Trophy-wise, what sort of success would you settle for in future?

Polar

We have to consolidate top-4 before start talking about titles. It’s a fair chance top-4 isn’t going to happen this season and then we have to wait for the next season and talk about titles after that again.

Are people ready to stop talking about titles until 24/25 :nervous: Suppose not. That’s why we probably have to live in pain a couple of years.

Deery

Dreary
A couple of premier leagues and a couple of champions leagues..

Steve Bruce

I wouldn't settle for anything, I think at the moment we as a fan base are settling too easily. We should start every season aiming to win the big trophies.

Obviously a bit of context needs to be adhered to in the next couple of seasons. 1st thing we need to do is get the right manager in, 2nd get the recruitment right, 3rd get them to gel and become consistant. This is what I'd like next season, it's a foundation building season, the following season I want us to be where chelsea are now, comfortable top 4 and look likely to go deep in champions league.

The 3rd season want a strong challenge for the title and again go deep in the champions league and this to be the minimum every season therafter. Easily said than done however.

My main point is getting the right man in, give him the tools and time to steer us in the right direction. There's no over night fix.

elnorte

Freaky fly day
Fourth in the league will be an achievement from now on. Perhaps an underdog domestic cup run as well.

Lentwood

I would be happy enough to be in the hunt for trophies every season, winning the odd one along the way.

The thing is, I was lucky in the sense that United were the best team in England and possibly Europe during the years when football to me was life.

Now I am a bit older and have other priorities, I have come to realise that it's still fun, win or lose, if you don't let yourself lose sight of the fact it is just a game.

Ultimately, I still love watching United and chatting about United, whether we are good, bad or indifferent.

I've seen us be really good and really bad, but it makes no real meaningful difference to my overall love for the club.

I suppose I have come to realise that it's about the journey, not the destination (man) :lol:

quiet_united

Vietnamese Red
I assure you, my friend.
We are not going to fluke any CL trophy in the near future.
The CL is ridiculously hard to win.
It’s not easy. But worse teams have flukes it. You don’t have to be the best team in Europe to win it. I think it is likely we will win the CL before we will win the league again.

PoTMS

Ideally, I'd want us to at least achieve what Chelsea do. Going season after season potless is not acceptable for a club like Manchester United. Of course what I want and what will happen is entirely different.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
The title of this thread was originally going to be 'do you think we will ever rediscover past glories'. Realistically the answer to that question is 'no'. United are no longer the dominant force that we were and whilst it is clear that United are no where near its ceiling, even if we reach that level City, Liverpool and Chelsea are already there. Therefore I cannot see how we can be the dominant force that we once were. Not only that but within five seasons Newcastle will likely join that group.

That said, trophy-wise, what should we expect? Personally, I would settle for a Premier League title every three or maybe four years and a Champions League every seven or maybe eight years. To supplement the above, I would be happy to win one of the cups every couple of years as well. This would mean that we could expect to win a trophy of some description every couple of years. With the spending power that we have and the quality of player and manager we should be able to attract, I think that is perfectly reasonable.

But what do you think? What sort of success would you settle for in future?
The PL is outdated -

When the World Oil cup final is held ( and every other round) is held in Saudi then Man United should aim to win that

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
What is this word 'trophy' - I do not know it :(

Lynty

Relegation.

I couldn't personally do anything about it and i'd still (begrudingly) follow the club regardless. I expect most fans here would be the same. Isn't that settling?

What do I 'want' to win? Everything.

Threads pointless.

Green_Red

Would love to see us win a La Liga and a Serie A. Think the club has really neglected those competitions.

wolvored

Like everyone else I would like to win the PL. This depends on the next manager and this time they need to get it right. I hope we win a cup next season and with the right manager who can properly coach the players he keeps, signs the right additions, and I think or hope with Arnold leaving the football to the footballing people; If all this happens a cup next season isn't too much to ask. Then hopefully within 3 seasons a proper attempt at the PL.
I dont want the next 9 years looking like the last 9 and I'm confident they wont be.

wolvored

I would be happy enough to be in the hunt for trophies every season, winning the odd one along the way.

The thing is, I was lucky in the sense that United were the best team in England and possibly Europe during the years when football to me was life.

Now I am a bit older and have other priorities, I have come to realise that it's still fun, win or lose, if you don't let yourself lose sight of the fact it is just a game.

Ultimately, I still love watching United and chatting about United, whether we are good, bad or indifferent.

I've seen us be really good and really bad, but it makes no real meaningful difference to my overall love for the club.

I suppose I have come to realise that it's about the journey, not the destination (man) :lol:
Yes thats a good analysis. I am in the same boat as you. Im more mellow now if we lose I dont go into orbit and if we win I am happy. We were in a unique 23 years with the Fergie success and even if he had have stayed after 2013 I think with the emergence of Chelsea and City as a money backed force we wouldnt have been anywhere near as successful after 2013 as we were before.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Ideally, I'd want us to at least achieve what Chelsea do. Going season after season potless is not acceptable for a club like Manchester United. Of course what I want and what will happen is entirely different.
Bollocks. Even if we got to their level of winning a cup every year people would soon be moaning that we aren’t challenging for the league every single season.

Maticmaker

This club once won in one season the 'top treble' available to an English Club, CL/PL/FA Cup that is the benchmark we set and that should always be our aim! (even if in the meantime we have to win them one at a time!! :))

I've made this point elsewhere, but in my opinion United are always at their best when they are prepared to challenge the status quo, e.g. when Busby took us into the European Cup competition (against the wishes of the then English League), When Fergie took the PL by storm, winning 13 out of the first 20 competitions.

What comes next? The 'Super League'??
So OK it wont happen as it was planned a few months back, but it will happen in some format in the future and we have to be on the front row and ready.... the trouble with 'success' is you can never settle for it!

Zlatattack

The club lowered it's expectations and we're sinking because of it. We've become Arsenal with our top 4 trophy.

If you want to be an elite club, you have to both think and act like one. Manchester United have the legacy, the fan base, the infrastructure required to be an elite club, we've been one in our very recent past, but the longer it goes on, the further away we get from getting that back. How many of our current crop have lifted trophies either here or at other clubs? Memories alone don't create a legacy.

I don't think we'll likely ever do what we did in the 90's again, but I expect us to be like Chelsea or Man City who start every season with the expectation of winning the title, winning cup competitions and trying to win the CL. That's what we used to be under SAF, even when we had to compete with Chelsea and Man City for the title in the final years of his time. The expectation was always there at every level of the club. Talk of transition needs to stop - its an excuse.

ronaldinhoisagoat

We are now in the same tier as Lecesiter/West Ham/Tottenham/Arsenal ... I'd be happy with just watching us play good, open, expansive football ... if a trophy comes, it comes. This 'trophy'-business is now only for the likes of City/Barca/Bayern. We lost the right to think that way when we made OGS permanent.

Eli Zee

I've already settled for a lack of success. Still a United fan - haven't won squat basically in a decade.

In my ideal world, I'd like to see us win the EPL once every 4 years (basicallly competing with chelsea city and Liverpool) minimum, as well as truly competing for the champions league and being able to compete with teams like bayern.

OJKernow

Right now, any trophy would do. We don't have enough winners in the squad, and even winning a League Cup or Europa League shouldn't be sniffed at.

In a fairy-tale world, we'd be competing for the PL and/or CL every season, and winning one of them relatively regularly. But times have moved on, things change, and my expectations are more focussed on enjoying watching our team play nowadays, that's the most important thing to me as a fan.

I (and many of us) have been blessed to see our team win more trophies than most fan bases get to see in a lifetime. I know that mentality is not 'the United way', and 'we shouldn't let our standards slip', but I'm afraid football has moved on, other teams have progressed, and we've slipped into mediocrity.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
After the Boro game I'd love clearout more than a trophy.

Build something better and trophies will come naturally.

OldRed1

Rangnick and Guardiola being interviewed
Interviewer - So Ralph what would you like out of this season?
Ralph - A top 4 place would be nice.
Interviewer - And Pep what would you be happy with?
Pep - Champions league, FA Cup, League Cup, League Title and the World Club Championship.
Interviewer - Aren't you going a bit over the top there Pep.
Pep - Well he started it.