U18s: Liverpool 1-9 United

KevinJoh

Who from this team could make it into the 1st team soon?
Not sure what is soon, but till the end of the next season a few might get a debut depending on situation in the team, injuries and which positions are up for grabs.

Amass as LB probably is the first option as we are short there with Shaw often injured, and no serious backup with Malacia who knows in which condition. We will probably buy LB, and have Alvaro and Brandon back, but I guess both will be sold.

Ethan Williams is someone who is the closest in the term of development. He is dominant in U18 and also very adapted to U21, playing against stronger lads is not a problem for him. With a year of body development, I would be surprised if he doesn't get a chance in the next 12 months to be around first team. His problem might be that he has two serious contenders for his position in Rashford and Garnacho.

From the others it is always easy to make a space for debut of the forward, so Wheatley might get a chance. He is strong, and with basically only one striker in the team and addition of one in the summer, he might get a chance on the bench if one of them injured.

I think a lot of others are capable to develop to first team material, but really depends on the next year of development. Similar to Garnacho for example, you can see rapid development in strength in one year. A lot of the have really good understanding of the game. Both CBs, Jackson and Kingdom are very good for this age, McAllister, Fitzgerald, Kamason, Scanlon, Devaney have serious potential depending of body development and minutes to develop experience. Lacey definitely talent, as well as Ibragimov, but both I think too young for next year.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Not sure what is soon, but till the end of the next season a few might get a debut depending on situation in the team, injuries and which positions are up for grabs.

Amass as LB probably is the first option as we are short there with Shaw often injured, and no serious backup with Malacia who knows in which condition. We will probably buy LB, and have Alvaro and Brandon back, but I guess both will be sold.

Ethan Williams is someone who is the closest in the term of development. He is dominant in U18 and also very adapted to U21, playing against stronger lads is not a problem for him. With a year of body development, I would be surprised if he doesn't get a chance in the next 12 months to be around first team. His problem might be that he has two serious contenders for his position in Rashford and Garnacho.

From the others it is always easy to make a space for debut of the forward, so Wheatley might get a chance. He is strong, and with basically only one striker in the team and addition of one in the summer, he might get a chance on the bench if one of them injured.

I think a lot of others are capable to develop to first team material, but really depends on the next year of development. Similar to Garnacho for example, you can see rapid development in strength in one year. A lot of the have really good understanding of the game. Both CBs, Jackson and Kingdom are very good for this age, McAllister, Fitzgerald, Kamason, Scanlon, Devaney have serious potential depending of body development and minutes to develop experience. Lacey definitely talent, as well as Ibragimov, but both I think too young for next year.
Lacey is the same age Amass, Fitzgerald & Devaney.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian

This is a reasonable response.

Three things dictate whether a youth player gets a chance:

1. They are over-performing at their current level and deserve a chance
2. There is a spate of injuries and we have no choice
3. We are winning 5-0 and therefore giving a youngster a few minutes at the end helps their development and poses no risk to the result.

In terms of the first point...Garnacho, Mainoo and maybe Gore were the only players who fall into this category. Williams has done well so maybe he is a 4th.

In terms of the second...Ogunneye, Kambwala, Forson, Amass, Williams, Bennett, Aljofree, Shoretire might be the ones to consider and ETH has done that by involving them in match day squads. All these players have been consistent without being spectacular.

The last group could be anyone of course depending on coaching staff recommendations. This is where the likes of Scanlon, Ibragimov, Lacey might see some action.

As far as the others are concerned, most players don't meet the criteria in Point 1. McNeill, Musa, Wheatley aren't scoring half enough goals, others have been in and out of the U/18's for one reason or another. I still think 90% of our juniors still have a bit to do and you have to trust the coaching process.

One final point. You just never know. You have to take risks and try players out to see if they can make the jump. Most won't so you have to factor that in but who knew the likes of Rashford, McTominay and others would go to play over 100 games for us.

KevinJoh

Lacey is the same age Amass, Fitzgerald & Devaney.
Yes, but his body is not developed the same. He is behind them in that department, although he is really talented. Still, for playing with seniors you need to have body ready for that, not because you can't make a pass, but because you can get injured easily in duels. Maybe he will grow up and bulk up in the next 12 months, who knows, but at the moment, he looks like a year younger at least. He will get there for sure, sooner or later.

Prodigal7

Yes, but his body is not developed the same. He is behind them in that department, although he is really talented. Still, for playing with seniors you need to have body ready for that, not because you can't make a pass, but because you can get injured easily in duels. Maybe he will grow up and bulk up in the next 12 months, who knows, but at the moment, he looks like a year younger at least. He will get there for sure, sooner or later.
I remember reading an interview by Lacey’s brother saying that we’ve done tests that show he will grow significantly and that his current size was not a worry for the club. It’s on the internet somewhere. I hope a massive sudden growth spurt doesn’t affect his agility or coordination though

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Being realistic 1 or 2 of the group may go on to become regulars of first team squads, many will be sold and 1 or 2 may lose their way in the football journey. I don’t see anything which suggests it will go any differently from any other group in years gone by.

stealthy

That is the reality, 1 or 2 from this group would be excellent with so many variables such as injury, ability, lifestyle choices, having the right agent, opportunity etc it so unpredictable
It will be more like one United squad member, 1 or 2 other PL players, a few EFl careers, and a handful falling out of game and playing non league. I think that’s the reality based on history

the only time recently I can think of a group of players greater in number is Chelsea with the all conquering groups including Abraham, Mount, James, Tomori, Gueye, and that was a group that was dominant in the Europa youth league which this group is yet to excel in. Unfortunately they may not get the chance next season

mav_9me

I think we overestimate the youth all the time. As you would expect.

They need to be special special talents, the likes of standouts such as Morrison, Pogba, Greenwood, Mainoo.

The others like McT, there is no way of knowing unless you know behind the scenes stuff.

KevinJoh

I remember reading an interview by Lacey’s brother saying that we’ve done tests that show he will grow significantly and that his current size was not a worry for the club. It’s on the internet somewhere. I hope a massive sudden growth spurt doesn’t affect his agility or coordination though
It is easy to know if he will get growth spurt at some point. At the level of science today, probably they know the time when it will happen measuring bones and muscles, and considering genes. So, no worry about that. The only thing that you can not know is will his skill decrease with growth and muscles, will he adapt. He will need some time for sure. Just saying that at this moment it is risky for him to play against grown up lads. Just look at the picture in his own thread from the first team training and compare him with the others like Amad and Antony

Archer

That is the reality, 1 or 2 from this group would be excellent with so many variables such as injury, ability, lifestyle choices, having the right agent, opportunity etc it so unpredictable
It will be more like one United squad member, 1 or 2 other PL players, a few EFl careers, and a handful falling out of game and playing non league. I think that’s the reality based on history

the only time recently I can think of a group of players greater in number is Chelsea with the all conquering groups including Abraham, Mount, James, Tomori, Gueye, and that was a group that was dominant in the Europa youth league which this group is yet to excel in. Unfortunately they may not get the chance next season
I think the 2017-2018 U18 Premier League North title winning team coached by Kieran McKenna is as good as that Chelsea team but rarely got mentioned, that team now has 3 La Liga players (including one certain Mason Greenwood), 4 Premier League players(Mengi and Elanga made their debut in last final games), 1 Bundesliga player ( could even be Bundesliga winner next weekend), 1 Ligue 1 player, and couple of EFL players and Scottish Premier League players.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
2 years ago I might have thought Charlie McNeil could make it here but I don’t think that’s the case anymore.
Don't think McNeil ever had a chance, was an excellent finisher but that's about it.

Wing Attack Plan R

2 years ago I might have thought Charlie McNeil could make it here but I don’t think that’s the case anymore.
He's only 20. I think we get spoiled when players like Mainoo come through at such a young age. Have to remember that players like Scholes didn't feature regularly in the first team until they were 21 and older. He has time to develop.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
He's only 20. I think we get spoiled when players like Mainoo come through at such a young age. Have to remember that players like Scholes didn't feature regularly in the first team until they were 21 and older. He has time to develop.
He does but he doesn’t really have any standout qualities/attributes to become a player at the highest level. You kind of need to have some at 20.

Remember the geese

McNeill isn't happening. Wheatley has a better chance and it's far from nailed on for him. Loads of players in with a chance though. I'm thinking Amass, Kamason, McAllister, Fitzgerald, J.Fletcher, Williams, Mantato, Lacey, Wheatley and Ibragimov are all in with a shot. Not all of them will make it at United and no doubt one or two players who I haven't named could crash that party (Missin, Baumann etc). Thwaites looks a very talented player, but I'll need to see more of him. Vitek, (who is older) and Harrison look promising from a goalkeeping point of view too.

Will be fascinating to see who can make it at United and who cannot. I favour some on my list a little more than others, but as well as ability and mentality, it's about luck and being given an opportunity in the first place. Certain positions at first team level will be more vacant than others, but in very rare cases, if a youngster is special enough, they will force their way in regardless.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
He’s 20 and has spent the past several years being poor at u21s level, poor in League Two, and poor in League One. Charlie himself can’t even believe he has a chance.

You can say some people get spoiled by the likes of Mainoo and start thinking every Tom, Dick, and Harry from the academy has a chance of making it despite failing to even be up to standard at far lower levels.

Scholes had almost 30 appearances and 7 goals in the season he turned 20. He also didn’t spend years performing disappearing acts in the reserves and lower leagues. There is no comparison to be made between the two.

Pericles

There is little evidence that he will make it here.
He is not only 20 but he is 20 struggling in a league full of 17-19yr olds. Poor performances almost week in week out.
All his loans have failed.

saik

I've got to say, I'm surprised there's someone here saying that McNeil has a chance to make it. He's already 20 and is nowhere near being impressive in the u21s this season. Even in the u21 match against Brighton couple of days ago he was very poor. Wheatley has way better chance and even he is not a certainty. I don't see how McNeil can make it when he is failing to shine even at the u21s level.

inflikted

Supports
Europa Point FC

Don't U18 PL winners qualify through the Domestic Champions Path? Italy had 5 Youth League teams because Lecce qualified that way this year.

Wing Attack Plan R

I've got to say, I'm surprised there's someone here saying that McNeil has a chance to make it. He's already 20 and is nowhere near being impressive in the u21s this season. Even in the u21 match against Brighton couple of days ago he was very poor. Wheatley has way better chance and even he is not a certainty. I don't see how McNeil can make it when he is failing to shine even at the u21s level.
One person here, me, saying "maybe".

inflikted

Supports
Europa Point FC

Scanlon will get a massive boost to the physical side by playing for Gibraltar in a much more physical environment. His positioning and movement is pretty good, and I have him down to be a top half Championship player at minimum.

saik

One person here, me, saying "maybe".
Yeah and I didn't ever imagine McNeil's name coming up as a probable. So was a bit surprised. Ofcourse he might surprise everyone but its a very long shot. There are players younger than him who are showing more in the u21s.

saik

Oyedele, Gore, Ibraghimov are also supposed to be doing very well and on the fast track.
Yea, Oyedele is playing for the u21s regularly, can't say how good he can be as whenever I watched him he doesn't impact games enough. Gore is out on loan(apparently injured?). But Ibragimov is surely being fast tracked. He's only 16 and already made 2 sub appearances for the u21s this season.

stealthy

Don't U18 PL winners qualify through the Domestic Champions Path? Italy had 5 Youth League teams because Lecce qualified that way this year.
Yes they do actually but they don’t enter group stage then go into a separate play off system and if successful join in the knockout stage, so maybe they will get the opportunity. If I’m honest though next year will be a year too early I think as it’s u19 and I think our u17 first years are collectively a stronger group

I think they may have a good chance in next years youth cup, and UYL the following year

Wing Attack Plan R

Yeah and I didn't ever imagine McNeil's name coming up as a probable. So was a bit surprised. Ofcourse he might surprise everyone but its a very long shot. There are players younger than him who are showing more in the u21s.
By the same perverse logic, McTominay isn’t good enough to play for the first team - and yet has 171 first team games under his belt. We used Weghorst because we had no one. I’d rather have used a young academy product like McNeil, and when Rashford switched to CF last match it was obvious that’s not his position.

In Rainbows

By the same perverse logic, McTominay isn’t good enough to play for the first team - and yet has 171 first team games under his belt. We used Weghorst because we had no one. I’d rather have used a young academy product like McNeil, and when Rashford switched to CF last match it was obvious that’s not his position.
Are you really counting on that happening again? Feels unreasonable. Most people base their opinions based on what's likely to happen.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
McTominay was the exception and not the rule and he also had a massive growth spurt when he was 17 which is fairly rare.

GueRed

Exactly what I thought about him first time around. :lol: What I like about him now is he seems to have added composure to his game. That 3rd goal was brilliantly taken.

Hopefully we can find him a loan next season. He's clearly better than u18s level now and I don't know if playing in u21s is any good for development.
Yeah it'll be interesting to see what the next step in his development will be. Loan looks likely atm

GueRed

I really like the play of Finley McAllister next time the under 18's are on, just watch his movement and his reactions as captain - the attacking and wide players get all the comments but for me, this young man is one of reasons this team is a good team. Wears number 8 now.
Good shout.

Thus far (alongside Harry Amass), my candidate for the U-18's Player of the Season.

Mr. Consistent and a driving force in that midfield.

Last edited:

bringbackbebe

Being realistic 1 or 2 of the group may go on to become regulars of first team squads, many will be sold and 1 or 2 may lose their way in the football journey. I don’t see anything which suggests it will go any differently from any other group in years gone by.
Come now @golden_blunder, don't spoil people wetting their pants. This group of young lads is the only thing positive from this season aside from Mainoo. Let's just assume they're all going to make it by 2026, which is at least 2 years of optimism to look forward to before realism hits.

saik

Come now @golden_blunder, don't spoil people wetting their pants. This group of young lads is the only thing positive from this season aside from Mainoo. Let's just assume they're all going to make it by 2026, which is at least 2 years of optimism to look forward to before realism hits.
Wait, did anyone really say all of them are going to make it? Most people are aware there's very little chance of that actually happening.