Turnovers

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.

Even today we forced a high turnover in the first half but spunked it

This is what ten Hag is cooking but we're squandering it. Look at my lips, we're squandering it.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!

Even today we forced a high turnover in the first half but spunked it

This is what ten Hag is cooking but we're squandering it. Look at my lips, we're squandering it.
Can't see them dear

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Can't see them dear
They usually occur seconds before McTominay receives the ball and does nothing with it other than let the opposition have time to regroup.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Been the 2nd most frustrating thing to watch this season after the goals we've gifted. So many last passes missing, runs not used, poor finishing.

The Hilton

This is what I've been banging on about for the past few weeks, trying to cut through the complaints. We've won the ball high up the pitch time and time again, in every match we've played, and have wasted the vast majority of those turnovers with a poor ball or poor decision. Once we start getting those right, we'll see a huge upturn in our goal output, our comfort within matches, and also in teams struggling to keep possession against us (due to a fear of us winning the ball and punishing them).

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
This is actually really interesting and promising to hear we’ve been able to do this with such consistency despite all our injuries.

The worry is of course why aren’t we converting more of these into chances/goals but I have no idea what is considered good chance creation from high turnovers.

Von Mistelroum

It's mostly on our 'creative' players who are the least creative creative players in world football.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
This is actually really interesting and promising to hear we’ve been able to do this with such consistency despite all our injuries.

The worry is of course why aren’t we converting more of these into chances/goals but I have no idea what is considered good chance creation from high turnovers.
Yep. And the narrative that Ten Hag does nothing and has no actual plan is false. This is part of our approach this season, and it's working in part. However it's a bit suicidal and when the players aren't confident on the ball we get in scary situations all too often.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Yep. And the narrative that Ten Hag does nothing and has no actual plan is false. This is part of our approach this season, and it's working in part. However it's a bit suicidal and when the players aren't confident on the ball we get in scary situations all too often.
Yeah and I hope that as they get more and more used to being in those game states they get better at dealing with them.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Yeah and I hope that as they get more and more used to being in those game states they get better at dealing with them.
Even if we sack ten Hag I hope the next coach keeps trying to get us to force high turnovers as they will bear fruit at some point.

Smores

Is the high turnover representative of a high quality team press or just that we play with a 1 one man midfield? Eye test says the latter.

I'd rather that stat reduce a little if it meant we're not quite as exposed in the centre.

InfiniteBoredom

It's mostly on our 'creative' players who are the least creative creative players in world football.
It’s a lack of discipline and application imo, something EtH has repeatedly lamented.

When you force turnovers, especially high turnovers, it’s imperative that all that are in position make the runs to open options for the passer. Of course, our passing needs work too as I believe most of our attackers are a bit shit in this regards, but if they generally always make the practices runs then the one with the ball has more options, or can release it quicker.

The lack of perseverance and fortitude in our team’s mentality manifest in these aspects, as soon as the practiced moves don’t work for a few times, they revert to bad habits and start playing ponderous, low intensity football. It’s pretty telling that we tend to start well with lots of energy but flag quickly after 20-25 min if we don’t find the goal.

Lentwood

We do seem incredibly bad at exploiting these turnovers.

Again though, this doesn't really let ETH off the hook. Forcing the turnover is one thing, coaching is still required to maximise them.

For example, I can see what our problem is...watch when we DO force a turnover. We panic and we rush. We try to play one killer pass, attempt a low xG shot from distance or a player attempts a take-on and loses the ball and/or is forced wide.

What you have to do is stay calm, be patient and move the opposition defenders. You do this through clever movement off the ball to shift defenders and simple passes to switch the angle of the attack and exploit the space.

Essentially if our players don't do this naturally it needs to be coached into them.