g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

U18s: Manchester City vs. Manchester United

In Rainbows

Gribbin would have been a big difference in this game. We missed a cohesive unit that could unlock a defense and I have to say, by Gomes' own high standards, I was a little disappointed he couldn't do more this game.
It's not like he was in an attacking position the whole match. He switched with DJ and played deeper for a while.

Apart from actual performance and result of the team, I thought Gomes' technical ability stood above everyone else's on the pitch despite there being a lot of technical players for both teams. Which is I guess obvious, but I liked seeing it on display. A lot of times, the City players didn't even go after him because of how assured on the ball he was.

One thing I would like to see Gomes improve on in the future is his ability to ride tackles.

Last edited:

Prodigal7

It's not like he was in an attacking position the whole match. He switched with DJ and played deeper for a while.

Apart from actual performance and result of the team, I thought Gomes' technical ability stood above everyone else's on the pitch despite there being a lot of technical players for both teams. Which is I guess obvious, but I liked seeing it on display. A lot of times, the City players didn't even go after him because of how assured on the ball he was.

One thing I would like to see Gomes improve on in the future is his ability to ride tackles.
I thought Gomes rode tackles well today and he was quite often in the final third with the ball. His talent can't be denied but I think he and the whole team need to learn to work better as a team when they attack. They need to learn how to better apply their talent as a unit to construct, create and score goals. I also think McKenna said this much in a pre match interview.City, despite (I don't think being a more talented team) were so much better at creating chances and constructing opportunities than us and it's clear now that with Peps arrival all their teams are going to play a certain way. I think that certainty gives there team more structure in the way they play, everyone was on the same wavelength in that team. We need a set structure of how to play throughout all levels at the club, but Joyce and McKenna are very different managers and I think this could effect the development of our players.

Sanchos was the stand out in this match for me, he's got fantastic feet. Our defenders (bar the excellent O'Connor) couldn't handle him even when they grouped together against him.

Last edited: