play in the middle and we need to unlock defenses and score goals. We struggle with all these things, the spine of our team is weak. In my opinion i'd like to target the very best players we possibly can in these positions.

I also think the team lacks width and quality in the depth of our squad, but i'd be happy to see that addressed in later transfer windows, or dealt with players who are not the elite, or are simply acomplished players. For example, I think we need to replace Fellaini or at least push him down the order of midfield options (unless he proves in training he deserves his spot), but I don't think we need to sign Toni Kroos to do that, I think we could improve our options with another Herrera type signing.

• What do you think is the right approach?
  • Does it vary on the position you think we need filling?
We definitely need help in the final third so a top striker, a world class number 10 or a Bernardo Silva type who annoys opposing defences by running at them would seem a top priority. Just behind that we need a top dedicated DM or a box to box DM. But most importantly its critical that Jose bring in certain personalities who he feels will galvanize the gaps in the current squad and get them executing like a well oiled machine. I look at the improvement from his initial year at Inter to the treble winning side. He gradually put the pieces in place and suddenly everything clicked at a much higher level. That's the sort of strategy he needs this year, and I'm confident he will do it.

apotheosis

O'Fortuna
I defintely agree there, you can't play two "nearly good enough" players to replace 1 good one. I do wonder though if you think the players we do sign need to be the absolute best? I think Neymar, Messi, Ronaldo etc aren't about to sign for us, but should we get throwing £100 million for Bale of Griezmann or should we see if we can get the same results with a £50 million Silva?
I don't see a right or wrong approach personally, ultimately the correct policy has to provide the success to justify itself. Unfortunately, post Gill, our approach had an air of desperation to it imo, which probably won't really change until we achieve our immediate goals.

Mourinho has made some good signings though, Bailly, Zlatan, Pogba and Mk are undoubtedly quality signings. However, qualify for the CL, everyone will be happy and looking forward with optimism. Fail to qualify, and those same signings will be viewed as insufficient, yet they are still quality players. This summer i can see us yet again having to spend heavily to get where we want to be.

I don't think that has to be the case, Kante was bought for a pittance, yet turned out to be one of the best about in his position. Although, when you have the funds to spend big and expectations continue to build, it becomes increasingly difficult to ignore that pressure to do so. A la Wenger. Mki didn't cost a fortune, so after a hot and cold season many will now speculate we should have spent more for someone better. Yet with Pogba many will argue we spent too much, and could have bought better for less.

Liverpool and Spurs haven't spent fortunes on top players, yet both still automatically qualified for the CL and will consider their respective seasons a success as a result. As a manager, no matter who you sign, or however much you spend, you still have to provide the expected success to back it up. Last summer, Klopp said he was shocked how much pressure he was under to spend big, asking whether people had forgotten that teams can be improved by coaching methods. To be fair, Chelsea won the title simply by buying the right players for the system Conte wanted to change to, and then getting it to work.

Mourinho has been good at signing what he needs in the past, and as i said, his signings so far have been good. He just needs to get more out of them as a unit, and spend big this summer or not, that will still be the case next season.

worldinmotion66

There is still value out there. I think some supporters are very short sighted and can only remember what they have recently seen.

Monaco are the flavour of the month, but many of their players are having break through seasons and will consequently sell for much more than they may actually end up being worth. You have to look for consistency, and really only Fabinho and Bernardo Silva have shown any over more than one season. Fans like the look of Mendy because we need a left back and he's clearly talented, but why not look a little closer to home at someone like Bertrand, who would probably go for a similar fee and has proven Premier League and International experience?

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

If you are rebuilding a team from scratch, which is essentially what Mourinho is doing, you start with an overall system and formation in mind (which seems to be 4-2-3-1 in this case). You pick your long term core players (usually 3-5 but probably only Pogba and rashford for now) and then add other players to complement them.
I agree. Its not about the quality of individual players but about which players will make us function as a team again.
Take our next opponent Ajax.
If we compile a mixed best 11 based on the individual players we might end up with 8 or 9 of our players but as a team I think they work better atm.

leontas

The way to go about signing players should be like this in my opinion
  • Decide the formation that we are going to play in the majority of the games based on the players that we already have. A slight tweak for certain games is alright but preferably stick to the same formation all games. For example, we can play 4231 against weaker teams but switch to 433 for some away games.
  • Based on the formation, decide which positions need strengthening. We'll probably need to sign a LB, CM, CB, striker and a RW.
  • For each position, create a list of players and then arrange them by preference.
  • Throw money at the players on the top of the list and get them. If that doesn't work, quickly move to the next name on the list.
In my opinion, we should play 433 since it gets the best out of Pogba and will also not require us to change formations for tough games. The players which we have that are suited to this formation are

Martial - - - ST - - - RW
Pogba - - - - CM
Herrera
LB - - CB - - Bailly - - Valencia
De Gea​

ST: Aubameyang, Lukaku, Belotti, Mandzukic

RW: Bale, Sanchez, Costa, Willian

CM: Isco, Naby Keita, Bakayoko, Kessie

LB: Mendy, Rose, Bertrand

CB: Van Dijk, Lindelof, Manolas, Gimenez, Varane

If we decide to play 433, players like Griezmann, James, etc shouldn't be considered since they will have to play out of position. Jose seems to prefer 4231 based on the players we are being linked to. In that case, a No.10 instead of RW would do.
I agree with the general concept of first choosing the system and then targeting players who would flourish under that system. The last thing you want to do is splash £100m on a player only to realise he doesn't fit into the way you want to set-up your team.

Having said that, I think Herrera should be playing in the CM position next to Pogba, with another holding midfielder like Fabinho playing in front of the back 4.

Mark Pawelek

I'm not against playing squad players, but we should not be paying £25/£40 million each time for them. Prices paid for Shaw, Schneiderlin, Fellaini were ridiculous. Perhaps we should do what Chelsea do? Keep 30 players on loan so that at least 10 of them will be starting most matches. That way you, potentially, have 10 more experienced squad players available each summer to draft into your team if you need them. The fact you have squad players should not stop you buying the best players you need to win top trophies : unless you're paying ~ £30 million each time for your squad players. If we can't get the best because they won't come, we need the 2nd-best with potential. Anyone with serious weaknesses in their game, which can't be ironed out, should not be here. Players with potential should show improvement with coaching. It's all obvious.

davidmichael

I defintely agree there, you can't play two "nearly good enough" players to replace 1 good one. I do wonder though if you think the players we do sign need to be the absolute best? I think Neymar, Messi, Ronaldo etc aren't about to sign for us, but should we get throwing £100 million for Bale of Griezmann or should we see if we can get the same results with a £50 million Silva?
Exactly my thinking on this as I don't think we'd get any of the big three names but we should look at paying the money required for Bale who's world class, British, proven in our league and scores and creates goals.

We need a proven quality player in each position that needs to be strengthened so why pack the squad out with filler when what's needed is genuine quality ? Of course it'll cost but then we're the richest club in the world with it being reported by Balague we're likely to spend £400 million, I think that's an overestimate but we'll likely be the biggest spenders in the summer.

kthanksbye

I think the right approach is..
- To buy from the PL preferably. Eliminate the needing to settle down in a new country and a new league factor.
- Players at their peak. Given our current situation, I'd rather we sign players older than 25, again eliminating the wait for them to develop.
- If not from the PL, then proven quality. If we're not able to land some of our targets from the PL and are forced to look outside, I'd want us to look at names like Griezmann and such.

Buying talents like Mbappe or Dembele is something we'll have to sacrifice on for a couple of windows and be absolutely ruthless. Once we're back where aspire to be we can change our transfer strategy to buying young talents and waiting for them to develop while we have other players that can step up if it doesn't work.