Transfers: Is our REAL issue selling players, not buying them?

Lentwood

Accusations of lack of investment are rife on this forum. In fact, I would expect that if you ran a poll, more than 50% of United fans would believe the club has under-invested in the transfer market since the arrival of the Glazers.

The problem with this argument is that it simply does not stand up to any kind of scrutiny in 2020.

I myself highlighted the lack of investment as a primary cause for our decline post-SAF, and it’s certainly true that the Glazers initially cut costs prior to refinancing the loans leveraged against the club in 2010. This meant that key players were allowed to leave or retire without being replaced, and this certainly hurt us for a period.

However, over the last decade, Utd sit 3rd in the ‘net spend’ table globally. Only the two oil-clubs (City and PSG) have outspent Utd in the transfer market (net). In the last three windows, Utd top the net spend table, having bought in Fernandes, Wan Bissaka, Maguire and van de Beek for large fees, as well as the significant investments in younger players we have seen recently.

Now, we can get into a whole other argument about HOW that money is spent and how the way the club’s finances are managed hurts us from a footballing perspective, but that’s not the point of this thread.

What I would like to know is why is our net spend so ridiculously high, specifically, why can’t we seem to sell any of our players for decent fees?

This is very important, because I think our fans are sometimes seduced into believing the likes of Real, Barcelona, Juventus, Bayern, Chelsea, Liverpool etc…are making huge investments in their playing staff because clearly the headlines that catch the eye are the one’s which detail huge sums paid for players. However, what they are forgetting to factor in is that these clubs are excellent at moving players on to fund incoming transfers.

Liverpool, for example, have recently sold Ibe, Brewster and Solanke for roughly £70m…that is about the same money they spent in purchasing Salah and Mane combined (or Allison or van Dijk).

Chelsea recently sold Morata and Hazard for around £135m. This has clearly helped fund their mini spending spree this summer. I could go on and highlight other clubs and other transfers but I don’t really need too…I feel the point has been made and the facts/stats are out there for all to see. I don't want this to turn into a he spent/they spent thread...the FACT (sorry to get all 'Rafa') is that we have the 3rd highest over the course of a decade and virtually no success to show for it.

Now clearly our players aren’t ‘rubbish’. They were identified and bought to United for a reason and most are full Internationals. Likewise, the young players were handed professional contracts for a reason and many of our former Academy graduates go on to become Premier League/Championship regulars.

So why can’t we ever move any of them on for decent fees? I read a startling statistic recently, United have only sold three players for more than £20m post-SAF, and all three were players we had recently purchased and were moving on at break-even or even a loss (ADM, Lukaku, Schneiderlin). In fact, we have only sold five players for more than £20m in our entire history, Beckham and Ronaldo being the other two.

Surely with the talent we produce we should be able to make a steady income from selling footballers on? Even just off the top of my head I can name Drinkwater, Keane, Josh King, Cathcart, Bardsley, Danny Welbeck, Tom Cleverley, Danny Simpson, Robbie Brady, Dwight McNeil, Adnan Janujaz, Gerard Pique, Guiseppe Rossi, Tom Heaton, Darron Gibson and Ashley Fletcher who have played top-flight football recently after leaving Utd. That lot in their prime in today’s market is hundreds of millions of pounds of footballers!

So what is going wrong? Why can’t we get reasonable fees for these players? Are we not marketing them correctly? Do we let them go on the cheap out of some misguided sense of loyalty? Have we just not put enough thought into player sales due to the amount of revenue we raise elsewhere? Are our wages prohibitively high? Do we fail to put them in the shop window by freezing them out or sending them on bad loans? Do we allow players to run down their contracts and hold us to ransom for a cheap move?

I’m genuinely interested to know…we do develop plenty of PL-standard talents. We should be using these players who we develop that end up falling just short to fund transfers for the first team but we’ve massively failed to do that. For all the moaning about the Glazers, they have sanctioned investment in the team beyond all but two other clubs in world football. Other clubs are balancing the books by funding transfers by selling players…why are we not able to do the same?

On that note…should now be the time to consider selling the likes of McTominay, Tuanzebe and Williams? Controversial opinion sure, but is this the most valuable they will ever be? If they will never become Utd regulars, would we rather have them pad out the squad or should we be looking to sell to fund the arrival of one or two players who WILL make the 1st team? Understand people will be split on this and I like these players myself…but again is this WHY we have failed to get value for our players? Are we too sentimental and not ruthless enough? Case in point, what could we have got for Lingard after the World Cup? I would have thought £40m likely not out the question…now we would be lucky to get £10m! I’m sure there were Liverpool fans who were against the sales of Ibe and Solanke, but I bet they’re happy now!

Thoughts?

bushyzor

The real issue is the wage structure (and by implication us overpaying players) in my opinion.

bazalini

The Baz Man - He made us laugh 2000 - 2012
What a bloody great thread....

Posters should pay Redcafe.net for reading such a brilliant, thought out and presented thread.

And I agree with you

I agree, this club is too sentimental when it comes to players. Instead of selling players we just keep giving them new deals all the time.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
It all comes down to a lack of long term planning at the top, not helped by the timing of changes in management over the last few years.

Too many players have been lucky to go through the 'getting a chance under new manager' phase at just the right (wrong) time.

We have to be making clear decisions on players before they get down to two years on their contract. Either they are long term first team quality worth a new contract or they need to be sold, no in between.

We have to pay closer to market rates. We have far too many players signing contracts that they would have no chance of getting elsewhere. This is partly caused by the the issues above and letting them get close to leaving for free.

TheGodsInRed

I disagree, the fault is all down to the asset investment. When you sign a player, you have to include their wages in the transfer also, and the stupid wages we are paying means our purchasing as been even worse than it looks on the surface. You’ve got to include re-signing players on stupid wages that aren’t worth their value too.

If Jones was on 30k per week, not £130k, we would have no problem selling him. Similarly, if I stick my car on eBay I will have no problem getting it sold for the market value - doesn’t take a genius to sell in a buyers market. However, if I sell it with a knackered engine, which costs £130k per week in running costs, I’m gonna struggle to make that sale. Players hardly ever accept pay cuts, their agents won’t allow it.

Selling assets is easy if they are desirable, you just sell to the biggest buyer.

It’s a weakness of our structure.

go back to when David “I win” Moyes took over, and each new manager gives players a fresh start.

then you add on players that don’t fit a new manager, and we have a big problem on our hands.

we do need an overarching view on the team, and the long term vision. That doesn’t mean that we will get it right, and it’s not a silver bullet. It doesn’t mean that we wouldn’t have bought dross like Lukaku or Sanchez, but it should improve how we operate, where we don’t offer the likes of Jones. Bailly and Rojo new and big contracts. There is of course the possibility, that a DofF or similar, thinks that these players are actually worth keeping - so as I said, it’s not a silver bummer.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
United are one of the very few remaining family clubs, from the minute a player comes into the club till the second they leave the club will always try and do what's best for the player, and not what's best for the club, especially when they leave, United would rather the leaving player takes a bigger cut of the offered package(fee + wages) and we should all be proud of the club for that, but apparently not!

Deery

Dreary
Good post, I think keeping the academy players is because they are on lower wages it was always like that under Ferguson, Scholes and Giggs being our best players weren’t on high wages. So it makes sense to keep McTominey, Williams and Tuanzebe rather than have to replace them with players on higher wages.
The real problem occurred when we started giving out higher wages to players like Lingard, Jones, Mata now we can’t sell them because no one will pay their wages. Also extending contracts to players past their primes like Matic getting a three year contract will make them hard to sell.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
United are one of the very few remaining family clubs, from the minute a player comes into the club till the second they leave the club will always try and do what's best for the player, and not what's best for the club, especially when they leave, United would rather the leaving player takes a bigger cut of the offered package(fee + wages) and we should all be proud of the club for that, but apparently not!
it doesn’t sound like that with Evra, Rio, Romero and god knows how many other players. One of the main criticisms of the club recently has been that it has lost some of its family vibe.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Good post. Most of our misgivings as a club boil down to one person Ed Ed Ed. I'm sure he thinks he's being smart offering long term contracts to average players thinking the longer the contract the more he could get for him in the transfer market but what really happens is we give them a hefty pay rise which most clubs aren't willing to pay so at the end of the day we're pricing ourselves out of the market and end up being stuck with more deadwood. This is one of the many issues that needs to be brought under control.

Class of 63

Sourness
it doesn’t sound like that with Evra, Rio, Romero and god knows how many other players. One of the main criticisms of the club recently has been that it has lost some of its family vibe.
I don't pay too much attention to what Rio and Pat say about the club these days, too soon they forget United gave them the stage to become household names world-wide and extremely wealthy young men in to the bargain, anyho, my comment was as much to do with the suggestion in the op re. moving the Academy Grads(Scott, Axel and Brandon) on to bring money in towards the transfer kitty, and I still believe the club would prefer the player to benefit from it more than the club.

We don't train players to sell, nor buy players in to polish to sell on, but sadly more and more clubs these days do.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Obviously. Ed threw money at the problem at the start, then realised it was misplaced ambition. Now he has gone the other way, but predictably not really getting it fully still, so failing at that too.

Foxbatt

Because we only want to sell them when they become crap. Who wants to buy them at a decent price when they are so crap. Mata was an expensive player but now who is going to pay him a decent fee? Jones is the resident sick man and no club would pay him that much to get him off. The same with Rojo. The best the club could do is actually lower the transfer fee so that they would be able to move and get the wages off the book. Who is going to pay multi millions of pounds to buy Maguire or Bailly? I do not think even Pogba can get a fee of 50 million now.
We should stop looking at the Bundesliga and La Liga and look at smaller leagues and look early enough. Look at De Laet. He was recommended and we refused before he became famous. I mean even Jose targeted him in the EL Final. So why didn't we try to buy him instead of Maguire? He was cheaper than Maguire at that time for sure.

wolvored

Because we only want to sell them when they become crap. Who wants to buy them at a decent price when they are so crap. Mata was an expensive player but now who is going to pay him a decent fee? Jones is the resident sick man and no club would pay him that much to get him off. The same with Rojo. The best the club could do is actually lower the transfer fee so that they would be able to move and get the wages off the book. Who is going to pay multi millions of pounds to buy Maguire or Bailly? I do not think even Pogba can get a fee of 50 million now.
We should stop looking at the Bundesliga and La Liga and look at smaller leagues and look early enough. Look at De Laet. He was recommended and we refused before he became famous. I mean even Jose targeted him in the EL Final. So why didn't we try to buy him instead of Maguire? He was cheaper than Maguire at that time for sure.
Yes agree. We only look at the players that aint playing like Jones for example and you have to say would we buy him how he is now; and of course we wouldnt, so how do we expect to sell him and why give a 5 year contract to a worthless player due to him being perpetually injured?.
What Woody should do is ask the manager when a player is in his last 18 months is you aint playing him regular shall we try to sell him of give a new short contract. The manager is the one who picks the team so he should have the final say, and if a player is still wanted, but doesnt play regular, just offer a 2 year contract max and dont offer another £50-100k on top.

Lentwood

Most of the points about us not being able to move senior players on because of their wages makes sense but it doesn’t really explain why we have been so abject at raising funds from selling Academy players.

We saw Michael Keane playing for England on Wednesday. How much did we sell him on for? We saw Drinkwater win a title and go to Chelsea for £50m. What fee did we get? Zaha is now being touted as a £75m player...I think we sold for £10m? Josh King is being heavily linked with a move before the end of the window and if rumours are to be believed, we bid £30m in January! I could go on and on...

Begs the question I alluded to in my OP. At what point should we be looking to move Academy players on if they haven’t quite reached the level required? In addition, how do we make sure we maximise the fee we get for them?

My own personal feeling is loan them to easier European leagues. If they hit 20 and they don’t look like making the first team, send them on loan to Ligue 1, the Bundesliga or the Dutch/Portuguese League.

Deery

Dreary
Most of the points about us not being able to move senior players on because of their wages makes sense but it doesn’t really explain why we have been so abject at raising funds from selling Academy players.

We saw Michael Keane playing for England on Wednesday. How much did we sell him on for? We saw Drinkwater win a title and go to Chelsea for £50m. What fee did we get? Zaha is now being touted as a £75m player...I think we sold for £10m? Josh King is being heavily linked with a move before the end of the window and if rumours are to be believed, we bid £30m in January! I could go on and on...

Begs the question I alluded to in my OP. At what point should we be looking to move Academy players on if they haven’t quite reached the level required? In addition, how do we make sure we maximise the fee we get for them?

My own personal feeling is loan them to easier European leagues. If they hit 20 and they don’t look like making the first team, send them on loan to Ligue 1, the Bundesliga or the Dutch/Portuguese League.
Would never work nowadays as players have agents from they are no age and will always be looking for the quick/big paydays. I think Ferguson alluded to a few times saying agents are killing the game.

It’s not just us if you look at it Chelsea lost Salah, DeBruyne, Lukaku for pittance and Man City lost Sancho for 8m.

Liverpool might look like they got a good deal with Brewster but there’s nothing to say in a few years he won’t be worth more than the £26m they sold him for.

All in all we need more football men in positions of power to make the hard decisions of when to sell at a good price or renew at a good price.

Last edited:

wolvored

I would put buy back and sell on options into their contracts. For example if we sold a 20 yo player for £2 million I would say we have first offer to buy him back for 25% of the selling price or 25% of the sell on value.
Then in 4 years time if he has done well and is a £50 mill player we can either buy him for £37.5 mill or get another £12.5 mill when sold.
The trouble with that is you need the buying club to agree to that.
Its now being reported we didnt sign Haaland as we wouldnt agree to a sell on clause being inserted. Bizarre as we would have only have sold him if he was a flop, or if Madrid offered stupid money for him.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
We have a strange habit of offering contracts to players who don't deserve them.

I understand it to a degree, getting a fee for an unwanted player...but we have snookered ourselves to a degree because they've done feck all to show any other clubs they are worth a fee and they don't fancy a pay cut from their earnings here.

Jones and Rojo spring immediately to mind. Why the feck would anyone pay anything for them?

Contract extentions for them were disgraceful.

Deery

Dreary
I would put buy back and sell on options into their contracts. For example if we sold a 20 yo player for £2 million I would say we have first offer to buy him back for 25% of the selling price or 25% of the sell on value.
Then in 4 years time if he has done well and is a £50 mill player we can either buy him for £37.5 mill or get another £12.5 mill when sold.
The trouble with that is you need the buying club to agree to that.
Its now being reported we didnt sign Haaland as we wouldnt agree to a sell on clause being inserted. Bizarre as we would have only have sold him if he was a flop, or if Madrid offered stupid money for him.
Haaland probably had a release clause in the contract to and because we see ourselves as a super club, it would be looked upon as beneath us.

Rightly or wrongly the deal wasn’t one we wanted.

Lentwood

We have been accused in an article by 'The Athletic' recently of not understanding the 'Dark Arts' of transfers...is this contributing? Are we not pro-active enough?

For example, if we know a mid-tier club has lost a key player to a bigger rival, should we be straight on the phone hinting that some of our fringe players may be available...even if that player might not necessarily want to transfer at that point?

For example, if West Ham lose Declan Rice...would that be an opportune time to put in a cheeky call and ask if they have thought about Scott McTominay?

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Buying is also an issue since we spent the money recklessly but since you said this isn't a place to discuss it, overall I agree, selling players has always been a nightmare for us. If Conte wasn't Inter manager I think we would have sold Lukaku for 30m.

dove

Yes, combined with overpaying. Don't even need to look far, £80m for Maguire is a terrible transfer. We are really bad at selling but I think that club is thinking like many of our fans do. For example I think that if we got a decent fee for James (close to what we paid), we should sell him however apparently the club and many of our fans don't think so because we blindly hope he will turn good even though we all know he won't. Same with the likes of McTominay. I know he is a fan favourite but I think we could have got quite a good fee when there was a hype around him. That money could have helped us getting Sancho but now instead we are stuck with player who is very limited and will lose value every year and eventually leave on a free in 2027. It happens a lot of our players because we stick with them for far too long as if we owe them something.

Bestietom

Yes, combined with overpaying. Don't even need to look far, £80m for Maguire is a terrible transfer. We are really bad at selling but I think that club is thinking like many of our fans do. For example I think that if we got a decent fee for James (close to what we paid), we should sell him however apparently the club and many of our fans don't think so because we blindly hope he will turn good even though we all know he won't. Same with the likes of McTominay. I know he is a fan favourite but I think we could have got quite a good fee when there was a hype around him. That money could have helped us getting Sancho but now instead we are stuck with player who is very limited and will lose value every year and eventually leave on a free in 2027. It happens a lot of our players because we stick with them for far too long as if we owe them something.
I really don't see Sancho as a world beater and can't see the fuss being made about him. Jesus if it was George Best I wonder what it would be like on here.
Why isn't Sancho doing it for England if he is so good, I mean Rooney done it and Beckham done it, for England as well as their clubs. I would give these 2 young wingers that we brought in, a chance to prove themselves, and forget about Sancho and concentrate on other areas of the pitch, like CB and a 30 goal a season CF.

POF

Good thread. The inability to sell players at reasonable fees is certainly as big of an issue as signings but it's really the same problem.

Recruitment/roster management just seems so haphazard at United. It's such a fundamental element of the success of the club, both on the field and financially and it just seems to be an after thought.

In the seedy world of football transfers, United seem completely naive. They don't seem to be well connected, seem to do most deals through intermediaries and usually chase players when they are at the absolute peak of their value.

The most important thing United are lacking is a role (whatever you want to call it) that is responsible for management of the playing roster and a clear strategy for that role to work within.

They seemed to have their "sign young hungry players with the right attitude who really want to play for the club" policy. Now they've realised that strategy will be really expensive so have gone looking for bargains instead.

What they're doing now is not working. The key strategy seems to be to wait until the very last minute in the hope the selling club drops their price. If not, just pay way too much anyway.

With the run United went on at the end of last season, it is incredible to see a team so bereft of confidence a few games into the new season. That's the impact the incompetence in player recruitment has created.

Judge needs to go and they need a well connected head of recruitment who can work with Ole in rebuilding the squad with the type of players the club wants to build the culture around.

Bazi

Supports
Bayern Munich
Players won't forsake high wages.
The fear of losing players on low transfer fees or even a free has imo led United onto an unsustainable path where too many mediocre players sit on fat long-term deals.

At Bayern we practice the exact opposite and sometimes we really take it too far which is one of the reasons why we lost Thiago, but on the whole I'd say it's a big positive becausae we rarely ever have any players on the wage bill that we want to get rid of but can't.

Stretender

The issue is Ed Woodward. Until he is removed from running football matters, things will get worse.

No competent Director of Football would perform like Woodward. He seems to act 2 days before transfer deadline day, all the bloody time.

Some of our players are overrated like Lingard, Jones, Rojo, McTominnay, Forsu Mensah and Perreira which means no club will pay what we think they are worth,and rightly so.

However for some players like Romero, Smalling, Mata etc, our inability to sell them at good prices is because we are not good at the job of selling.

It all goes back to Woodward. Do you honestly think if Van Der Sar was in charge,we would be this incompetent in the market? I don't think so.

Lee565

I think it all points to needing a footballing director that makes the call with selling and hiring players/managers and having a clear vision of club philosophy because we have been wasteful in recruitment due to the forever changing style of football and player preferences under every manager we have had post fergie.

I also think we have been poor with using the loan system compared to the likes of chelsea and real madrid.

davidmichael

Our transfer business in general is a fecking joke whether it be incoming or outgoing and has been for about 6-7 years now, we’re by far the poorest run major club around and until we bring someone in to work solely and exclusively in that specific department it’s going to be rinse and repeat of the past 6-7 years with lots of false dawns and lots of major lows.

b82REZ

:lol: what a load of absolute sentimental waffle.

The transition into RAWK is almost complete

Deery

Dreary

Kinda true I think the academy is or a least was used as a rolling income for the club. We used to sell 2-3 players a season at about £1m each, tidy little earner for the club and if we come across a talented one he can go in the first team on low wages. So it’s as much business as it is sentimental.

hobbers

The real issue is actively trying to be the club that pays the most in wages, in order to make us more attractive to the wrong sorts of players.

What a load of nonsense. Tell that to Lukaku, Sanchez, Romero, Rojo, Smalling etc

Class of 63

Sourness

You just can't handle the truth!!

As long as the club cover the development costs(was £250,000 probably nearer £300,00 now)they are quite happy for Academy lads to move on to further their careers elsewhere, and not treat them like meat like most other clubs do.

But if you wanna go on thinking everything the club you say you support does is shite/amateurish/embarrassing fill yer boots!

b82REZ

You just can't handle the truth!!

As long as the club cover the development costs(was £250,000 probably nearer £300,00 now)they are quite happy for Academy lads to move on to further their careers elsewhere, and not treat them like meat like most other clubs do.

But if you wanna go on thinking everything the club you say you support does is shite/amateurish/embarrassing fill yer boots!
I've not said any of things and your post is still laughable.

It's more of the "our club isn't like other clubs" sort of shit that is holding us back, and like I said, like Liverpool in the 90s and 00s.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
The issue, IMO, has always been the wages we offer. The issue in some way started with our decline under Moyes/LVG and how those transfers eventually turned out.

If you're buying a Zlatan, a Pogba, a Di Maria and you don't have CL to offer, you would have to tempt them to the club with high wages. And let's be honest, for the wages that these players have been on, they have not exactly worked out. Di Maria had performed horrible and IIRC Young and Januzaj started over him towards the end of the season. Zlatan was decent. Pogba has been ok-ish at best - has had great games where he looked levels above any other player but on the whole he's been Meh.

If you know that you're performing better than these players, obviously you'd demand much higher wages than what you're getting. Else, these players on not so high wages can easily get a move to any other top team. And for the club it's cheaper to keep a player who's done well, than to keep this flop and buy a new player who may or may not be a good signing. It's exactly why we had to extend Mata's as Lingard, Pereira had done nothing to convince the management that Mata wouldn't be required at all. And one can point to many more such examples.

Long story short, the basic wages need to be much lower than what we're offering, and the performance related bonuses need to be much higher to incentivize the players. I don't mind higher signing on fee if that's what it takes to convince a player to join us though, as we need to offer them something up front to convince them to join us.