Try Martial as a LW

ItDoesntEvenMata

Any retired player would probably put a better shift in than that lazy git. The fact that anyone still places him anywhere near our team after 8 years of failure is ridiculous

didz

Just.. why?

We don't need a left winger. If we did, we'd need one with pace. We do need a striker though, and since he's the only one with a full season in that role, why not let him play there for both the matches he'll be fit for before his contract expires?

ItDoesntEvenMata

Just.. why?

We don't need a left winger. If we did, we'd need one with pace. We do need a striker though, and since he's the only one with a full season in that role, why not let him play there for both the matches he'll be fit for before his contract expires?
Because he's consistently been below par for us for around 5 years.

Let's just let him sit on the bench where he can't do any damage

wolvored

Try Antony at left wing. He's got no right foot and playing him on the right hasn't worked the previous 50 times.
Ive said this many times. See how he plays as a 'normal' winger and see whether his crossing works

PieCrust

Um, no thanks. Martial has been done here for years. There is nothing new to discover or any more chances needed. especially at what is one of our strongest positions (maybe not saying much).

I'll be happy if he never makes another appearance.

Gordon Godot

Um, no thanks. Martial has been done here for years. There is nothing new to discover or any more chances needed. especially at what is one of our strongest positions (maybe not saying much).

I'll be happy if he never makes another appearance.
Yep, try Martial out of the club in January. He is finished.

Gator Nate

He definitely needs a slower league to play in. His last outing, it looked to me that he was trying to run but simply could not. He was making the runs and the cuts, but it was like he was stuck in molasses.

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
He's done it before to a high level and we have a striker that is starving of service anywhere and especially the wings

Martial will be better than Garnacho over a whole game and can provide moments of magic as well which is all Garnacho currently provides

It's a sensible try to me
he used to play there, good idea but now he doesnt have legs to play LF

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
He's done it before to a high level and we have a striker that is starving of service anywhere and especially the wings

Martial will be better than Garnacho over a whole game and can provide moments of magic as well which is all Garnacho currently provides

Martial can provide moments of magic.... good grief.
The only magic is the fact that he still gets paid.

Oranges038

He definitely needs a slower league to play in. His last outing, it looked to me that he was trying to run but simply could not. He was making the runs and the cuts, but it was like he was stuck in molasses.
I hear the over 75s indoor challenge football is always looking for ringers.

Can he make it up 2 flights of stairs unassisted?

criticalanalysis

OP joined in 2017 and must be a time traveller because this is a thread that can only have come from that time.

NLunited

He can’t play in the wing no more, not even in the championship. He’s broken.

Amira

I think it’s a brilliant idea. As long as he isn’t playing for us.

Cecc

Sorry but Martial is finished and shouldn't play for the club again. I was a big fan, but just it didn't worked out. Time to move on. I hope we get another forward in winter.

Orion.

This version of him needs it to be 2002 so he could be the lazy, creative one in the ‘2’ of a 4-4-2; him and Hojlund would actually compliment each other. As a left winger though, it’s far too late.

daveskimufc

Not a chance, lazy player.

Martial is lucky there's apparently no kids quite up to it yet or he wouldn't/shouldn't even make the bench

flameinthesun

I think what we are seeing from these fluctuating performances of the team is that Ten Hag's tactics really relies on everybody playing their part for the sake of the whole. As much as I think, from an attacking perspective, Martial's touch, hold up and dribbling would help, in the end his lack of intensity, lack of pressing and defensive contribution would just end up being a detriment to the team and Ten Hag's tactics.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
We've tried him there before (with Zlatan up front) and he didn't like it. Played as if he had his mother in law constantly yelling at him.

cyril C

He can't run.
Martial can run, but will not. Don't expect him to man-mark defender, track back or help on defence except on set piece. If we can totally dominate our opponent and can afford 2-3 players no need to track back, then perhaps Martial will be a good choice as LW.

Trigg

aka Trippin_Stoned
Martial can run, but will not. Don't expect him to man-mark defender, track back or help on defence except on set piece. If we can totally dominate our opponent and can afford 2-3 players no need to track back, then perhaps Martial will be a good choice as LW.
I honestly don't think he can run anymore. I don't know if he struggles with ongoing issues but we've not seen him run full speed for a long long time.

Maticmaker

Tony Martial is now very much the 'busted flush'.

Injuries, loss of form, and an attitude that at times seems all but indifferent, especially in terms of defensive duties; not only does he not like doing his shift in this respect, he gives the impression that he has no intention of 'mucking in'.
It would appear no one else wants him (or can afford him) he certainly doesn't appear to want to be put in the shop window and so will continue until his contract terminates. Rumour's abound about how he is a favorite with one of the Glazers, this would certainly have not helped with his management, if it's true!

He seems to have never got over Rashford replacing him out wide on the left, he has a times shown he could lead the line in the centre better than Rashford, but it has been limited exposure and fleeting at best. Whatever his mind-set now it seems permanent. Playing him out wide now is just giving a third choice 'cut in' winger a place when others who are better at that skill should always be ahead of him. If he could demonstrate an ability to hit the bye-line and lay-back balls into the box for others run on to, then he could re start his career... but I wouldn't hold my breath on that!

Theo88

Maybe try him as GK. He's big he's crafty who knows :lol: the guy cant move. I'm sometimes buffled at how desperate we can become in trying to believe one of our players can still be a thing. Lingard would be a better option now :lol:

Mart1974

harbours delusions of insignificance
Martial as a 10? Good touch and hold up.

Red00012

Maybe try him as GK. He's big he's crafty who knows :lol: the guy cant move. I'm sometimes buffled at how desperate we can become in trying to believe one of our players can still be a thing. Lingard would be a better option now :lol:
Can you imagine him as a right back up and down the wing for 90 mins . Now that would be a sight

Theo88

Can you imagine him as a right back up and down the wing for 90 mins . Now that would be a sight

You know what, I'd like to see Antony as a RB (or an LB) i went to Anfield yesterday for the game and to be frank i felt like Antony was probably our best wingback from the game :lol:

As for Martial his body has given up he can probably compete in Saudi or Turkey or Greece but he isnt one for the premier league. He was serviceable last year btw but now, oh gods its like having 10 players.

Is Dwight York the one who converted into cdm at some stage in his career ? Or was it Alan Smith ?

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads

Not sure how you can’t see that he’s incapable of running after all his injuries.

He’s now a shite version of Michael Owen for us.

Captmfla

Martial cannot do really well as a winger in the premier league. During friendlies, it's possible for him when the defenders are not serious and don't run hard or don't tackle as much.