U-18s v Everton

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
United drew 1-1 with Everton at Liverpool on Saturday morning. United field a team with a few changes and it was a good game of football.

United equalised through Brandy with about 15 minutes remaining after he came on as a substitute for Danny Galbraith. Brandy was rested after appearing for England under-18's in a 0-2 defeat to France on Thursday night.

Everton hit the post 3/4 times so perhaps could feel unlucky not to have taken all points however the Everton keeper also made quite a few good saves.

Team: Amos, Derbyshire, Lea, Chester, Cathcart, Hewson, Bryan, Eikrem, Welbeck, Fagan, Galbraith

Subs: Zieler, Brandy (11)

Scorer: Brandy

Interesting........Everton's keeper was Lee Crockett!!

Lee has been unable to get a game at United and is on loan to Everton over the last few month. He is staying in digs in Manchester and driving over to Liverpool each day. While it looks like Everton have their share of keepers and will not sign him, the loan agreement gives him a chance of playing regularly and getting noticed by other clubs.

Einar15

Brandy seems to be in good form so far this season with 4 goals in 5 games.
Also it seems like Danny Welbeck will be playing for the u-18-s altough he's still a schoolboy. He must be really talented.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Maybe I am way off, and that this is a feeling it is easy to have each year, but do we not have extremly many good players in our academy, also compared to earlier years? It seems like we have quite a bounch of very young players - even in this context. Welbeck is probably not more than 15 years old and is already in the U18. Eikrem, Galbraith, Amos, Derbyshire and McCormack is still only 16 years old.

Our U16 team seems incredible. And four of our players have been a part of Englands U16 team squad. Welbeck and Norwood played for Englands U16 team when they where 14 years old. And several of our U16 players - only 15 years old - have already played for our U18 team.

I remember Meulensteen said that we where starting to see the results of new training methods in our acadamy. He also claimed that the players in the age between 12-15 years old where several levels above players in other clubs at the same age, because of these methods. What do you say Tony, do you see the same pattern?

westlife4ever

andersj said:
do we not have extremly many good players in our academy, also compared to earlier years? It seems like we have quite a bounch of very young players - even in this context.
Yes I agree with that.

I have a feeling that, in this bounch of 16-year-old players who play for U18, there will be several boys break into first team years later.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
andersj said:
Maybe I am way off, and that this is a feeling it is easy to have each year, but do we not have extremly many good players in our academy, also compared to earlier years? It seems like we have quite a bounch of very young players - even in this context. Welbeck is probably not more than 15 years old and is already in the U18. Eikrem, Galbraith, Amos, Derbyshire and McCormack is still only 16 years old.

Our U16 team seems incredible. And four of our players have been a part of Englands U16 team squad. Welbeck and Norwood played for Englands U16 team when they where 14 years old. And several of our U16 players - only 15 years old - have already played for our U18 team.

I remember Meulensteen said that we where starting to see the results of new training methods in our acadamy. He also claimed that the players in the age between 12-15 years old where several levels above players in other clubs at the same age, because of these methods. What do you say Tony, do you see the same pattern?
As always it is hard to tell until they start to develop and play in higher leagues......however, I have watched them three times in the last three weeks and they play some cracking football............not only as individuals but also as a team.....time will tell.....