Transfer window closing earlier in England.

beergod

Silly to start it in a World Cup year, but I don't think it will harm English clubs greatly in the long term. The only thing that is truly being lost out on is the ability to poach players from sides dropping out of the final CL qualification rounds like we did with Martial.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
The only reason why this won’t be a complete disaster this year is because of how much more financial power English teams have compared to La Liga, Bundesliga and Serie A teams. They will be able to still sign players ahead of deadline because clubs won’t care to wait for other clubs post deadline because they will know that Fulham or Crystal Palace can give you a much better offer than Betis or Sampdoria.

If it were remotely close then English clubs would miss out on many targets they could have otherwise got.

el3mel

Doesn't it look like we're pretty much the only club struggling with it ? Liverpool and Arsenal finished their summer and Chelsea are finishing what they want currently. It looks like the only club who struggled is us, not a general case here.

Last edited:

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
They all got it wrong.

The agreement should have been;

- No transfers between two English clubs after XX.XX.2018
- No transfers at all after [European Deadline]

Am I missing a key point? Because that solves the problem without causing another.

podurban2

They all got it wrong.

Am I missing a key point? Because that solves the problem without causing another.
In practice would result in clubs signing more non-English players. The FA probably don’t want that.

endless_wheelies

feeling dizzy
They all got it wrong.

I think that was the original plan... not sure what happened to it.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Doesn't it look like we're pretty much the only club struggling with it ? Liverpool and Arsenal finished their summer and Chelsea are finishing what they want currently. It looks like the only club who struggled is us, not a general case here.
Spurs too

el3mel

Spurs too
Even though I thing they're irrelevant, but that makes 2/6. Not much of a case to be able to change it. They'll only rethink it if most big clubs had problems doing their summer business with this early deadline.

We'll simply have to adapt.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Even though I thing they're irrelevant, but that makes 2/6. Not much of a case to be able to change it. They'll only rethink it if most big clubs had problems doing their summer business with this early deadline.

We'll simply have to adapt.
I'm not sure Chelsea are super happy about the Courtois situation and having to go out and break their own record to sign a highly promising but pretty much inexperienced keeper.

el3mel

I'm not sure Chelsea are super happy about the Courtois situation and having to go out and break their own record to sign a highly promising but pretty much inexperienced keeper.
Courtois has been linked for a move out the whole summer. His quotes before the season ends were pointing to him wanting to leave. It wasn't a surprise for anyone. They still adapted and splashed cash.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Doing that and doing it in a year of wc was madness. Tomorrow lots of PL clubs will be forced to pay over the top for players. What a stupid decision this was

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Courtois has been linked for a move out the whole summer. His quotes before the season ends were pointing to him wanting to leave. It wasn't a surprise for anyone. They still adapted and splashed cash.
Not that I think this is in any way up for debate - the whole closing down early, as it's stupid - but with regards to the Chelsea situation he forced a move by not showing up for training which was a few days prior to the deadline.

el3mel

Not that I think this is in any way up for debate - the whole closing down early, as it's stupid - but with regards to the Chelsea situation he forced a move by not showing up for training which was a few days prior to the deadline.
Agree but what I meant is that, this wasn't a surprise as he was already wanting the move for the whole summer. They should have just granted him his wish and sold him earlier instead of gambling on him changing his mind.

endless_wheelies

feeling dizzy
Maybe...maybe... it will help English clubs next summer because transfer fees will be so deflated over the next few weeks this summer that our clubs can point to them when negotiating next summer.

Clutching at straws.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Shutting the transfer window earlier is collectively one of the stupidest decisions the PL clubs have made. However, this window could be open for another two months and I’d still not be confident of signing the players we need. Let’s be honest, it’s been a complete shambles.

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
I gather it was Frank Spencer's idea to close the window early in a world cup year.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I think it's a somewhat reasonable idea on principle. Big clubs who've started poorly shouldn't be able to suddenly go and bolster their squads on the back of weaknesses they've only identified after the season has started. Clearly some logistical issues though insofar as it being so close to the WC is concerned, as well as the fact it differs elsewhere in Europe.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Because Prems clubs govern by separate entity from EFL clubs. This deadline between Prems only.
Yeah, but the transfer window closes for the EFL too tomorrow. But not loans. I get why they would want to keep the loan window open longer, but why wouldn't the Prem clubs also, that's my pondering..

Red_Orchestra

Absolutely ridiculous new window and a terrible decision by the clubs. So Pogba, for example, can be sold to Barcelona after the start of the new season and we can not buy a replacement during the same transfer window.
I'm sure Pogba wouldn't do us dirty like that and leave us hanging, would he?

ghagua

The moaning clubs that voted to end the transfer window early are a bunch of idiots. After the transfer window closes, they will see the rest of Europe picking up good players at decent prices once the English transfer premium is taken off the market.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
Happy Transfer (Partial) Deadline Day everybody.

Patrick08

Both Ins and Outs should be closed together, European clubs can still buy from Epl clubs is poor decision making.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Yeah, but the transfer window closes for the EFL too tomorrow. But not loans. I get why they would want to keep the loan window open longer, but why wouldn't the Prem clubs also, that's my pondering..
Hasn’t the loan window always been longer for lower divisions? It makes sense, when the season begins those teams can decide what their needs are, there are injuries happening and top division teams get to figure out which players won’t exactly get much playing time there so they can send them to develop somewhere else. Honestly I would keep the loan window open for lower division teams all year long.

Micky Targaryen

Disaster of an idea considering that we're the only league doing this. Why fix what isn't broken??

Implementing it during a World Cup year is the icing on top of the shitcake.

Member 5225

Sorry if this has been asked before, but am guessing player exchanges (now that the window is closed in England) isn’t do-able?

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
It's a good idea in theory however

1- implementing it during a WC year was a massive oversight
2- non English clubs shouldn't still be able to bid for our players once our window has shut. Barca's Pogba interest a prime reason why as while you would hope Thursday would see an end to the rumours it actually wont until August 31st
Well you can't really force others to work on your rules can you? FIFA/UEFA tend to let the English to mess things up only for them to slowly learn from their mistakes. It worked with the FA refusal to have England play in the WC or English clubs to play in the European cups. We're still waiting for them to realise the stupidity behind this new rule, their obsession with a physical type of football and other rules like the infamous 3pm game blackout.

Albert@13

Supports
Liverpool
The moaning clubs that voted to end the transfer window early are a bunch of idiots. After the transfer window closes, they will see the rest of Europe picking up good players at decent prices once the English transfer premium is taken off the market.
I don't think so. Clubs can refuse to sell and with good reason too. They can't sign replacements, therefore they will not sell anyone they need for the season. A bid does not compel a club to sell. And if the other club is really insistent, they can jack up the price to a "no brainer" level i.e. slap on a 50% premium for not being able to replace the player.

In any case, it's not like clubs didn't realise this would be the case a year ago. Everyone knew when the world cup was and should have gotten their transfer business done earlier. if clubs can arrange and complete transfer deals in January, they certainly can also do that over the summer.

Additionally, clubs can still do deals at any time. They just can't transfer the registrations until a transfer window. So clubs just need to tee-up their transfers early, and then rubber stamp them once the windows open. Any clubs moaning that the short transfer window has impacted their ability to do business is just finding an excuse / scapegoat for their own failures.

Last edited:
Reactions: golden_blunder