U/18's vs Barnsley

Einar15

The Utd U18's lost to Barnsley 3-2.

United's goals came from Oliver Norwood from a free kick and Jimmy Derbyshire. Matthew James scored an own goal(very unlucky) and Barnsleys second goal was scored by an former Utd trainee Jacob Butterfield.

Lineup: Zieler, Moffatt, Dudgeon, James, Strickland, Norwood, Derbyshire, Hewson(Stewart), Bryan, Fagan(Brandao), Ajose.

The team was missing alot of players due to euro u17 qualifiers.

julesee

was quite an interesting game actually with some fantastic goals - and havent seen a lot of these lads before. Brandao looks big and storng, and skillful though there probably wasnt much chance for him to shine given Barnsley's hustling approach. I do think its likely the current U-16s, so Norwood etc, are going to better than the current U18s.... Norwood, Moffatt etc look harder than the some of the current U18s....

PS18

Amos and Welbeck are with England u17s (played last night i think), Brandy is playing for the u18s in midweek so presumably has joined up already.

couldn't say for sure about others but i suspect Evans, McCormack and Galbraith will be with their respective u17 squads. maybe Eikrem too. will have a check.

Cold_Boy

How good are Barnsley? I mean Is losing to them not a bit of problem?
Surely our youngsters should be way better than theirs'.

PS18

you have to take into account the strength of our side. we were missing nine of our first choice u18 side (only Hewson and Fagan would usually start, worth considering the former played for England u19's in midweek and Fagan appeared for the reserves on Thursday night) - Ben Amos and Danny Welbeck played for England u17s yesterday, Febian Brandy is with England ahead of their u18 game on wednesday, Daniel Galbraith played for Scotland yesterday, Richard Eckersley, James Chester and Danny Drinkwater played 90 minutes for the reserves on Thursday so were never going to play today, Craig Cathcart was on the bench for NI U21's today. No idea why Tom Cleverley didn't play, but you get my point. Add to that Corry Evans away with NI u17s and Conor McCormack with Ireland u17s (Magnus Eikrem maybe away with Norway too?) and you've got one seriously depleted squad.

six of the starting lineup and both subs are all u16s with relatively little experience at u18 level, we were always going to struggle today. by the sounds of it we were up against the sort of team we always struggle against at this level and the lads acquitted themselves pretty well. you also have to remember that results really aren't the be all and end all at this level, and aren't that reliable an indicator of the relative quality of the two sets of youngsters.

Einar15

I have high hopes for this years u16's. I think players like James and Norwood will be much more effective than McCormack or Derbyshire because they just look much stronger and seem to be more complete players(they both have very good passing ability, they can win headers and just score goals).
But i think our defence might be a problem next season especially in central defence, i think Strickland will be our only proper centre back unless we sign someone.
But our attack will probably be our strongest area with Welbeck, Ajose, Bryan, Williams and Brandao

What do you guys think, will we have a team who will be able to win the youth cup next season??

julesee

Einar15 said:
I have high hopes for this years u16's. I think players like James and Norwood will be much more effective than McCormack or Derbyshire because they just look much stronger and seem to be more complete players(they both have very good passing ability, they can win headers and just score goals).
But i think our defence might be a problem next season especially in central defence, i think Strickland will be our only proper centre back unless we sign someone.
But our attack will probably be our strongest area with Welbeck, Ajose, Bryan, Williams and Brandao

What do you guys think, will we have a team who will be able to win the youth cup next season??
Just on the basis of today's performance i think you may be right..... i think there's some good players in the new crop. This season's U18s looked a bit soft down the middle and to be frank slightly lacking in flair (Brandy and perhaps Eikrem excepted, though Eikrem looks to me to be a good passer and not much else to be honest). And I wouldnt read too much into today's result at all - Barnsley were all brawn.

PS18

yeah, i've got the same concerns about the defence next season - unless we bring someone else in from outwith the current u16s, it's presumably going to be Strickland plus one of the many midfielders we have who seem to have filled in at centre-back this season (James, Norwood, Evans, McCormack etc). in attack we could/should be the strongest we've been in years though - the five named above plus Galbraith and the young irish lad Chris Curran who's coming in who seems to be very highly-rated, that gives us a hell of a lot of options.

M160RA

How old is that Nordveidt kid? If we sign him in the summer, he'd be a pretty good addition for next year's U18 team, assuming he's young enough.

westlife4ever

unless we bring someone else in from outwith the current u16s, it's presumably going to be Strickland plus one of the many midfielders we have who seem to have filled in at centre-back this season
how about Oliver Gill? i think he's playing regularly for u16s this season.

btw, who were the unused subs against Barnsley?

Einar15

There were no unused subs.

I think Oliver Gill was offered a scholarship but he rejected it, but i'm not sure.

aft

How old is that Nordveidt kid? If we sign him in the summer, he'd be a pretty good addition for next year's U18 team, assuming he's young enough.

It's Nordtveit, actually. Howard North-Thwaite, born 21.06.90. Have you ever wondered about the origin of Howard and all the Thwaite-ish names? ;)