U17s - Generation Adidas Cup (1-9 April)

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout

Group 2:

Saturday 1 April
Vancouver Whitecaps vs United 1-3 (0-2)

Sunday 2 April
D.C. United vs United 7-6 pens (0-0)

Monday 3 April
United vs Columbus Crew 0-1 (0-0)

//

Wednesday 5 April
LA Galaxy vs United 1-0

Thursday 6 April
United vs Charlotte FC 5-4 pens (1-1)

Saturday 8 April
CF Montréal vs United 3-4 (2-2)

Sunday 9 April
United vs New England Revolution 3-2

More info here.

Last edited:

Bertie Wooster

Thanks for that link.

I think I watched this last time live on YouTube. Hope it's on there again this time.

mav_9me

I live 1 hr away from where this is happening. And I have time off. Might go there to watch the games.

top1whoisman

Scout
"Twenty-eight Generation adidas games, including championship matches in both divisions, will stream live on MLS Season Pass, the subscription service from Apple and Major League Soccer on the Apple TV app. 12 group play matches will feature MLS academies against international clubs in the U15 and U17 age groups. The remaining 16 games will include select Round of 16 and Quarterfinal matchups, along with all Semi-Final, Third Place and Championship matches."

Monday 3 April
19:30 BST United vs Columbus Crew

...is the only United's group game that you can watch live on MLS Season Pass, based on the info I've seen. I've also tried to find out the travelling squad but without success thus far.

Bertie Wooster

"Twenty-eight Generation adidas games, including championship matches in both divisions, will stream live on MLS Season Pass, the subscription service from Apple and Major League Soccer on the Apple TV app. 12 group play matches will feature MLS academies against international clubs in the U15 and U17 age groups. The remaining 16 games will include select Round of 16 and Quarterfinal matchups, along with all Semi-Final, Third Place and Championship matches."

Monday 3 April
19:30 BST United vs Columbus Crew

...is the only United's group game that you can watch live on MLS Season Pass, based on the info I've seen. I've also tried to find out the travelling squad but without success thus far.
Will be interested to see the squad if you do find it out.

That's disappointing to hear about the lack of United coverage, and on a stream you have to pay for. The last time, as we mentioned earlier, a good few of the United games were free on the MLS YouTube channel. Not sounding like that'll be the case this time around, which is a shame as I was looking forward to watching it.

Gungerz

James Bailey & Ethan Wheatley are there. No Lacey who's on international duty & Ibragimov who can't go.

top1whoisman

Scout
Incredibly hard to find any info in terms of squads, starting XIs, goalscorers, how many minutes have been played etc.

Anyway Whitecaps 0-2 United. Probably HT score (if the match kicked off when it was supposed to), no clue.

Edit: Yes, that's the HT score.

Last edited:

top1whoisman

Scout
FT Whitecaps 1-3 United

Columbus Crew beat DC United 4-1 in the other group game.

Bertie Wooster

Thanks for the updates. Good to know the HT, FT scores at least.

Really disappointing that we can get to watch them this time, or even find out the touring squad let alone the starting line up.

Gungerz

The game on Monday against Columbus Crew is being shown on MLS Season Pass - Apple TV. If you don't have that (like me) then the highlights will be free to watch, so hopefully we'll have an idea of the squad then.

Last edited:

Gungerz

Speaking of Musa, Athletic Bilbao fans on social media recently discovered he's eligible for them & have been getting a bit excited. Don't think there's any immediate danger of him leaving as he signed a pre-scholarship when he joined us a couple years back but you never know.

Last edited:

Beaucoup

The game on Monday against Columbus Crew is being shown on MLS Season Pass - Apple TV. If you don't have that (like me) then the highlights will be free to watch, so hopefully we'll have an idea of the squad then.
Wheatley
Musa
Scanlon
Bianchari
Berry (c)
Fitzgerald
Munro
Armer
Bendito
Kamason
Murdock

I think

top1whoisman

Scout
Final group game against Crew today.

Only group winners get guaranteed advancement to the round of 16, and to reach that we need a win in normal time. Six best second placed sides also advance so there’s still a chance even if we don’t win.

Crew 6
United 4
D.C. United 2
Whitecaps 0

top1whoisman

Scout
United XI:

Murdock
Kamason
Munro
Mills
Mantato
Biancheri
Fitzgerald
Devaney
Musa
Wheatley
Berry

Bertie Wooster

Thanks for the regular updates @top1whoisman and @Beaucoup. Much appreciated.

Hope they can advance to the next stage tonight.
Who's Mills? I'm assuming an U16 player who hasn't yet featured for the U18's as I don't recognise the name?

top1whoisman

Scout
Thanks for the regular updates @top1whoisman and @Beaucoup. Much appreciated.

Hope they can advance to the next stage tonight.
Who's Mills? I'm assuming an U16 player who hasn't yet featured for the U18's as I don't recognise the name?
Albert Mills (2008), just turned 15. He was in the U15 squad in this same tournament last year. Defender/midfielder I believe.

Bertie Wooster

Albert Mills (2008), just turned 15. He was in the U15 squad in this same tournament last year. Defender/midfielder I believe.
Thanks. :)

I hadn't heard of him, and that's the beauty of tournaments like this and the NI Milk Cup. They're a good introduction to some of the U16 players before they step up to the U18's over the next year or two.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
0-0 at half, Crew the much better side and simply playing several levels of intensity higher. Musa and Wheatley look very sluggish in attack.

Mills is playing at CB, picked up a yellow card for pulling down a forward after stumbling on the ball and losing possession.

Mrowka and Habroune the pick of the bunch out there so far.

top1whoisman

Scout
Thanks. :)

I hadn't heard of him, and that's the beauty of tournaments like this and the NI Milk Cup. They're a good introduction to some of the U16 players before they step up to the U18's over the next year or two.
Exactly. Kind of first case of exposure too as there's a bit more people watching the tournaments or tuning in via streams etc.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Crew score direct from a corner to win in the 4th minute of injury time. Very unlikely to advance now.

Devaney was sent off.

Murdock was good in goal and Fitzgerald gave a strong showing midfield but deserved result, Columbus were the much better side.

top1whoisman

Scout
FT D.C. United vs Whitecaps 3-5 pens (0-0).

United finish second in the group but as @limerickcitykid said 4 points won't probably be enough. There's something called a "consolation" bracket so we'll probably still play some matches, whether it's that or a friendly against an academy.

Edit: Yeah we were the worst second placed team in the groups.

Bertie Wooster

Ah, shame.
Thanks for all the updates. Disappointing set of results, but hopefully it'll still be good experience for the youngsters.

top1whoisman

Scout
Wednesday 5 April
21:30 BST LA Galaxy vs United

Thursday 6 April
19:30 BST United vs Charlotte FC

Saturday 8 April
19:00 BST CF Montréal vs United

Sunday 9 April
19:00 BST United vs New England Revolution

Last edited: